The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 89 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56521 - 08/18/05 08:50 PM Cindy Sheehan
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
I was at a gathering last night in support of Cindy Sheehan, the mother whose son Casey was killed in Iraq and she is camping near President Bush's ranch in Texas waiting for him to talk to her about the war. People certainly have opinions about her one way or the other (obviously I do too) but it also occurred to me that she is an example of a boomer woman mom who is making a difference. No matter where someone stands politically, Ms. Sheehan has made people take notice because she is an "ordinary" citizen with things in common with all of us. And she has been through a hell that all mothers and everyone with loved ones can understand.
I have to say that I admire someone who knows she'll get flack for taking a strong stand publicly and does it anyway. I'm not always that brave.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#56522 - 08/18/05 11:30 PM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
I personally think Cindy Sheehan is giving the kind of support to the troops that they need. She wants them home- whole in body, mind and spirit- something that her son Casey was cheated out of. Yes, he was a soldier- just as my son is in the Navy and yes, this was both of their choices- her son and mine. But a united States military person should protect the United States-what really are we doing in Iraq-The president declared victory many deaths ago- if he had declared victory and brought the troops home maybe I would not consider him an arrogant man. He chose to stay at home in 'his' war- Viet Nam-
I stood on the picket lines during Viet Nam- we blamed the government and unfortunately the troops.
Now I am a patriot who supports the troops- bring them home.

#56523 - 08/19/05 07:58 AM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Ladies,

I agree, I agree! I salute Ms. Sheehan and support our troops around the world doing the duty they are told to do. Definitely do not and never have supported the war. Thanks for attending the rally Dahti. Bless you Pattyann and I'll be praying for your son to stay safe.

Sandpiper

#56524 - 08/20/05 07:05 AM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
I will admit, at first I supported this war. Now we have done all we could and we need to get out of there.

My heart does cry out to Cindy Sheehan, losing a child is one of the most painful things that a human being can go through.

The only problem I have with this whole thing is that so many groups (both sides) are taking advantage of this woman.

I think the President needs to get off his high horse and show some respect to Cindy Sheehan, and meet with her.

Cathi

[ August 19, 2005, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Optimumsteps ]

#56525 - 08/26/05 07:18 AM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
It is true that we did not find WMD in Iraq, but IMO we fooled around with the UN so much old Saddam had plenty of time to ship them somewhere else. And most current and past world leaders agreed that they were there, including the UN. President Bush was the first who had the courage to do what he thought was the best for the country rather than what was best for his political career.

If we leave Iraq without completing the mission, then not only will I be ashamed to be an American, I fear that the terrorists will be emboldened and we will see more American blood spilled on our own soil. One reason we were attacked on 9/11 and are in a war is that we overlooked what was happening under our own noses. And all through the 90s, when the going got tough, the U.S. ran - that's why the terrorists think we're weak.

I hate to say it, but being "nice" doesn't work with the bad guys.

Americans have sacrificed their lives since day 1 and since there are such evil people in the world, we will probably be forced to until the end of time. If we don't fight evil, then it will overtake us.

It is very difficult to hear of our young men and women getting killed and injured. But I think these protestors could support the troops better if they would visit an injured soldier in person, shake his/her hand and give love, rather than spewing hate.

#56526 - 08/26/05 08:55 AM Re: Cindy Sheehan
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I'm sorry that anybody's son has to die in this war or any other. And Cindy Sheehan has my sympathy, not only because she has lost a son, but because she is being used. The liberal left has reached a new low in using a mother's grief for the meaningless rhetoric of its political statement.

Her son is gone and she is dishonoring his memory with her antics. Her son was not a child when he decided to serve. He was a man. He made the decision knowing the dangers. He served and died for his country. And he did it with honor. Now his own mother is dishonoring both him and the country for which he died.

War was and is the only possible response to an attack on our shores. Had we continued he cowardly policies of the nineties, we would still be under attack. If we are not engaging the enemy over there, they will be attacking us over here.

Liberals say the 9/11 attack did not come from Iraq, but at the least they were accessories. Just as the attack on Pearl Harbor did not come from Europe, it originated there. Iraq harbored the terrorists and was ruled by a man comparable only to Hitler in violence to his own people.

As to WMD's, numerous authorities throughout the world believed WMD's were there and as daisygirl said, Saddam had plenty of time to hide them. Iran is now developing its nuclear capability and it is likely that Iraq'a WMD's were transferred there. It would be foolish to attack Iran at this time. We must first establish allies in the smaller countries of the Middle East before attacking the larger areas.

In comparing 9/11 to Pearl Harbor, twice as many of our people died on 9/11 as died at Pearl Harbor and at Pearl Harbor, the attack was on our warriors. At 9/11, the attack was on our civilians, people just going to work. The 9/11 attack was on U.S. soil. At the time of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii was not even a state and yet, just as in the Middle East, we went to war to free the world from terror.

We are facing opposition as in rebuilding Iraq. We faced similar opposition in rebuilding after WWII. Long after the war was officially over, our troops and others were bombed and killed. Just as it in Iraq it took years re-establish governments and civilizations.

We won WWII because our people supported our troops. We lost Viet Nam because our people rejected our troops. (And no matter what rhetoric double talk the Liberals use, we cannot support troops without supporting what they are doing (i.e. fighting a war).

Another reason we won WWII, was because people were not bombarded by distorted truth 24 hrs. a day every day by a corrupt media.

I honor anyone's right to disagree, but I am a Patriot. Please do not attack my country.

#56527 - 08/26/05 05:17 PM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Ditto, Smile. I completely agree with you.

#56528 - 08/26/05 05:26 PM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This post reminds me of my friend who also lost her son in this war. I sat with her and wrote thank you notes to the hundreds of people who reached out to her and her family after his tragic death. Very emotional and touching.

She protested Viet Nam as a young adult. She couldn't stand the fact that her son wanted to serve, but she loved him deeply. She encouraged him to follow his dream, and she lost him.

I admire what she is doing with her grief. She is running for the House of Delegates. Her intention is not to speak out against the war, but to make a difference in our world, which is what her son lost his life doing. He would be so proud of her. She will also see to it that if there is anything in her power she can do to help our soldiers, she will. They need our support.

#56529 - 08/26/05 06:44 PM Re: Cindy Sheehan
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
A problem I've read about is she and her husband are now seperated and her two remaining kids are very hurt because she's emotionally deserted them. They said watching her makes them relive their brother's death over and over again.

And, if Bush sits down and talks to her he'll then be expected to do that with so many other grieving parents.

#56530 - 08/27/05 02:55 AM Re: Cindy Sheehan
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I totally agree with Smile. There is nothing this woman can accomplish except to be used for the liberal good. She needs to go home and care for her remaining children. She is being used and is making a fool of herself because of her grief....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved