The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 94 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#91093 - 10/08/06 02:47 AM How sweet home is!
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
After 5 weeks of living out of a suitcase, it's sooo good to be back. Actually I didn't think I'd be writing my Boomer sisters so soon, but it's 3:30 AM. I was lying in bed, eyes big as saucers, (6 hours time difference) thinking, I could be using this time to chat with you ladies.

The trip was wonderful. We drove 17 days in a RV, through Vancouver Island (lots of Boomers there!) 5 days in Vancouver, and then up to the Rockies. We met so many wonderful friendly people on the way. Evenings we would socialize with other RV's campers, and heard many interesting life stories.

I loved Vancouver. It's the perfect city, climate wise. Winter it doesn't snow, it's so mild, but if you take a 12 minute ferry, across the harbour, then a ten minute ride up a chairlift, you can go skiing, on top of Whistler mountain, within 20 minutes of that gorgeous city.

We then flew back to Boston to visit my brother for 10 days. My brother organized a big party for us…I emphasize "organize", cause in the end; Hubby and I shopped, cooked, cleaned, for this party…while brother dear went to work. It was actually nice to do domestic things again after being on the road so long. I saw so many of my old friends. It was a warm heartfelt experience. It also made me so very aware how much I missed all of my American friends. Afterwards, my brother took us to Conway NH for 4 days, to catch Indian summer in full 3D colors.

I had one small crisis though. While Hubby and I went out to dine in one of those rustic little restaurants overlooking Rockport Bay, I cried crocodile tears; sogging the crust over my scrumptious baked lobster. The waitress came to ask if everything is all right. It took Hubby a while to convince her that I was just so glad to be back visiting, and really, that the lobster was just fine. He then promised me we would try to visit my brother and friends every year. I hope he meant it, and just didn't want me to stop embarrassing him, breaking down like that in the packed restaurant,… and our table smack in the middle of it.

I wish I could have met Louisa. I had no idea that my brother had such a full itinerary planned for us. So, I hope we'll be back next year, and that our meeting is just postponed.

Oh and Chatty, the manuscript is on my desk, waiting to be corrected. That worked out just perfectly; sending it to my brother's address. And Diane, your soap package was at my brothers, just like planned. I put the soaps in a pretty basket in my bathroom. They smell "delicious". Can't wait to use them.

I'll try to get some shuteye again. Goodnight girls, Believe me, it made it easier to come back to good old Germany, knowing that I can still chat with my Boomer friends.

#91094 - 10/08/06 05:15 AM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: Edelweiss]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well you were missed. You left, then JJ left to go in the opposite direction. But all is well as both are back safe and sound. You have lots to do with the manuscript and then off to a publisher. I am going to be holding my breath waiting for that marvelous work of art to become a best seller...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#91095 - 10/08/06 05:42 AM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: chatty lady]
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Hannelore, sounds like you had a great time. Hope that
hubby lives up to what he said. By the way, where in
Germany are you? I used to live near Fulda. Lately I've
been looking at where we used to live with the Google satellite
imaging program; the house is still there : )
And I miss our trips to Garmisch and the rest of Bavaria,
and Rothenburg of course.
Cindy

#91096 - 10/08/06 12:43 PM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: diamond50]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Welcome back, Hannelore! How long ago, prior to this holiday, since you last visited the US? I can so relate to the bout of tears. Life as an expat does have its downside. Looking forward to reading more about the forthcoming book. Had a blast reading your article on the beach venture and enjoyed it.

#91097 - 10/08/06 02:25 PM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: Lola]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Welcome home Honey. I so understand your breakdown. Bless your heart. I think the only solution is for us to come over there and see you. What? Too much?

It's great to hear that you had such a fun experience and that you got to see so many friends. Share more with us when you have time, won't you?

Welcome home! JJ

#91098 - 10/08/06 02:40 PM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Hannelore, you were missed. So glad to hear bits and pieces of your trip. My favorite story is the one in the restaurant. It's so real. I'd love to know what took you to Germany. Please tell. By the way, your brother sounds like a great guy. You are blessed. Oh, and so does your hubby!

#91099 - 10/08/06 06:27 PM Re: How sweet home is!
Edelweiss Offline

My heart is feeling warm pit-a-pats from all your welcomes. Thank you.
By the way, I'm going to post this in another forum, but I have to say Chatty did such a wonderful comprehensive editing job on my manuscript. It was a task-full (alone all those unnecessary hyphens! tee-hee). Her annotations are thought- through- and- through( I'm writing this way to tease Chatty). She motivates and builds you up. She is the resaon I grew an inch taller; needless to say that's good for my weight!
Cindy, I live in a small town between Munich and Augsburg. Fulda? That's near Hamburg isn't it? Did you ever go to the North Sea or Sylt? Those are quite amazing places.
Lola, The last time I was in the US was five years ago, and the time before that, almost 10 years. I'm going to make sure Hubby sticks to his word…and if not, I'll just pack my bag and fly alone…hmpf. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the beach story.
JJ, welcome back as well! It's so wonderful to confess weaknesses here. I just love being understood. Got to check out the forums to see how your trip went. Oh yes, come on all over…!!! Yipeeeee!
Dotsie, I missed you all too, and I'm not just saying that. Have you ever posted a forum on the topic how everyone has met their hubby or mate? My story is rather funny and very odd… Got to check if you have a post like that all ready.

#91100 - 10/09/06 12:39 AM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: Edelweiss]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Glad you're home safely. Too bad we didn't get to meet - maybe next year. Rockport Bay? Did you go up to Rockport and Rocky Neck? I know it's not far from where your brother is. I haven't been there in a long while. I love it. I'm going to be in Beverly this Friday night at the Music Theatre seeing Trish Yearwood.

My daughter and I took a drive up to Kittery, Maine today to shop the outlets. We started our Christmas shopping. Beautiful day for it. Great weather.

Louisa

#91101 - 10/09/06 07:01 AM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: Louisa]
Edelweiss Offline

Lousa, yes, we were in both places, and to my delight the stores weren't closed. I absolutely love the art shops. That is my secret dream; to have a little art shop in Rockport, with me sitting outside by the entrance door in a rocking chair looking over the harbor. Of course a good book in my lap can't be missing and I'd lick walnut ice-cream cones till my tongue gets ice blisters.
Anyone else share that dream with me?
(sigh)

Wow, you're starting Christmas shopping? You must have a looong list. Have a great time at the Theatre, Louisa. Next time I'm over I know I'll have more time, cause there won't be so much to catch up with.

#91102 - 10/09/06 12:43 PM Re: How sweet home is! [Re: Edelweiss]
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hannalore, I'm glad you had a wonderful trip! I've visited Rockport and it's such a beautiful town! When we were there years ago, you could get a lobster and can of coke from a street vendor and find a place to sit and eat it. The entire east coast is awesome, especially this time if year!

laurapoplin.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved