The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56363 - 09/09/05 04:13 AM Katrina stories that touched your heart
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Today I had to drive to Detroit and listened to talk radio most of the way. I heard some amazing stories about how people have given of themselves and their possesions to help others. If your heart has been touched by the generosity of a stranger giving to a victim of Katrina, please share......

On the radio I heard that Detroit has about 150 people from the hurricane area staying in a hotel and the Detroit citizens are providing everything they need. What really amazed me is that people are giving the victims each a HOUSE......yes, that's right a house! And the man in charge said that they probably had enough to give each family one. I don't have the entire story, because I started getting static. They had to ask people to stop bringing items to the hotel because they didn't have anywhere to put it. They requested gift cards so the evacuees could purchase what they need.

Daisygirl

#56364 - 09/09/05 05:26 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Daisy, thanks for starting this topic. This is amazing. I hope we hear about it on some of the television networks. I'm thinking Oprah will do a couple shows about the blessings that are pouring out of this tragedy. Wouldn't that be a plwasure to watch?

#56365 - 09/10/05 07:01 AM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Daisygirl Offline

I bet Oprah does do a show about Katrina blessings, but she probably could do countless shows if she included all the people who have given.

Daisygirl

#56366 - 09/10/05 07:52 AM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I just read in our local paper this morning that there will be about a dozen children from Mississippi and Louisiana relocating to this area to go to school here for now. The province of Ontario has lifted its "foreign-student fees" and taxes to enable the children from the hurricane-hit area to come here and go to school for free. The dozen children who are enrolling now are going to be living with relatives in the area, but residents are opening their homes to take in anyone else who wants to come.

#56367 - 09/09/05 08:02 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My area is supposedly taking in 1500 of the evacuees. I think a lot of them have family in the area.

#56368 - 09/09/05 09:20 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I watched on the news the other day of a nat'l guardsman who shared his sandwich with a puppy stuck on a roof. While the puppy ate, he picked it up and took it in the truck with him. Several newspeople wanted to adopt the puppy and asked about it later. It was reported that the guardsman adopted it and gave the puppy a good home. That touched my heart.

#56369 - 09/09/05 09:57 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Daisygirl Offline

Yes, the dogs are another very disturbing aspect of the flooding and I'm certainly relieved that more are being rescued. I heard that a rescue group in a midwest city (I'm hormonal and can't remember) is filling a truck with donations such as crates, food, etc. and taking it down.

Daisygirl

#56370 - 09/09/05 09:58 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
What touched my heart was the stories of all the firemen from all over the country going to assist the hurricane area- especially from the NYCFD

#56371 - 09/09/05 10:01 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Pattyann, that got me also. When they were interviewing them (from NYC) and they said we are just repaying the favor, I nearly burst into tears.

#56372 - 09/10/05 05:01 PM Re: Katrina stories that touched your heart
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
On Monday our store(Salvation Army) was closed due to Labor Day. Tuesday morning, I was there at 8:30 to open the store. I could hardly get in the door! The front was FULL of Donations for Katrina. We had to get 3 trailers to pull it all to the main center.

I remember (among other things) 3 cases of shaving cream and for a moment it made me think of the men affected by Katrina. I had been thinking of the women, children, elderly and animals but the cases of shaving cream gave me a moment to think about all the men...

What filled my heart was when a gentle frail elderly woman passed me a check for five dollars and said it's all I have to give right now but please make sure it gets to someone in need. I assured her that her donation was going to make a big difference in someone's life. Her eyes lit up and she said, "yes, it will, won't it?" We both shared a tender moment of heart love. May God Bless her.

chick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved