The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#123767 - 07/18/07 04:07 PM The Catholic Church
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
The poor victims will each get a little over one million dollars to try and recover from the horrible sexual abuse they suffered from at the hands of the priests. Do you think this will give them any closure? Some of these priests live in other countries and live off annuities from the church. That doesn't make any sense to me. What do you gals feel on this?

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123768 - 07/18/07 04:12 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I feel that this topic is so hot, and so controversal, that we will have to monitor it to death. BUT....on the other hand, AND because it pulls on my heart-strings for the victims, I want to say that I do not believe the priest should be given ANYTHING. PERIOD. And they should be behind bars.

A child abuser given a slap on the wrist? I think not.

Okay, I've probably, single-handedly just open the floor up for bickering....I-ya-ya.

#123769 - 07/18/07 04:59 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: jawjaw]
chickadee Offline

Do you think this will give them any closure?

Well, it's so hard to say. I hope many of them already have closure at this stage but allowing the perp to go free would not give me the kind of final closure that I would want for myself.
I would want the perp behind bars so I see me using some of the money to educate others in the situation, lobby for tougher laws and spread the word.

Bicker...who us? Never.

My opinion is not to be tangled with. Whether I'm right or wrong is immaterial? The fact that I offered one demands respect. (Hey, that sounds intellijunt)

#123770 - 07/18/07 05:59 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Closure?

Some sort of relief that the church has accepted some responsibility, perhaps. Like Chick, I hope most have been able to find their own way of letting go, long ago.

I am not happy that these men don't have to face trial and spend their time in jail. That is the only way that I could find true closure.

I must remember, however, that in some ways the church itself is culpable. Allowing this behavior to persist for so many years is a form of acceptance. Is giving money enough repentance for this sin?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#123771 - 07/18/07 07:32 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Anno]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
These men are pigs..and they belong behind bars. If any of these priests would have touched one of my sons, that would be the only thing that would give me piece of mind. My sons were both active alterboys from 8 years on. I thank God nothing ever happened to them.

#123772 - 07/18/07 08:09 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Edelweiss]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I watched a documentary about one particular priest who had molested over 100 children. Can't remember his name but he actually talked about his evil deeds in the film. It was almost like he just didn't get the damage he'd done. I wanted to spit at the television I was so livid.

They also interviewed his victims and they were just so...I don't know...undone? I can't think of a word to describe it but it made my heart break.

Maybe having the Catholic Church FINALLY admit it has a problem will help them in some way rather than moving priests from one perist to another so they can continue to commit these horrible acts on young, innocent children.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#123773 - 07/18/07 08:14 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Dianne]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I think they should have to go to prison and meet Bubba and Earl. Up close and personal.

Chickster, you are intellijunt. I no u r. I taught ya.

#123774 - 07/18/07 09:22 PM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Dianne]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Quote:

The poor victims will each get a little over one million dollars to try and recover from the horrible sexual abuse they suffered from at the hands of the priests. Do you think this will give them any closure? Some of these priests live in other countries and live off annuities from the church. That doesn't make any sense to me. What do you gals feel on this?

I am just as confused as you, Dianne. The courts took the extraordinary position to lift the statutory limitations on these offences so that the rightful course of action may be taken against the perpetrators. Sexual offences belong within the jurisdiction of criminal courts. Imprisonment would follow convictions alongside punitive damages/compensation to the victims. Why were these cases limited to a class suit in the civil courts? Why have the lawyers for the plaintiffs not allowed for these cases to be heard by juries especially so if they are confident of the evidence to support their actions? Why was the recourse civil and not criminal if the purpose of the whole saga is to make the perpetrators accountable, and rightly so, for actions against virtues of children which, in the first place, cannot be paid for? Might a great proportion of the sums awarded in these suits go to lawyers who seem to have only seen the Catholic Church as a defendant with very deep pockets? Closure in these cases would seem to rest on cross purposes for the plaintiffs and their advocates. At the same time, I think the Catholic Church was too quick to have treated this as a class settlement as it may be the case that some of the defendants would have wanted these cases to have gone to jury as well.

The Catholic Church HAS admitted it has a problem and this case is evident that it is dealing with this. But, UNLESS the victims and their advocates pursue the matter in the criminal courts where there is appropriate recourse to punishment, other than financial, for the liability, then the saga will continue to be in the manner of financial settlements and the guilty party remains free from incarceration or any other form of penal punishment that may be due him.

Edited by Lola (07/18/07 10:31 PM)

#123775 - 07/19/07 01:45 AM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: Lola]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't believe there will be any 'final' closure, there will always be an emotional scar.

Wish everyone could sue their sexual molestor, and win, there'd be more millionaires.

#123776 - 07/19/07 05:38 AM Re: The Catholic Church [Re: ]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I agree with everything that has been said so far.

And I'm going to stop here because I'm way, way too angry that this abuse was sanctioned.

Poet and essayist

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved