The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#215291 - 11/04/11 08:16 PM Megachurch...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Just read that Rev. Schuller from the Crystal Cathedral and his family have been taking huge sums of money from the church for their own personal use. Now the church is bankrupt. For years, I listen to this man preach! This is the kind of stuff that makes me not want to attend church. On another thread
Chatty asked the question, is there anyone we can trust?

#215307 - 11/05/11 01:30 PM Re: Megachurch...? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I don't know. I probably shouldn't have brought focus to this situation; but 10 million dollars seems excessive to me. And I'm quite sure lots and lots of people have had their spirits lifted by this man and his son's biblical teachings. Then we step back and say, was that all a sham? What's up with that??? mad

#215311 - 11/05/11 09:41 PM Re: Megachurch...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, Actually I think you were right to bring this to our attention. I haven't replied prior to now, because I was so shocked to learn what was going on at the Crystal Cathedral. I didn't know anything about this, though apparently it has been in the news for some time now.

You know how I operate, when I read your post, I went to Google and looked for links to news. Then I started reading what has been going on...and got too distracted to remember to come back here and comment.

There was a lot of news. Among the items I read:

Rev Robert Schuller Ousted from Crystal Cathedral

Crystal Cathedral: Is close inevitable?

Chapman increases offer to buy Crystal Cathedral

Crystal Cathedral email asks for food donations for Arvella Schuller

Crystal Cathedral Scandal Give a Bad Picture

Anyway, I don't have the stake you do in this, Jabber, as I have never given money to megachurches, preferring to give my money locally, where I knew more, personally, about the need and where, how the money would be used.

In view of this latest megachurch scandal, which certainly disappoints me, I hope people will be able to make the distinction between these people whose succumbed to greed, and those who have real needs. I worry that this news will cause local church donations to drop, too.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215321 - 11/06/11 04:51 PM Re: Megachurch...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

How people who study the Bible for years and get close to God can do stuff like this is beyond my comprehension. In recent years, I've gotten to the point that I give directly to people in need. I don't go via the church any longer.

#215323 - 11/06/11 09:19 PM Re: Megachurch...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Quote:
How people who study the Bible for years and get close to God can do stuff like this is beyond my comprehension.

I know what you mean, Jabber. All I can guess is that these people "start taking their public relations agent's efforts seriously," and somehow acquire a feeling of superiority or entitlement that allows them to feel they can break the rules and get away with it...

Otherwise there is no explanation that makes sense to me. (And I only say the above, because I once worked for a terrible boss who succumbed to this feeling of being beyond the law. She truly believed -- and flat out told me -- that "rules were for little people," and didn't apply to her!)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215325 - 11/07/11 02:21 PM Re: Megachurch...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I understand what you're saying, Anne; but these world leaders have millions of souls in their hands. This Crystal Cathedral was a staunch pillar in the religious sector. Life is difficult. Folks look to the hierarchy to strengthen their spirit. But I guess it just goes to show, a person shouldn't turn 2 another human but to God only!!! People let you down. The only person you can really count on, is God!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved