The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#128737 - 10/04/07 08:08 AM Procrastinating?
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
I was never a procrastinator, but I’m developing into one. I wonder why?

I have so much work to do and I go to the office with great intentions, but then get involved in other things;…like visiting the forums. I got to get my act together. Has anybody been through this. What helped you get back on track?

#128738 - 10/04/07 01:17 PM Re: Procrastinating? [Re: Edelweiss]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I used to be such a hard worker, and was very good at tackling onerous jobs as soon as possible, to get them over and done with.

But in 2001, I started struggling with a major bout of depression and then literally completely collapsed from burnout & exhaustion which then developed into 3-years of severe chronic fatigue. That totally debilitated me from doing anything...and I mean ANYTHING most days. That's when I learned to excel at procrastination!

Now I'm still not able to work, but can get out and about much more than before. And I try to tackle chores as soon as possible, but am much better now at procrastinating until I have more energy. Though to be perfectly honest, I can't always tell when I'm procrastinating because I haven't got the energy or when it's because I'm just being lazy...but I REALLY prefer living life at my own pace now (even if that includes procrastinating) than how I was living before, which was crazy, hectic, unbalanced and dangerously unhealthy.

What gets me back on track from succumbing to my "lazy procastination" is sheer empathy - putting myself in my husband's shoes - I wouldn't want him to keep putting off his chores waiting for me to do them, so I don't do that to him. Sometimes he has to step in and finish something for me because I still tire easily, but at least he knows that I'm trying.

Edited by Eagle Heart (10/04/07 05:36 PM)

(Maya Angelou)

#128739 - 10/04/07 02:54 PM Re: Procrastinating? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Let me think about it and get back to you....whattt?

Okay, okay. A temporary laspe of "having it together" is no big deal so please don't beat your beautiful self up, okay? When you entire life seems that way, then you might want to step back and analyze it.

I think everyone has this happen from time to time. When life comes at you with things you believe are a) beyond your control to handle, b) are scary or frightening, or c) just one more thing to add to the pile; or in other words, overwhelming, we have a tendency to shut-down our otherwise organized self and play russian roulette with our deadlines and "to-do" list. We want to see how dangerously close we can come to missing the deadline or getting something important done on time. Self-sabatoge.

Why? Dunno...maybe someone wiser than me (is that possible?) will chime in and answer that?

Thank goodness I've learned to see the red flags when I'm headed for that MOA (mode of operation). What I do to "cure" my mindset and move it over into the working cycle again is make a list. Having a list of things to do in front of me makes me determined. I LOVE checking off things. So it motivates me to start.

Because I am basically lazy, I pick the most difficult task and do it first. When that's over, it's a walk in the park to finish.

Hope this helps some...JJ

#128741 - 10/04/07 07:55 PM Re: Procrastinating? [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

I like that Eagle Heart;… “excel at procrastination.” I agree. I think there is a correlation between putting things off, depression and a burnt-out feeling.
When I have stress at home, I seek escape. I can’t find that through my work, so I procrastinate. ( gee,…did that just rhyme? Escape and procrastinate…hmmm)

I’m not lazy, since I’m always doing something…I think my priorities have just been shuffled around a bit.

JJ, did you just sit inside my brain? Yes, seems like my life is being controlled by others, and I think it is laming me. I’m going to take your advice and make a list. I like to check things off as well.

“Force of Necessity” … I think we all have that in our lives, Anne. I actually welcome that part, it gives you no choice but to do what you have to do. Do you know how to repair all those things you just listed? I’d probably make the closet smoke, the baseboard heater leak and cement the windows down.

#128743 - 10/05/07 02:48 AM Re: Procrastinating? [Re: ]
Edelweiss Offline

You're really sump'in Anne. And I like your sense of humor too. Ha ha ... so that's where kindney stones come from? And heart burn, ... from portable heaters?

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved