The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 144 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#221076 - 11/19/15 10:49 PM Should they or shouldn't they...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Which side of the refugee debate are you on???

#221081 - 11/24/15 07:03 PM Re: Should they or shouldn't they...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Oh Jabber, you're getting into contentious territory here, I fear...

My heart and upbringing tell me that 99% of the Syrian refugees are fine upstanding - and faith-focused - people. (Even if their religion might not be Christianity, we still need to respect that theirs is a long-standing faith, not a fanaticism.) These are primarily good people who have lost everything and have traveled far in the hopes of starting a new life.

And I hate that during World War II our country incarcerated US citizens, just because they were of Japanese descent. There are so many parallels to today. Despite our global wish to learn from our pasts...

Actor George Takei speaks very eloquently about his family's internment during that time. Here's an article from the Huff Post where he discusses this, in case you aren't familiar with his story.

But I also understand the fear that has been generated by the Paris situation.

I think you know that our forum rules preclude political discussions, simply because we don't want hurt feelings or angry rhetoric. But if you still want to talk about this, Jabber, I grant my permission, as long as we all promise to respect each others' points of view.

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221082 - 11/24/15 07:23 PM Re: Should they or shouldn't they...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I am not very politically oriented, in fact I normally try not to watch the news, because it is usually so negative.

But since we got started on this Syrian refugee situation, I thought it was appropriate to share this article, about how Scotand is greeting their refugees.

Note how this article, from The Nationalist, a newspaper that supports an Independent Scotland, makes the point that the refugees are fleeing terrorism, and deserve a warm welcome.
Here's a link to The Nationalists' editorial in which they further explain their point of view.

Again, I'm a person with a humanitarian point of view. My parents supported Cuban refugees all those years ago. We had them for meals, provided them with clothes, and helped them find jobs and assimilate into the US.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved