The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56654 - 07/06/05 06:34 PM A soldier comes home
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
I just had to share this with someone! I was at the airport at around midnight on the 4th of July.
I was waiting for my younger son's plane to arrive and of course it was late. He had been for a visit with my soldier son for the weekend.
Standing nearby, anxious and figeting was a very pregnant young woman and her young son. Behind me was an older man looking nervous, but stoic.
He asked if I knew which flight was arriving. When I told him, he said his son, a soldier, was supposed to be on board returning from the war zone on emergency family leave. I told him I'd just spoken to my son and he was sitting w/ a soldier returning from the war to see his child born. The man called to the young wife, "this lady says her son's sitting w/ our boy!" She came to me and clutched my arm and asked if I was sure. I said, I'm sure he's w/ a soldier, coming home to his pregnant wife, not sure if he's your soldier but I sure hope so. Apparently, my son and this soldier were in the very last row of the plane. I watched this family, their faces showing a mix of hope and fear, watch impatiently as the river of people passed us by. Finally, I saw my son's lacrosse hat, above the other heads.
I saw him turn to a close shaven man and say, "Good luck and God bless". This man stopped in his tracks, looked at my son then followed his gaze to where his wife stood weaping. He ran to her and their son and wrapped them in a huge, hug, tears streaming down his face. I wept quietly and turned to the father of this young man, no longer fearful or stoic, openly but silently weaping at the sight of his child. Standing back allowing the couple to say their hellos while yearning to run forward and grab his son. I touched his arm, said, "God Bless you sir, and God bless your family and keep them safe."

Reunited w/ my own child, hugging him and vicariously hugging my own soldier, the brother he'd just left, far away on the other side of America, I thought to myself, "I hope and pray that I can be as brave as the family I observed tonight, when my time comes and my soldier son is across the world instead of across the country"

When young men and women join the service and go to war, the whole family joins the service and goes to war. I am so full of admiration for the women(and men) who are left behind w/ jobs and houses and children while their spouses are deployed. I marvel at their bravery, because, yes, I have discovered that it takes more courage than I possess, to function at anything approaching normal when you have a family member in the service. There is so much fear and uncertainty, so many bizarre rules and regulations, so little control over even the smallest things.

I know that this is an unpopular war, but I get so angry when I read some of what the average citizen writes to the editor of the local newspaper, or overhear idiotic comments, or read nothing but criticism of the military and emphasis on their failures. "Supporting our troops" is so much more than slapping a yellow magnet on the back of your car or wearing a rubber bracelet (manufactured in China by the way). Soldiers have no choice about where they fight, who they fight, when they fight. Their families have no control over anything. My soldier son told me that they've come to the conclusion that they don't fight "an enemy" because of hate or ideology, they go where they are told and they fight for each other and for their country. The why's, who's and where's are "above their paygrade".

I'm not sure what the point of this post is, except maybe to give a face to the hundred thousand plus families who are dealing w/ this war in a way that most of America can't even imagine. Please think about those families and pray for them. And remember that America is not supposed to be about "we the republicans", or "we the red states" or "we the Christian right" or "we the insert your cause group"....it is
"We the people". And the soldiers and their families are "the people" too.

#56655 - 07/07/05 07:04 AM Re: A soldier comes home
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Amen to that and what a wonderful post to read to begin my day.... [Smile]

#56656 - 07/06/05 08:29 PM Re: A soldier comes home
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello Kathryn, wow, what a warm and wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I especially like "they fight for each other and for their country." I never heard it phrased that way. Love and Light, Lynn

#56657 - 07/06/05 08:31 PM Re: A soldier comes home
robowidowk Offline

Loc: Arizona
My son returned from the war a year and 4 months ago. I do pray for those serving and those who are at "home". My son is single, but he always could call mom! The unseen issues that our soldiers have when they return are bad. They are in a culture so foreign to them, but they are doing their best! I am proud to be the mother of a Army medic who was 9 mos on the front line. We are making a difference there. The media can't portray these things because they aren't newsworthy. It's a shame really. We are America, we care, it took McArthur what...7 years...to stay in Japan to rebuild it. It is what we do.

#56658 - 07/06/05 08:39 PM Re: A soldier comes home
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Robo, wow, a medic on the front lines. It doesn't get much harder than that. I hope your son had a safe and comfortable transition back to civilian life. I am proud of him, and all I know of him is this post of yours! Love and Light, Lynn

#56659 - 07/06/05 08:40 PM Re: A soldier comes home
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Kathryn and robowidowk, thank you so much for sharing your sons with America and the world. They are doing the right thing and we are proud of how they are spreading freedom to the world.

Thank you too for sharing your stories. We need more of that in America. The politics make us forget that we are all one. It's time we came together and stood up for what we believe.

Kathryn, I hope you might consider sending that to your local newspaper. So often the media is filled with the bad things, and they need to at least see the good. Maybe your wonderfully written piece could change some hearts.
smile

#56660 - 07/06/05 11:01 PM Re: A soldier comes home
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Smile, Thanks for the support. Every time I pick up pen to write to the papers, my anger and loathing at the media just poisons me. I should send this story and all of the stories of the real truth about the war and the people who are making the sacrifices in our names. You are so right, all of us who have family in the military should counter every negative piece we see with some positive piece.
Thanks to all of you who read this and are touched in some way, and to Robo....you don't know how much it means to me to hear from another soldier's mom. God bless you and your son!

#56661 - 07/06/05 11:30 PM Re: A soldier comes home
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Kathryn
I can understand why you might just look at the newspaper and give up. It's almost as if we are outnumbered in our own country. But I wish more people could read the real stories of what is happening with our troops.

Thank you for sharing your story here and I would still encourage you to get it out any way you can.
smile

#56662 - 07/07/05 12:46 AM Re: A soldier comes home
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kathryn, as I sit here teary eyed because I know the REAL faces behind this post the only thing that would make me happier would be to read it in The Sun. Forget the Towson Times. That's not big enough. I strongly encourage you to submit it. It's beautiful. And your message is so important. I know it moved me to be more thoughtful and prayerful for our soldiers.

What a great idea to send your younger son to visit. How sweet. When will your soldier boy get home?

Robo, I'd love to know how your son is doing since returning home. Do you mind sharing? God bless him for his service for our country and his fellow soldiers. Give him a kiss from the boomers!

#56663 - 07/07/05 12:57 AM Re: A soldier comes home
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Dear Kathryn,
I was so touched by your post. Please pass along to your son and all his soldier friends how proud I am of them. I feel so grateful to them for the sacrifices they are making.
BTW, I was going to purchase one of those rubber bracelets, but knowing that they're made in China, I guess I won't.
Marie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved