The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#67810 - 05/31/05 11:48 PM mentally ill mama bird?
maryanne stahl Offline

Loc: Savannah
There is this morning dove that builds nests in the ferns on my porch. She hatches the babies (usually 2 or 3) and keeps sitting on them--until they die! She never feeds them, never moves! Until we clean out the nest and then she builds another. This is her third time this season! Last time I tried to feed the babies but it didn't really work. I have three cats, one of whom likes to sit on the porch and watch her. Is this paralyzing her?

I don't know what to do?

#67811 - 06/01/05 01:27 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Oh wow. Maybe you could call a pet store or bird vet and ask them? I've never heard of this.

#67812 - 06/01/05 01:38 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
How sad for the babies. Maybe you could call your local zoo or look online to find someone who might know the behavior patterns of the mourning doves and can help you out.

These sites might have "feedback" or contact information.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Mourning_Dove.html

http://www.wbu.com/chipperwoods/photos/mdove.htm

http://www.all-birds.com/Mourning-Dove.htm

this is an amazing story of how one person chronicled the plight of a pair of mourning doves that nested in his flower box.
http://www.matthewjcook.com/personal/dove.shtml

#67813 - 06/01/05 01:56 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Maryanne,

The babies are being fed a "milk" from their Mamma.(they are not going hungry) She does appear to leave, but switches with her partner so you may not think it is the same bird.
Hope this helps

chick

[ May 31, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#67814 - 06/01/05 02:14 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
maryanne
here's a site that will answer your questions...Mother nature is amazing.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/pdf/wildlife/morningdove_questions.pdf#search='mourning%20dove%20questions'

Except for the dead babies, what you are experiencing is natural in Doves. Three broods is normal too.

chick

#67815 - 06/01/05 06:38 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
Kelly L. Adams Stone Offline

Loc: Florida
Last spring I was delighted to watch a mother robin sitting on 3 blue eggs in a tree in my front yard. Then one day I looked out there and a big crow was in the nest, and the eggs were in pieces on the ground. Mother Robin was nowhere to be seen. I called a wildlife place and was told that crows are predatory birds and eat other birds as well as their eggs. That bothered me for a while but then I realized it was something in nature that I have no control over. Maybe this is the same thing-- there must be a reason for it that we are not capable of understanding.

#67816 - 06/01/05 11:30 PM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Where's chatty when you need her?

[ June 01, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#67817 - 06/03/05 02:14 AM Re: mentally ill mama bird?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I'm right here but not much can be done when Mother Nature rears her sometime, ugly head. These things happen and there isn't much we can do. Its sad that the strong animals devour the weaker ones but it happens all the time. Its the human preditors I fight against 24/7... [Cool]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved