The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 57 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220713 - 01/20/15 11:07 PM Genetically modified wheat...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Chesterfield Village Research Center in Mo. is experimenting with a batch of young wheat plants. Is the world ready for the genetic modification of a dinner table staple? sick What say you???

#220716 - 01/21/15 07:19 PM Re: Genetically modified wheat... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, Personally I am going out of my way to avoid GMO foods. So I would want to avoid this wheat. But the problem is, you have to do your research and read so many labels to try to assure yourself you're avoiding this stuff.

However, I also know that both corn and wheat have certainly already been modified in a major way over the last few centuries. Have you ever been to a pioneer village and seen the crops that were grown in the 19th century? Looks like runty stalks, with hardly any "edibility" to it.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220720 - 01/21/15 11:34 PM Re: Genetically modified wheat... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Grocery shopping is a real pain these days. By the time you read the labels, read the darn coupons so you get the amount those things dictate, it takes hours and hours just to buy a week's worth of foodstuff. I feel sorry for the grandkids. The power's that be have probably been messing with the food supply for the last fifty years. But can you imagine what the next few generations are going to be eating. Test tube this. And test tube that.

#220721 - 01/22/15 06:31 PM Re: Genetically modified wheat... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I agree that it takes work to be an informed consumer. Personally I hadn't heard of Chesterfield Village when you mentioned it, but I did some research and - no surprise -- see that it is owned by Monsanto.

Here's a recent press release they put out, aimed at offering consumers answers on GMO foods in a website called "GMOAnswers."

Here's a salient paragraph from the release:
Quote:
“GMOs are a growing topic of discussion today, with a wide range of questions and emotions,” Cathleen Enright, Ph.D., spokesperson for GMO Answers, said. “Food is personal, so we want to open the door for personal discussions. We recognize we haven’t done the best job communicating about GMOs—what they are, how they are developed, food safety information—the science, data and processes. We want people to join us and ask their tough questions. Be skeptical. Evaluate the information and decide for yourself. We look forward to an open conversation.”

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220722 - 01/22/15 10:14 PM Re: Genetically modified wheat... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Apparently Chesterfield Village Research is owned by Pfizer and they just invested $400 million dollars into an expansion. So they'll be around for a while. My granddad used to say, "Meet me in St. Louis, Louis; meet me at the fair." Just a sprinkle of humor for such a dry subject...lol..

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved