The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#143893 - 03/02/08 06:47 PM I'm going to Ireland!!
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Whoo-hoo! That's right, Ireland for 7 days/6 nights this July. And maybe a few days in New York prior to heading across the Atlantic.

My father-in-law (age 84) came to the US from Ireland when he was in his early 20's, and he has family there. We've tried to convince him to go for years, and he finally agreed.

There will be a group of 14 of us! Yikes! All 5 of the kids with their spouses, my FIL, and random teenagers. Fortunately, we all get along well.

We'll be in Adare, which is in the southwest part in Limerick County. Celtic - I know you're in the north- do you think there's a chance we could see each other?

Our package (for 14) gives us 3 rental cars and 3 (3-bedroom) condos, and airfare. It was tough to come up with the funds, and it's non-refundable, so it's scary.... but I'm getting excited now that we've confirmed everything.

Has anyone been? Tips on places to see, things to do, would be appreciated.

Kathy

#143894 - 03/02/08 06:58 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
How fantastic! What a logistical coup to pull that off! You'll have a great time, I'm sure.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#143895 - 03/02/08 07:13 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: yonuh]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

It was a logistical coup and must have been meant to be. My brother-in-law sent an email to everyone with a link to the package, and just said "Anyone want to go?".

Well everyone jumped on the bandwagon and we can't believe everyone is available the same dates. If we had planned this more, I imagine it would have been over analyzed and might not have pulled together. As it was, I didn't even look at the map or the condo info until after it was booked. (There was a 2-29 deadline). That's how fast it all came down, and that's not like me at all. But I'm glad it worked out and we're very happy with the condo/location in the town of Adare.

Kathy

#143896 - 03/02/08 08:05 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
HOW EXCITING!
I hope you all have the time of your lives!
Did your b-n-l do any research before sending the email?

#143897 - 03/02/08 08:07 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: gims]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

My BIL went to Ireland last year, so I guess we kind of trusted him. He checked it very briefly, but we all got a little lucky. Looks like a good package, especially with the value (or NO value) of the dollar right now.

It's my understanding we'll have to take LOTS of spending money due to the value of the dollar. Things could cost up to twice as much, ex: a $5 burger here will cost about $10 there.

#143898 - 03/02/08 10:10 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Ah, as a traveler, I am envious. As a friend, I only wish you great travels.

Get a travel book or two and read. Even if your BIL was there, you will want to have many of your own ideas.

Don't worry about the dollar - it's just plain bad. If you are in condos, you could make a few meals. One of my favorite parts of visiting other countries is visiting the grocery store. Find out the specialties and indulge (Cheese and Guiness come to mind).

One of my favorite travel tips is to take an empty duffle bag - pack it in your luggage - and you will have room to pack all the goodies that you purchase. The duffle bag easily fills with soft, dirty clothes.

Ooops, you didn't ask, did you? Sorry, the word travel just gets my blood all a buzzin'.

I am soooooo excited for you.

oh, and JJ was there a year or two ago......

Stop, Ann, stop

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#143899 - 03/03/08 07:06 AM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: Anno]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Wow Kathy! That sounds like so much fun!

Poet and essayist

#143900 - 03/03/08 01:48 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: meredithbead]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Kathy,
Be prepared to fall in love. With the country, the people, the history. I was there two summers ago and the $ wasn't any better but I will tell you now, the food was the least expense we had. No joke. You can go into just about any pub and get their OUT OF THIS WORLD soup and brown bread for lunches and it was dirt cheap. Throw in a couple of beers with that, and it was the same as any fast food place around here. I'm not a fan of the dark beer, but there was one called...ah...hmm....can't remember...I'll have to ask my traveling buddy. I'll get back to you on it. You can't get it here, it is a light beer and girl, it is DELISH! Now you didn't say WHEN you are going.

The duffel bag trick is a great one. You'll need it unless you buy Waterford Chrystal or something...and then they'll mail it home for you.

I drove over 1,000 miles and had no problem at all except a couple of times where I wanted to turn out of a parking lot into the wrong side of the lane and almost got us killed. When the trip ended, they had to pry my fingers from the steering wheel...

ROUND-A-BOUTS are everywhere. EVERY-FREAKIN-WHERE. Once you go through a few hundred of them, no problem....just DON'T sit still....people talk about your ancestors when you do.

It seemed every town had a great pub, a chocolate store, and some history. I loved Ireland. Even when we got lost, we found something interesting to do. The castles are everywhere, the abby's, the sheep, and the scenery is to die for.

Scotland is my other love. I could go on and on about it. If you're planning to buy any sweaters, plan on spending around 150.00 for the cheap ones....I bought Mom a beautiful scarf for 55.00 bucks...I-ya-ya...If you're going in the summer like we did, these things MIGHT be on sale somewhere, A FEW PLACES...but it is such a touristy place, I doubt it. They love Americans...heck, the Irish love everybody. More later...JJ

#143901 - 05/06/08 08:50 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: jawjaw]
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Wooo hooo...Kathy, this is fab news!! I am well excited for you and then the chance of meeting up. I know I am back
to London on the 21st of this may..so we can possibly start making arrangements for you to visit the north(of Ireland) at some point and meet the family.

Keep us all posted please

Slan Go Foil(means see you later!!!)

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#143902 - 05/06/08 10:34 PM Re: I'm going to Ireland!! [Re: Poppie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh Kathy it sounds so wonderful and to think of everyone being able to go together is twice the excitement and fun. I hope you all have a fantastic time and can't wait to hear all the stories when you return.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved