The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#67980 - 07/16/05 07:48 AM Fat cat
donette Offline

Loc: St Joe Missouri
Our black baby has gained an incrediable amount of weight in a relatively short period of time he was spayed last Aug. but did not gain weight then. He did not gain alot of weight until after December 30th when I received some flowers and he ate the lillies . WE had an incrediably close call and he almost died . He just turned 2 and weighes about 25-30 pounds . He doesn't really eat that much and he is now on controlled calorie food.
He does not eat table scraps but will steal vegetables from time to time (he liteeally will not touch any kind of meat) He goes crazy over leaf lettuce which I don't give him he sneaks it and green peppers etc from the garden .

His weight gain I feel is abnormal alhough he has turned out ot be a pretty big cat he looks out of porportion. any ideas

#67981 - 07/16/05 03:54 PM Re: Fat cat
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
HI, Donette
I too have a fat cat. My Rascal B has been on a diet for two years. He is on controlled diet now but was on restricted diet food that he could stay on a max of 6 months and only lost a quarter of a pound! He doesn't eat from the table either.
I feel like such a failure as a cat mom! Maybe- like people- they are meant to be fluffy.
I had blood tests done for diabetes and am worried because I lost my last girl to kidney disease at only 6 but Rascal is just a lazy boy-he doesn't do many toys so doesn't exercise much
Did you have blood tests done since the lily incident?

#67982 - 07/16/05 05:00 PM Re: Fat cat
donette Offline

They di them at the time and found nothing really wrong he had only a very few crystals in his kidneys
the doctor thought it was a miracle that he survied becasue he was sick for over 36 hours. (I didn't know he had eated the lillies and I thought he only ate the asparasgus fern which causes them to be ill but only stomach irratation) then later I noticed the nibbling on the lillies)

I thought about diabetes but he doesn't really have the symptoms but I also thought about thyroid.

When I called the vet she said the lilly incident couldn't really be related bu tit sure happened quick after that and the lilly incident had taken him down becasue he haded eaten for a week when that happened.

There is aslight funny story to his recovery from this

I thought about having him have bloodtest also

#67983 - 07/16/05 05:01 PM Re: Fat cat
donette Offline

They di them at the time and found nothing really wrong he had only a very few crystals in his kidneys
the doctor thought it was a miracle that he survied becasue he was sick for over 36 hours. (I didn't know he had eated the lillies and I thought he only ate the asparasgus fern which causes them to be ill but only stomach irratation) then later I noticed the nibbling on the lillies)

I thought about diabetes but he doesn't really have the symptoms but I also thought about thyroid.

When I called the vet she said the lilly incident couldn't really be related bu tit sure happened quick after that and the lilly incident had taken him down becasue he haded eaten for a week when that happened.

There is a slight funny story to his recovery from this

I thought about having him have bloodtest also

#67984 - 07/18/05 02:16 AM Re: Fat cat
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Vegetables are slimming especially when eaten raw and also quite healthy for us and our pets. If Fat Cat wants some give them to him, there probably better than the cat food anyway. My own animals and the ones I foster all eat vegetables as treats and they love them... [Wink]

#67985 - 08/19/05 11:06 PM Re: Fat cat
Pattyann Offline

Donette-
Any new word on your fat baby??
My Rascal B is now on this high protein diet- Atkins for kitties- the last really resticted diet he was on he lost a quarter of a pound- we'll see this one!

#67986 - 08/20/05 02:00 AM Re: Fat cat
donette Offline

Yes we had a new pet store open in town and I started him on Nutro Natural Choice Weight Maintence
20.00 for ten punds but he is eatting less and feels better and I started giving him vitamins again and he is more active and he acts alot better. He still has to have you spinkle a few peices morning and night night even if he hasn't eaten it all (heis just weird that way He doesn't think he has been fed if you don't) but I think he has lost alittle . He is young only 2 and I knew he shoudl not be this fat
The vet only suggested checking thyroid if he doesn't lose on this .. However he really does eat less so I don't think in the end it is really as expensive .. I got it at Petco so if any of you have this problem and don't have a solution I would recommend this for all of them I have tried

Ithink this is high protein too and it is all natural I'm glad your kitty is losing weight also

If you have a problem with money this could be a cheaper solution but whatever works is the best. He now jumps on me on the couch again Still really haevy and knocks the breathe out of me but at least he can jump on the couch again LOL

#67987 - 08/20/05 03:13 AM Re: Fat cat
Pattyann Offline

Hi,Donette
Rascal B is on prescription hi-protein and where he comes money is no object- he's our baby. He needs food put in his bowl twice a day too even if he ate little- but my hub has to feed him - once Don was real late coming home from work and I felt bad so I fed him- well that is not the way it is done in Rascal world so he dumped it all on the floor- gotta love them!

#67988 - 08/20/05 03:23 AM Re: Fat cat
donette Offline

LOL your are right Everyone thinks it terrible we do not give him water and if we do he dumps it all ove r the floor he chooses to drink out of the bathroom sink and likes to get his head just a little bit wet he does it on purpose

Everymorning he LEADS Dale down to his food dish he he Dale goes to the bath room first he will scratch on the door and he MUST lead him there if Dale would get in front of him he has a fit and hurrys up gets ahead of him and then stops till he catches up LOL

#67989 - 08/20/05 03:32 AM Re: Fat cat
donette Offline

LOL your are right Everyone thinks it terrible we do not give him water and if we do he dumps it all ove r the floor he chooses to drink out of the bathroom sink and likes to get his head just a little bit wet he does it on purpose

Everymorning he LEADS Dale down to his food dish he he Dale goes to the bath room first he will scratch on the door and he MUST lead him there if Dale would get in front of him he has a fit and hurrys up gets ahead of him and then stops till he catches up LOL

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved