The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71222 - 11/18/05 03:21 AM Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Ok, not sure what to do, or if I should do anything.

DH and I have been married 9 years. Not ONCE has his kids offered to come HERE for Christmas. Granted, the first few years, DH was working (shift work) and before that he always worked Christmas since he was single.

So, do I say something (DSD lives 5 hrs away w/her DH, DSS lives a plane ride away) or should I be happy to spend ANY time with them AT any time, even if it's a few weeks before Christmas. The birth mother always seems to "get Christmas". These kids are 33 and 35.

We're probably boring to them since we have five dogs and a lonely house. I just get so irritated. DH says he wants them to "make their own decisions" but what gives? I dont' want to say anything without DH knowing first. I almost think he's afraid to ask them.

What should I do or not do??

#71223 - 11/18/05 03:58 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Personally I would let sleeping dogs lie, in other words do nothing! Or at least discuss it with your husband and if he's agreeable you two together could either call and invite them up or write them a nice invitation and see what happens....You'll never know if you don't ask. But make sure DH is agreeble...my two cents.

#71224 - 11/18/05 09:09 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Di Offline

Yeah, I just got to thinking. I've never formally invited them! Now I feel really badly. And I will convey that to them as well. Like, "Ya know, I got to thinking why our whole family has never spent a holiday together. And it's MY fault for never inviting you all!!"

I'll see how that flies.

#71225 - 11/18/05 11:39 PM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
ladybug Offline

I'd go ahead and ask them to come after talking to your husband about it.

They may actually prefer the peace and quiet in your house and find it comforting, not boring!

I had my husbands father and step-mom here for eleven Christmas' in a row. They'd stay with us for two or three days.

I miss her and wish she could be with us again. In fact, I liked her better than my father-in-law.

We rarely got asked down to Pa. where my husband is from. I had to do all the asking and begging.

I'd have really appreciated an invitation like yours so go ahead and try it. If they say no it's their loss, not yours and you can say you did try.

#71226 - 11/22/05 04:39 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
The worse that can happen is that they say "no". And perhaps you can make it another time.

Lynn

#71227 - 11/22/05 06:23 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Better to have asked and heard no, than to never have asked at all....sound familar???

#71228 - 11/25/05 09:37 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Di Offline

ok, I spoke with DH about it. And I mentioned this to his son:

"Ya know, Dad and I have been married nearly 10 years and we have never had you guys here for Christmas. I feel it's my fault for never officially inviting you". He says, "Well, our family was never 'like that'".

Hindsight: I wish I would have said "Yeah, but we CAN be that way".

I went on to tell him that I want him to know that this is his home as well. That we would LOVE to have our children here for Christmas just once!

DH says that we can "try" this with his daughter,but he thinks it won't work. The "MOM" is literally addicted to her kids and has pretty much control over them.

So, we'll see what happens.

in the meantime, I'm going to take someones advice and decorate for Christmas before DSD and her DH get here next week and WE will have Christmas in addition to our own little baby shower.

#71229 - 11/26/05 08:08 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Di, I want you for a step-mother. You are so thoughtful of your husband's children. I hope he appreciates you for this.

#71230 - 11/26/05 04:20 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Good for you DI and I bet you'll be happy you did. Even if it doesn't go well YOU put forth the effort and thats the main thing....I bet the decorations will make you feel more cheery and your husband to. Like I said earlier, you both count too so get with the program and be festive even if just for the two of you....

#71231 - 11/26/05 04:42 AM Re: Christmas w/adult steps...never happened yet!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
You gals are gonna be proud of me! After being very stubborn for almost two years, I invited my youngest stepson for Thanksgiving. We had a fun time and it went really well. My granddaughter said it was the best holiday she's ever had!

Over that hump!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved