The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 48 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65011 - 01/14/05 03:20 AM making tents
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When I waas a kid I loved to make tents. We used sheets, light weight bed spreads, and clothes pins.

We'd make them out back, in our bedrooms, or on the front porch. We even tried making rooms by hanging pillow cases in the middle.

When our tent was finished we'd gather some of our favorite things and pile them in. It was so much fun cutting ourselves off from the outside world. [Wink]

Maybe we should still build them. [Wink]

#65012 - 01/14/05 03:49 AM Re: making tents
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We kids used the clothline to hang our tents from or the big lilac bushes on the side of the house. Indoors we used the back of the sofa or the kitchen table, that was my favorite. Hung a big bedspread over the top and stayed in there for hours drawing or playing with cut-outs. Sometimes I wish I had a tent today. I think I use my car as a tent sometimes, tinted windows and all the doors locked. Sometimes I just sit in the driveway with the radio on reading, especially if the Slug is around picking up more of his junk.... [Big Grin]

#65013 - 01/14/05 06:29 AM Re: making tents
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
We use to do that when I was little . We would make tents with mothers old sheets in the back yard clothes line . My daughter would do the same thing with her friend. I took pictures of the kids with there tents . Fun times. Oh, those hot , hot summers and play outside all day and only coming in for lunch and them go back out until someone called you for dinner. I can still here mother calling "Nancy Come and Eat"

Did anyone do this with the clothes line. We were all runing so fast one day I ran into the clothes line and ramed my neck into it and knocked me down . I could have been killed . Never did that again. I had a rope mark on my neck so bad. Wow!

[ January 13, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#65014 - 01/14/05 07:48 AM Re: making tents
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I remember doing the tent thing with the clothesline being the top of the tent. We also dug caves in the bluff behind my granny's house and lit them with lanterns. There were all kinds of wild animals and snakes out there, not to mention the fumes from the kerosene in the lanterns. It's a wonder we survived.

And Nancy, my mother never had to call us home to dinner. We always showed up. Starved. Her one rule that drove us nuts was that we had to come home if it thundered. Yep. My mother was and still is, a tornadophobe. We had some great middle of the night storm cellar adventures.
smile

#65015 - 01/14/05 09:04 PM Re: making tents
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
You girls have great memories. I loved making tents too, and it was often used to shut out the world. Sometimes we played (my brothers and I) cowboys and indians with tents hung from mom's clothes line. What a fun memory.

I also had a little cubby hole under the stairs that had a light in it, I would go in there and play with my Barbie doll for hours!

Sherri

#65016 - 01/14/05 09:19 PM Re: making tents
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't remember ever playing tent, except in the bedroom. I loved crawling under the covers with a flashlight and a book .. hidden away from the world and reading. That was my special time away from everyone else.

#65017 - 01/15/05 12:56 AM Re: making tents
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My tent was the same type as Vicki's [Wink] We grew up in an apartment in New York City, so not only was there no extra space indoors to pitch a tent, there was no place outdoors we could really do it either.

#65018 - 01/16/05 03:19 AM Re: making tents
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
meredith, I'd love to hear more about growing up in New York City. Did you play outside much?

#65019 - 01/16/05 03:28 AM Re: making tents
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I also remember making tents - or "forts" as my brother and I used to call them. Such fun bringing little personal things inside to make them "homey"....I always had a stack of books or comics, and pillows and a big old flashlight of course. We'd "visit" each other and read to each other. Another thing I remember as a kid was the absolutely JOY of finding someone in the neighborhood who had just purchased a new washer or dryer or BIG appliance - those empty boxes made GREAT "forts". Much sturdier than the tents.

#65020 - 02/16/05 04:45 AM Re: making tents
muckluck30 Offline

That is funny...I used to love that too! Kids still do that to this day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved