The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#56376 - 09/03/05 12:21 PM hurricane help
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Many of you have expressed desire to help the hurricane victims. I'm posting two separate requests for help that came into my email via a poetry forum. I'll post them one at a time to avoid confusion. Here's the first:

Hey, here's the deal I live in Shreveport LA and well we've got over five hurricane shelters open right now.

What we are trying to do is get everyone involved in sending comics and coloring books to us so we can distribute them to the shelters for the kids.

please if you could have a night were people bring comics and coloring books and send them to

Tipitina's Music Office Co-Op
700 Texas ST
Shreveport LA

Many thanks in advance

Brian 'Cactus' Du Fresne

[ September 03, 2005, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#56377 - 09/03/05 12:26 PM Re: hurricane help
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Here's the second one. There are so many ways where we can help:

I now live in Lafayette, LA, and work for the American Public School Endowments. We are currently gathering funds to help schools overwhelmed with refugees, and (when the time comes) to help rebuild schools along the gulf that were destroyed by Katrina

anyway, you can give at www.apse.us

i will include our basic press release, and if you could, please pass it along to anyone who might help get the word out, mention it at your readings, pass the hat if you get a chance, it would really help out

I am guessing there have to be a few media folks on here, and at least a few more who know some...even the smallest hand mimeographed newspaper would help. the important thing is that we keep the effort going after the media frenzy dies down, because these schools are going to need help for months and months to come

here is the basic press info, with my contact info..if anyone has any questions, or wants to help in another way than simply donating, please get in touch with me

thanks,

"Ohio" Jake Rakovan

Press Release
For Immediate Release
Jacob Rakovan
jacob@booksXYZ.com

APSE accepting donations to aid school systems
decimated by Hurricane Katrina

Lafayette LA

“We urge you to make most of your donations for basic needs to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but we also ask you to remember that other, essential needs will continue for months and even years to come” said Dr Joseph Abraham, president of the Louisiana-based American Public Schools Endowments (APSE) Friday, Sept 2
APSE has utilized its existing resources to aid schools hit hardest by Hurricane Katrina, and to help offset costs of schools absorbing refugees.Donations for schools affected by the hurricane are accepted at www.apse.us . APSE and its affiliate and founding entity, the Acadiana Educational Endowment are 501(c)3
non-profit organizations. The AEE was founded in 1989 and has distributed over $200,000 to public education in Louisiana

[ September 03, 2005, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: meredithbead ]

#56378 - 09/03/05 05:22 PM Re: hurricane help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, thanks for sharing this information. I hope some of us jump onboard.

I'm anxious to go to church tomorrow to see what our congregation is doing/going to do. There are so many in need, it boggles my mind. I keep thinking...what if that were us? I can't help but internalize it. It's horrendous.

But...we have to believe that God is at work in our midst. I have been grateful to hear some people share their faith in Him, and place their faith in His will. When all is lost, what else do you have to hold onto? He is enough and we will get through this. It's going to take lots of gentle hearts to heal the people, and I have faith that the gentle-hearted will prevail.

#56379 - 09/03/05 06:18 PM Re: hurricane help
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here is another address where an influx of thousands of New Orleans have settled. As of yesterday, Sept. 2nd, Vickie Jackson-Public Relations Director of GSU's office said that their youngest Katrina victim is 8 days old.

You can email that office to see what may be needed there or send cash donations where 100% of the funds will be used to purchase needed items. If you do send a cash donation, make sure you earmark it to the Good Samaritan Operation since there are many contributors that send money to help the college.

The email address to the PR office director is jacksonv@gram.edu

Grambling State University
Operation Good Samaritan
Grambling, La. 71345

www.gram.edu for additional information

BTW Boomerwomen, this is my hometown. The PR's assistant said that many of the college students have taken some refugees in their dorm rooms. Many more are in the gyms and throughout the town and area.

Thanks for any contributions on behalf of a Grambling native,

Sheree Rabon

[ September 03, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Sugaree ]

#56380 - 09/05/05 05:05 AM Re: hurricane help
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
Thank you for the information! I have been researching additional places I can help---I made one donation to Catholic Charities (they have helped my family more than once.), but I want to be able to contribute where others may not be so willing to do so.

I know if the days--weeks & even years to come there will be people still in need of help after this tragedy. Please keep updating with information, because I am going to be there when others have "forgotten".

Thank You!!!!!

#56381 - 09/06/05 09:28 PM Re: hurricane help
Patricia Harrington Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Hurricane Help for Animals

I appreciate the messages of where and how to help. Thought I'd just mention two things I'm doing. First, in addition to the human suffering, there is that of the animals many families had to leave behind. In that regard, I'm donating seven dollars of every book sale from my just released whodunit mystery titled DEATH COMES TOO SOON. The novel features Bridget O'Hern, 47, and her pet companion, Narvik, and the story takes place on the Oregon coast.

If folks purchase the book online at Amazon or another bookstore and let's me know, I will donate seven dollars, split between two groups: the Louisana Veterinary Medical Association (lvma.org), which is setting up animal shelters throughout the impacted Gulf States; and also to elkhoundrescue.org, which is a rescue group for Norwegian Elkhounds, but also joining other rescue groups to provide food, supplies and support to the emergency animal rescue groups. (Elkhounds, by the way are used in search and recovery and also as cadaver dogs.) I'll confirm that I've given in your name. Details are on my site. The funding supports not just for rescue efforts of dogs, but of all the pets and animals left abandoned or injured.

The second way is that I'm the NW Chair of Mystery Writers of America for "Kids Love a Mystery" (KLAM), which takes place in October. I'll see if we can't get books for kids and youth sent to the shelters, as I understand there is a need for that.

Best to all,

Patricia Harrington

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved