The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#199629 - 02/14/10 08:02 PM Dead Horses
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I wanted to let you know of a man who lives down the street from my MIL and had horses that were dying due to malnutrition and neglect. What's sad is my MIL had called the Prichard animal control folks at least a couple of times about these horses as did my sister-in-law. This area comes under Prichard and as long as it took these animals to starve and die, there's no way that the police or animal control folks checked on them. I saw a man once riding a horse that was so skinny that it was hard to believe the horse could even walk, much less carry a person. They showed photos of these horses lying in cold mud and unable to get out. One had to be put down on the spot, one was found dead and two found new homes but would take weeks to recover.
This same Prichard animal control facility told me they would check on a dog that was pinned up at a home across the street from my MIL...it was being starved as well. Why do these officials say they'll check on animals and then do nothing? Do they just like to drive around in their trucks and 'look' like they're doing their job? What about really rescuing animals that are being mistreated? Here's the article:

Breaking News from the Press-Register
Local news updates from Mobile and surrounding communitiesEight Mile neighbors say authorities aren't checking emaciated horses
By David Ferrara
February 04, 2010, 7:45AM
Standing by three emaciated horses that appeared to be dying, a group of neighbors in the Eight Mile community said Wednesday they could not get authorities to check on the animals.

Inside a stable along Woodruff Drive, two brown Tennessee Walkers lay in slop on their sides, kicking their legs and shaking their heads. In a field on the same fenced-in property, another Tennessee Walker lay motionless.

The older horse in the stable, roughly 5 years old, was called Blade, while the younger, about 2 years old, was called Honey, according to a neighbor who declined to give his name.

Jared and Brandy Taylor, cousins who live nearby, said they had tried to call authorities with the Prichard Police Department and the Mobile County Sheriff's Office starting at about 8 a.m., and continued throughout the day, but authorities never showed up.

Brandy Taylor said she first spotted the horse in the field, noticing the apparent neglect, and then found the two in the stable.

"We couldn't imagine there were horses back there like that," she said.

At least three other horses were walking around on the property.

A Press-Register reporter waited near the horses for more than two hours Wednesday evening without authorities arriving.

The Mobile County Commission agreed that it would assist Prichard with animal control last year, but on Wednesday Lori Myles, a sheriff's office spokeswoman, said her office had passed along a report to Prichard police, because the property was outside the sheriff's office jurisdiction.

"We cannot go unless the police jurisdiction calls us and asks us to take over," Myles said.

A dispatcher with Prichard police said the condition of the horses had been reported but she would not say when an officer would be sent to the scene.

Prichard spokeswoman Latoya Veal could not say whether police were investigating the report.

As the sky grew dark, another neighbor approached and tried to feed two of the horses as they writhed in mud and manure.

At about 7 p.m., a man who said he owned the horses but not the property, asked neighbors and the reporter to leave the area.

The man said he had left the horses and 200 pounds of feed with the owner, whom he would not identify.

#199645 - 02/15/10 12:20 AM Re: Dead Horses [Re: Dee]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
If any of you ever sees and/or reports definite neglect or mistreatment of any aninmal and nothing happend, keep calling, and then call the American Humane Society in Washington, D.C. or the local newspaper and make sure a reporter meets you there to take pictures, or you take pictures and take them directly to the newspaper office. Also call PETA, and let them know. Someone will do something if you tell enough people...

If anyone see's such horrible treatment of any animal and then do nothing, they are as guilty as the perpetrator of this crime. In most states now neglect/mistreatment of an animal is a felony, and punishable by jail time and/or a stiff fine, so the police have to respond when called. The more noise you make to sooner these animals will get the help they need.

Document the abuse with pictures always!! I have removed many mistreated animals from peoples property and have never been sued or arrested once my photos were shown, because I document the crime being commited against the animals.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#199654 - 02/15/10 03:42 AM Re: Dead Horses [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

I agree Chatty...again, bless you for what you do to rescue animals.

#199726 - 02/16/10 09:27 PM Re: Dead Horses [Re: Dee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dee,
Now and again, there are cases of neglect and animal abuse around here. That is so sad. My heart can't take it. Some people
should not be allowed to own animals.

#200188 - 02/27/10 04:29 AM Re: Dead Horses [Re: jabber]
MustangGal
Unregistered

OH, this is awful! If the owner had left 200 lbs of feed with the land owner, what happened to the feed? What kind of feed? An average bag of feed weighs 50 lbs which would last about 4 to 6 weeks for 3 horses; provided they also rec'd grass/hay forage. Also, if not properly wormed the horses would not be able to absorb the nutrients from their feed (depending upon the FEC or worm load).

Dee, maybe you could get a few monetary donations and purchase hay (most probably coastal bermuda or TNA or orchard or timothy) -- I'm certain the horses would appreciate any hay. You can get baled or round bales delivered. If you know of any horse folk, as them to help and ensure they receive nutrients and when they begin to put on some weight, worm them with Zimectrin Gold. Begin with light grain feedings 2 oe 3X daily along with hay. Considering their condition, may need to wet the hay to prevent colic. Can also add vegetable oil to their grain at feedings (about 1/4 cup) which will help with coat condition and weight gain.

Gosh, this angers me. Horses are wild, yet we've domesticated them and are therefore responsible for their welfare. Some human folk are just plain dumb.

#200189 - 02/27/10 04:37 AM Re: Dead Horses [Re: ]
MustangGal
Unregistered

I'm sorry, I spoke to soon, or sadly to late for the horses. Here's an update:

PRICHARD, AL - A Prichard man is in jail charged with animal cruelty. Police say Robert Cole was arrested Thursday morning.

On Wednesday, February 3, 2010, at approximately 10:20 a.m., Prichard Animal Control responded to the 4300 block of Woodruff Road in response to an animal neglect call. Upon their arrival on scene, they discovered five horses on the property, two of which were lying down inside their stables in poor health conditions. Animal Control than proceeded to contact the property owner and caretaker of the horses. Two of the horses were evaluated by a veterinarian who determined they had to be humanely euthanized due to malnourishment. Subsequently, a third horse died overnight, also due to a lack of food.

Cole is charged with 3 counts of Animal Cruelty. He will also be charged with three counts of failure to provide adequate food and water and three counts of failure to keep shelter clean, in accordance with the City’s ordinance. The same charges are also pending against the owner of the animals at this time.

The two additional horses on the property have been turned over to Oak Hollow Farm in Fairhope.

Case Updates
Baby Doll and Sweet Pea are eating up a storm and being showered with love. It's a far cry from their previous living conditions.

"They just left their horses there. They've been roaming the neighborhoods just eating people's grass and plants, trying to get anything they can eat," Michelle Taylor said.

"I did everything I could trying to get those horses safe," Taylor added.

Prichard Animal Control responded to the home on Woodruff Road after concerned neighbors called about animal neglect.

"When officers arrived on scene they discovered five horses on the property. Two of which were lying down inside their stables in poor health conditions. Two of the horses were evaluated by a vet who determined they had to be euthanized due to lack of food. Also a third one died overnight Wednesday due to malnourishment," Latoya Veal with the City of Prichard said.

Caretaker Robert Cole III was arrested and faces numerous charges, including three counts of animal cruelty.

Only two horses were in fair condition. The survivors were taken to Oak Hollow Farm in Fairhope. Barn Manager Lynne Powell is building up their strength.

"High protein, give them Senior which is easy for them to digest. A lot of hay, a lot of water. They have 20 acres to themselves, green grass and hay and they were running this morning. Their eyes were a little glazed over yesterday from being weak, but they were full of spirits and feeling great this morning," Powell said.

In time, they'll join the other 40 horses on the farm, but not before getting back to 100 percent.

"One's feet is really in a bad way," Powell added.

At least now the horses will have lots of TLC and live the rest of their lives in greener pastures.

In addition to animal cruelty charges, the caretaker is also facing three counts of failure to provide adequate food and water and three counts of failure to keep shelter clean. City officials said the property owner was out of town. He is actually the owner of the horses and will facing the same charges as well.

#200226 - 02/28/10 01:33 AM Re: Dead Horses [Re: ]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well it's about dam time someone did something. Too bad the other horses had to die such an excruiating death. I hope he gets a tough judge that will throw the book at this miserable excuse for a human being. Please keep us posted M.A.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200311 - 03/01/10 09:05 PM Re: Dead Horses [Re: chatty lady]
Dee Offline

You'd have to know the town of Prichard to understand why no one did anything.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved