The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 117 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#53996 - 04/22/06 08:28 PM Satire using Boomers
Mountain Ash Offline

For the first time I have experienced "humour" targeted at Boomers...

In a recent UK show where satire was being used in reference to waiting times for operations this was a rough description.
A close up of a man dressed as a doctor who spoke to the audience saying."Come on all you Boomers...there are too many of you...why dont you all shoot each other" etc etc...
It took a moment for me to realise that he actually said this.....I wonder if this is a taste of things to come.Having got the feminist point of view home do I have to go on another crusade.I know I did not refer to older people like this when I was younger.

#53997 - 04/22/06 10:17 PM Re: Satire using Boomers
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Yick! I know the boomer generation in the states was portrayed to some degree as being the retirees who would sink the Social Security Systems by just lying around collecting money.

The truth is that boomers want to continue working and, for the most part, don't see just sitting around doing nothing as a good future. It's tough to find a job after 50 here, however, in spite of the law against agism. Corporations seem to want young, easily influenced people whom they can hire two-for-one for the cost of an older worker.

As you can see, I'm already on this crusade! :-))

#53998 - 04/23/06 01:01 AM Re: Satire using Boomers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Here, here Casey keep up the good work we need all the help possible, wonder what boomers will be blamed for next?

#53999 - 04/24/06 10:27 AM Re: Satire using Boomers
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
mountain ash, casey, chatty .... do you remember the humour on the radio and tv when we were young ... didn't much of it seem to be aimed towards women drivers, mothers'in law and the obvious stupidity of women in general .... or was just me being overly sensitive .....?

#54000 - 04/25/06 07:48 AM Re: Satire using Boomers
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
As a blonde...:--))
Of course, I remember. The patronizing ....#$% that went on. It still happens. I really, really dislike being patronized as if I am a silly creature that still doesn't know anything at the age of 54.

#54001 - 04/25/06 12:37 AM Re: Satire using Boomers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Norma I believe you are 100% correct about the humor back then but now it just seems to me to be mean spirited towards we older women in general. Trying to make us appear stupid, needy or at best silly and that really pisses me off.

#54002 - 04/25/06 01:39 AM Re: Satire using Boomers
Tami Offline

Loc: Kansas
Duck's Back, Ladies! Just let it flow right off your back! We are a powerful generation of women...look at all we've accomplished and we're not done yet! The smart-aleck attempt at humor directed at us is a feeble, thinly cloaked shield against the level of intimidation we're capable of dishing out. I'll never shy away from a confrontation on this subject. I've snapped back on more than a few flagrant unfounded attacks on my generation from those hem-grabbing, incapable of an original thought next generationers.

One of my pet peeves. Fits right in behind stupid drivers.

#54003 - 04/25/06 01:27 PM Re: Satire using Boomers
Mountain Ash Offline

Hi All

yes duck's back.One person said too me."I am not going to be parked" as in put in a space in the parking lot.
My career was intergrating diasabled and fragile pupils/students into mainstream. Starting in 1979.
I did the whole thing....heard the lot.From professionals who wanted segregation.At the same time I was studying and door were opened by feminists writers.Along side that in the UK mines were closed so I have been around predjudice both in class and about class....I surely could tell the youngsters and "comics" a few things.BUT my power is staying quiet (for now) in the knowledge that we are a generation of great strength.capable and marvelous women.
Mountain Ash

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved