The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 61 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105488 - 01/30/07 02:40 AM Barbaro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ladies, that beautiful colt was put down today, if you have a moment, please say a prayer for him and all horses.

#105489 - 01/30/07 03:15 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: ]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've been away from the boards for a bit and I'm just dropping by for a sec.What colt? I must have missed the story. But you have my prayers for this and all God's creatures. For sure. I'm so glad the world has people like you MustangGal that loves them unconditionally!

#105490 - 01/30/07 03:45 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
Oh no, I just read an article about him in a magazine last week! If I remember right, this was a race horse with great potential and he fell and broke his leg.

Most horses in that situation are put down, but the owner did her best to nurse him back to health. That's sad to hear he's gone so soon after I read the uplifting story.

Kathy

#105491 - 01/30/07 04:20 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Mustang, I am sad hearing this news. Why do they put horses down after they break a leg? Why can't they fix it and let them go to a sanctuary for such? I don't understand.

chick

#105492 - 01/30/07 10:38 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: chickadee]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I guess I have not been following the story either. The last I had heard he was doing quite well.

I love your connection with horses, Mustang. They are such grand animals and the few times that I have had the opportunity to ride them, I have felt so safe, like they cared for me, a stranger.

Do horses enjoy being ridden like a husky loves to pull a sled?

#105493 - 01/30/07 02:00 PM Re: Barbaro [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My horse didn't enjoy being ridden but then, she was just nasty.

I cried when I heard they had put him down but they said he was really uncomfortable. I hope they have frozen some of his sperm for future runners. He was one of the greatest horses yet. Won the last six races hands down. Just a magnificent creature.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#105494 - 01/31/07 02:45 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: Dianne]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you ladies, below is a genuine article about Barbaro:

Barbaro, The Heart In the Winner's Circle

By Jane Smiley
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, January 30, 2007; C01

Nine years ago, I had a thoroughbred mare who came down with colic in the night, and was too far gone to save by the time she was found at 6 a.m. After she was euthanized, I remember staring at her body, which was stretched out in the grass, running my hands over her. Her coat was shining. Her haunch was rounded and firm. Her feet and legs were perfect. Only that one thing had been wrong, that twist in her gut, but it was enough, and it killed her. So it is with all horses.

They are engineered so close to the margins of what is physically possible that when one thing fails, it can cause the failure of the whole animal.

So it was with Barbaro, who was euthanized yesterday. When we saw his pictures over the last months, his ears were up, he was attentive and beautiful and interested. He looked pretty good, except for those casts.

His vets warned us all along that the odds were against him, but we didn't really believe them. They had hope, too. How could a horse who appeared so full of life break his leg and be so suddenly close to death? His head was fine. His back was fine. His lungs and heart and chest were fine. In fact, after a while, his broken leg was fairly fine. It was another leg that was so worrisome, since the weight of his body constantly bearing down on the delicate structures inside his foot eventually damaged and destroyed them.

A horse's hoof is wondrous structure -- the outside horn is lined with delicate membranes and blood vessels that feed and support the bones of the foot. The bones of the foot are analogous to a person's fingertips, since a horse's knee is analogous to a person's wrist. The racehorse carries a thousand pounds at 35 to 40 miles per hour using a few slender bones supported by an apparatus of ligaments and tendons that have no analogues in human anatomy. Every part of the system depends on every other part. What happened to Barbaro was that the engineering couldn't take it. When it was right, as in the Kentucky Derby, it was perfectly right, and when it became wrong, it became irredeemably wrong.

Some observers have been angered by the outpouring of sympathy toward Barbaro, but there is something extra large about the death of a horse.

And the death of a thoroughbred seems to me to be even more shocking, because thoroughbreds have been bred to press on and prevail where other breeds of horse throw in the towel. When we saw Barbaro in last May's Kentucky Derby fly away from the field so gracefully and effortlessly, he was doing something thoroughbreds have been bred to do for 300 years -- to sense the encroaching fatigue of three-quarters of a mile at top speed and want only to run faster, to push ahead and take the lead.

We say that thoroughbreds have "blood," meaning the DNA of desert Arab horses, and "heart," meaning fortitude, desire and competitive spirit.

It was heart that we saw in Barbaro, not only on Derby Day, but also on Preakness Day, when he stood injured in the middle of the track, touching his toe to the ground and snatching it up again, somehow impatient, somehow not truly aware of the pain, somehow still ready to get going.

I watched the Preakness with some lifelong racing people. When Barbaro was injured, we turned the TV off. All of us had seen it before; everyone who loves racing has seen it all too many times. It is the paradox of racing. His dynamic beauty and his exceptional heart were gifts Barbaro inherited from his racing forebears, who had the luck and toughness to run and win and prove themselves worthy of reproducing.

And then, during his medical saga, he showed that he was intelligent, too. According to a friend of mine who talked to trainer Michael Matz in the summer, Barbaro knew when he needed some pain relief -- he would stand by the sling and shake it until they put him in it, and when he was tired of it, he would shake himself so that it rattled, signaling he was ready to be taken out. And then he would go to his stall and lie down.

Did he want to survive? It seemed as though he did.

In a great racehorse, the heart and mind do the running, and the body tries to hold up.

Yes, to those who don't care about horses, terrible things are happening all over the world these days, and they demand from many people an unprecedented level of endurance, but we horse lovers say: This, too? That this beautiful and innocent animal should also die?

When I think of Barbaro, I like to think also of some of the tough ones -- John Henry, Seabiscuit, a horse I bred a mare to once named Loyal Pal. Among the three of them, they ran hundreds of times. They managed to avoid the bad steps and the bad luck, to go to the races as if a race were a trot in the park, coming back afterward to a bucket of grain and a long nap. Sometimes, thousands of fans thrilled to their exploits. Sometimes, the only ones watching were the owner, the trainer and a few punters. Like Barbaro, they did it because they were born and bred to do it, because a thoroughbred loves to run, and because they didn't know what it meant not to keep on trying.

Jane Smiley is the author of "Horse Heaven," "A Year at the Races" and the forthcoming "Ten Days in the Hills."

#105495 - 01/31/07 03:38 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Thanks, Mustang. And thanks, Dianne for giving me your answer to the question "do horses like to be ridden". I imagine there are nasty members of every breed of life.

#105496 - 01/31/07 09:52 AM Re: Barbaro [Re: Anno]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
When living in Illinois, many afternoons were spent at the Arlington Race track and knowing many horse owners I was priviledged to spend time in and around the stables near the horss. What magnificient animals. As large as they are they are pretty delicate creatures.

Out here in Vegas they have the wild Mustang round ups once a year....Now thats neat!

Edited by chatty lady (01/31/07 09:55 AM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#105497 - 01/31/07 12:46 PM Re: Barbaro [Re: chatty lady]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
So sad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved