The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56268 - 10/07/05 04:53 PM indiana and the temple of legislation
msdiana Offline

Loc: Stuttgart, Germany
according to the proposal by indiana senator patricia miller, every woman in Indiana seeking to become a mother through assisted reproduction therapy such as in vitro fertilization, sperm donation, and egg donation, must first file for a "petition for parentage" in their local county probate court...if she's married, she'll be considered for the "gestational certificate" that must be presented to any doctor who facilitates the pregnancy...the "gestational certificate" will only be given to married couples that successfully complete the same screening process currently required by law of adoptive parents...

fun!

i had children without a gestational certificate...

so did senator patricia miller, and so did her children...

this proposal serves as the perfect lubricant for indiana legislators like patricia miller to run their noses right up into the reproductive lives of other people -- not her own, mind you, nor those of her children, just other's lives...where ever there's a private and personal issue between consenting adults, you'll find some reproductive organ-obsessed representative trying to legislate their part in a twisted ménage a trois of their own creation...well, it's a foursome now for married couples, and an all out orgy when you get everyone together from the couple to the legislators to the doctors -- all there for what was once a private and personal issue...
who signed your certificate senator? oh, that's right, you grew up with no such restrictions...lucky you...
so when are we going to line up and legislate all those losers with fully operational reproductive organs? you know who they are senator, the ones who didn't and don't need a marriage license because their bits work and who helped to produce and are still producing all the kids now living in poverty, still waiting on child support, and who are uninsured -- in your state, senator!
you're looking to prevent a tragedy you've yet to define and have no proof of ,and yet you've not proposed any legislation to take care of your state's hungry, sick, and uninsured children, many of whom are still waiting for a check from dear old deadbeat...
it is your state is it not, senator miller, where 34% of the children live in low income families and 12% in poverty, where less than half the child support owed to its children has been collected, and where 170,000 uninsured children now reside?

sure all states have hungry children and deadbeat parents, but are they punishing would-be parents who are financially stable enough to afford the procedures and who are motivated enough to go to all that effort to bring a child into the world?

maybe next go 'round you'll ban apples...you know how much of a choking hazard those cores can be...

[ October 07, 2005, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

#56269 - 10/08/05 08:08 AM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
Dahti Blanchard Offline

Loc: Washington state
Good write up, msdiana.
Did you ever read Margaret Atwood's book: A Handmaid's Tale? It came out several years ago and people proclaimed it a great book (which it is) but it also depressed me because I thought it was all too possible for our rights to be eroded while we're not paying enough attention. And when it's other women contributing to that it makes me even more upset.
The legislation is also a thinly disguised tool to try to prevent gay and lesbian couples from having children.
Thanks for the links that support what you're saying. Good job.

Dream of the Circle of Women
by Dahti Blanchard
published May 2004 by Spilled Candy Books
visit: www.dahtiblanchard.com

#56270 - 10/08/05 04:47 PM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Diana, you should write editorials for your local paper.

#56271 - 10/08/05 10:00 PM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
msdiana Offline

thank you dahti,
"a handmaid's tale" was the first thing i thought of when i first read the senator's proposal...i didn't use it because i felt ill recalling it and thought i could get the point across without it...like you, i'm also most distressed that a fellow woman has taken this kind of stance and put this kind of action behind it...
i didn't focus on it but i know this is the senator's way of halting gay parentage right in its tracks...i think she couldn't have gotten away with only excluding gay people and stuck straight people in there to give the bill a better feel -- only no one thinks it feels good at all...

thank you dotsie [Smile]
my local paper is the "stars and stripes", more global than local, like me [Smile]
the editorials bit me like a bug when i was 12...it's long been the appetizer that keeps me hungry for the ultimate goal of publishing a book...

aug28
jun30
may16

[ October 08, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: msdiana ]

#56272 - 10/10/05 07:44 AM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Aha, the dates posted in mediana's post are links to editorials she's written for her local paper.

#56273 - 10/10/05 02:45 PM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
msdiana Offline

(and diana needs to finish her posts before posting [Big Grin] -- and stop referring to herself in the third person)

#56274 - 10/10/05 06:52 PM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
froggy Offline

Loc: maryland
It seems like the people that this type of legislative thinking would most affect have been silent. Someone pointed out that if Bush really wanted to save frozen embryos he would outlaw invitro fertilization all together. Do you think that would pull the ostriches out of the sand? What about portraying the "infertile losers" (those criminals who went through invitro) in the same criminal category as those who terminated a pregnancy? Why does he have no problem going after those people?

#56275 - 10/10/05 06:55 PM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
Diana,
This is an outrage! While I agree that there are millions of abused and hungry children just in the U.S., I don't feel the government has a right to determine who should or should not have children.
I hope you're writing your representatives. Write to all the newspapers and news programs. Bill O'Reilly covers things like this all the time, and I'd like to see him cover this as well.
Marie

#56276 - 10/11/05 12:08 AM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
msdiana Offline

i've passed this along to my friends from indiana...i myself am without a state [Roll Eyes]

#56277 - 10/11/05 12:09 AM Re: indiana and the temple of legislation
msdiana Offline

What about portraying the "infertile losers" (those criminals who went through invitro) in the same criminal category as those who terminated a pregnancy?

good question, froggy...very good question...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved