The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220744 - 02/07/15 02:22 PM Brian Williams...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Okay. Can anyone explain why people who are already famous,
stretch the truth? crazy

#220747 - 02/08/15 10:10 PM Re: Brian Williams... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I'm scratching my head on this one, Jabber!

But I'm not sure his actions have anything to do with his fame. It sounds to me like he originally reported the Iraq incident correctly, then later incorrectly. I am simply wondering if he had a mental lapse. So that in his mind, these events occurred exactly as he reported it.

Alternately, I'm seeing it as an effort on his part to tell the best story in the short amount of time allotted to each bit of news. So for example, he knew corpses were floating by in New Orleans after Katrina, so he incorporated that fact into his evening report, editing it so that he said that HE saw the corpse float past his hotel. Just as a way to tell the story in a tighter time frame.

Quote:

I KNOW corpses were floating around there: my son was one of the newspeople covering Katrina - he for Newsweek -- and he did wade into waters to save people -- only to have corpses float past him.

I know this for sure, because he called me in a bit of a creative effort to get a prescription for prophylactic antibiotics. He told me it was hard - almost impossible - to get to a doctor's office to be seen and get a prescription. Even harder to find an open pharmacy.

But he had an idea and wanted my help: At his suggestion, I called a dentist client of mine, told him the situation, and then the dentist called in a prescription - in my son's name - to an ILLINOIS WALGREEN's.

Then, because Walgreen's will fill a prescription from one one their stores at ANY OTHER Walgreen's-- my son was able to get to a nearby town, find a Walgreen's and fill the prescription.

So I don't know if Williams was suffering from what some call "the fog of war," whether he had some sort of battle fatigue that caused him to confuse the facts -- or whether he was just trying to tell the best story possible in the shortest amount of time by being a bit creative and essentially "fudging" some details related to the main story in order to enhance it. (Something that we do not look to the major networks to do. And something that -- when we learn of it happening -- sounds both unethical and in appropriate.)

It could be any of those things IMHO: But - for me, at least -- I'm not sure it really matters at the end of the day.

However, I also admit I might be jaded, having worked in advertising and marketing for so many years, where these sorts of things are more commonplace. So how much does this bother the rest of you?

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220750 - 02/09/15 07:14 PM Re: Brian Williams... [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Here's a solid article I found today on this topic in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/09/busine...;pgtype=article
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220753 - 02/09/15 11:21 PM Re: Brian Williams... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Something must be a bit off or he wouldn't have taken himself off the news for a time. But Hillary did the same thing. And so have others. It doesn't really bother me. It just seems odd for folks' who've reached the top, to shoot themselves in the foot like this. That's all.

#220755 - 02/11/15 07:33 PM Re: Brian Williams... [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

I agree, Jabber. And based on what NBC Corporate is saying today, THEY think it is a lot more serious than I had taken it to be. I'm not media minded, so you've already heard my opinion. But apparently the bigwigs at corporate see this lack of credibility could bring down their entire network if its not shut down properly right now...

I still maintain that Williams problem came when he would go on the talk shows, where his goal was to be entertaining -- not to be a news reporter. THEN, it seems, he got into the habit of embroidering the truth, in order to be more entertaining. And isn't that something that happens at social events all over the world? People trying to be entertaining and witty? One-upping each other? And suddenly "fish tales" are being told?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved