The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219892 - 01/23/14 02:12 PM Why...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
After 39 years of marriage, Captain and Tennille are getting a divorce. Why bother, now? If you've made it through 39 years, you're more than halfway to heaven!!!

The thing is who'd want to break in a new partner? IMHO you get used to a person's likes and dislikes, moods, schedules, etc. To go through all that again, just seems like too much bother. crazy

#219895 - 01/24/14 02:45 AM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Jabber,

I agree that it would probably seem like too much effort to "break in" a new partner at this point in my life. (I've been married all but 5 of the last 41 years, so a similar amount of time -- though to two husbands.)

But we have no idea of the details. No idea of the "why."

So I guess, since we haven't walked all those miles in their shoes, it's not fair for us to judge.

As for "why" they decided to divorce now, I am sure the many "celebrity rags" will be publishing stories soon with some sort of sordid details. that's how those publications sell papers.
I did a quick search on their names just now, and came up with a link from ABC news that included this detail:

Quote:
In 2010, Tennille announced on her blog that Dragon had a neurological disorder similar to Parkinson's and was no longer able to play music as well as he had.

For all we know, they might have had to divorce in order for him to be declared penniless and thus for him to qualify for some sort of specialized treatment which would otherwise have bankrupted them/her.

Now don't go quoting me on this, I am totally speculating. But considering that they are in their 70s, I'm just thinking that their are times when people are forced to do this.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219896 - 01/24/14 01:30 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I really didn't want to be judging anybody. But it seems like a good topic for discussion: divorcing after being married such a long period of time, that is. Marriage is a difficult thing to keep rolling smoothly, at any age; and, splitting is heartbreaking. Nobody wins in a divorce. Good memories are always there, as are the not so good memories. Captain and Tennille were entertaining and fun to watch. And perhaps you're right: the possibility of that path being a necessity is always out there. The mind doesn't compute a 39-year-marriage and divorce in the same sentence very well. That's all. IMHO...

#219897 - 01/24/14 02:59 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ

#219898 - 01/24/14 03:11 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: Di]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
I think you are right, Anne. I think there is an illness and they are trying to protect their finances. Who can blame them! I heard on one of the talk TV shows that they were divorced but still living together. No reason was given. So that makes me think that money is being ate away on medical bills, and the only way to protect the other spouse( and what they still have) is to divorce and become penniless. I have heard of this sort of thing before. I don’t really think that they would “divorce” after 39 years, but who knows what goes on behind doors?

#219899 - 01/24/14 06:00 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: Cookie]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
That's a great rendition of a great song, Di. And very appropriate. Thanks for sharing.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219900 - 01/24/14 06:42 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: Anne Holmes]
dwsun Offline

Loc: California, USA
I love that song Di - thanks for sharing.
Lighthouse Travel & Tours
http://lighthousetravelandtours.com/contact.html

#219902 - 01/24/14 11:07 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: dwsun]
jabber Offline

Love that song, Di; and hope Anne and Cookie are onto something.
I've heard of that happening, too: legally breaking but staying
together. That's much sweeter take on the whole issue.

#220019 - 04/09/14 05:38 PM Re: Why...? (Captain and Tennille) [Re: jabber]
dwsun Offline

Loc: California, USA
Thank you Anne Holmes for pointing out breakups like this may be due to legal - for multiple reasons. With the rising costs of healthcare and living - and even wills. There are many reasons to consider.

Media tends to stretch things now.

Again thank you Anne for bring this to our attention.
Lighthouse Travel & Tours
http://lighthousetravelandtours.com/contact.html

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved