The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 87 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#210027 - 01/03/11 02:44 PM What's your favorite...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
What's your favorite dog and why?

#210029 - 01/03/11 07:28 PM Re: What's your favorite...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Jabber,

There have only been a few dogs in my life, and all of them were wonderful. Lucky, the last dog, was a "pound dog," and mostly Black Lab.

She was hugely intelligent, loyal, empathetic, and devoted. She also had a gentleness to her, though she was fearless in protecting her people.

The empathy was displayed when her people were sad. She was very good at providing comfort and support, and eventually helping you come out of your sadness - quite often by finding ways to encourage you to play with her. This trait was very evident when my first husband died, and the kids were (naturally) sad and depressed.

She had a playful side, and loved to go for walks.

She was not too much into retrieving however. If you wanted to play catch with her for example, she would bring the ball or stick back a few times, but then would refuse to continue retrieving. She seemed to be saying, "I've returned that ball to you half a dozen times, and you keep throwing it away. Why do you think I should keep going after it?

Eventually she even won Steve over, and the two of them developed a very special understanding. I even left her in his care when the kids and I had to leave town for a family funeral. They managed swimmingly.

Those are the primary reasons I would vote for that breed.

My ex bought her as a birthday present for our son, and promised me that I would never have to care for her -- which was a good promise at the time, as Steve was not interested in having a large dog who would jump up on him and have the potential to knock him over - wearing leg braces, you can imagine that is a fear of his...

However, when my ex became ill with cancer, we began keeping the dog with us during times he was in the hospital, and we did our best to keep her in the kid's area of the house, and train her not to jump on Steve.

When my ex died, everyone told us to get rid of the dog. But I just couldn't do that - she was my son's dog, and he was so devastated over the loss of his father, I just couldn't take away his dog, too.

So Lucky became a part of the household. Steve trained her not to bark more than once when she wanted to come in from outside, and eventually she was allowed to roam the full house.

Once our son got older, the dog became very attached to me, and went everywhere with me. For reasons that are too involved to go into here, we got to a point where I even took her to work with me, and she would sleep in my office, greet all office guests, and ride in the car when I went on errands, like going for the mail or to the bank.

Sadly Lucky died about 7 years ago, and we have not been able to bring ourselves to get a new dog.

But I would vote for Labs, though Lucky was not a purebred, and was a bit smaller than a full-size Lab. She only weighed about 50 pounds.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#210033 - 01/03/11 10:56 PM Re: What's your favorite...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Anne,
Loved hearing about Lucky. Dog stories warm my heart. The second
last dog I had was part border collie and part lab. She was
sweet and awesome. Never did one thing wrong. My last dog was
full lab; we had two trainers for her. Her last dog attack, the owner became involved and was bitten. So it was a sad day when
had to put her down. Now we have a Goldendoodle. She has the personality of that border vollie and we love her beyond words.
We also have inherited my MIL's dog, a Corky. The two gals get
along fine.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved