I need to ask this question because I'm feeling like I'm very ungrateful.

My husband's father asked to come for a visit and said he'd like to bring his 8 yr old granddaughter with. (We haven't had kids that young around for 10 yrs or more) We figured we could handle it for a week.

We said yes, and scheduled a time. They drove down and showed up on the day they said they'd arrive.

I expected them to stay a week, and there was talk of staying a week and then heading back up north. (we live in Florida)

However, that week and has come and gone and I'm ready to have my house back to myself. There is no talk now of WHEN they're leaving. Not even a guestimation anymore. In a couple more days it'll be 2 weeks.

My FIL brought 2 computers with him and all his software expecting my husband to fix his computers for him. They've been working on them every night but there are some serious viruses on them that have corrupted the computers. Now, my FIL is looking for a new computer. He says if he mail orders it he'll have it shipped to our house and he'll stay to get it. The one he wants at Best Buy is out and they think they'll get another shipment on Saturday. He wants to stay and wait.

My husband has given up his work time at home and our time together to help is dad with these computers. We have no alone time together except at bedtime.

Today, my FIL brings me the newspaper with a ad for repossessed cars and asks me about the dealership. I told him I don't know their reputation. He has been calling them looking for a specific car. Now I ask you. He drove a car down. How is he going to get another car back?

We are entertained out.. especially trying to keep an 8 yr old busy. We've run through the movies, games, and coloring books.

I had plans this weekend to re-organize my office, but I can't do it because it's set up as a guestroom right now.

I really need my space and am feeling extremely claustrophobic. I can't even get my mail or newspaper on my own anymore. They beat me to it every day.

Now, my FIL is so bored that he's wandering around the house looking for things to fix. He spent 3 days on the towel rod in the bathroom. Now he's trimming back palm trees in my yard. I appreciate the jobs getting done, but not at the expense of losing our privacy.

Don't you think it's a little rude to just go to someone's house and not even ask how long is appropriate to stay?

Am I just being a total whiner and should I just suck it up? (I'm not the only one feeling like this, my husband is too.)

[ December 10, 2004, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]