The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155808 - 08/10/08 02:26 AM Conversations with adult/single step son
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
My 38 yr old single step son lives way north...and the last time we've seen him was 7 years ago.

We obviously don't see him much but I am wondering what conversation topics might me something I could talk to him about.

DH usually talks to him....but if I ever get the chance, I'm looking for ideas ladies!

#155815 - 08/10/08 03:07 AM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
It sounds like you barely know him. Obviously to know via your hubby, what his interests/lifestyle is like now.

Hard to answer this one. Is he going to be staying you folks?

With my partner's son who is now 28, I guess I worry less about what we talk about since he's matured as a great young man (now with his own son). When he visited us for several days a few months ago, the great connector..was food. laugh He is a chef to earn his living...so he pored over my foodie books. I happily gave away 3 books to him that are clearly oriented to foodies.

He happily prepared for us 2 cheffy dinners. And of course, my partner was more than thrilled to accompany him and they bought the ingredients for the chef...

In a way, I don't expect to talk tons with him, but hope more for him to kick up, be happy, rest/veg and enjoy our company.
Whenever he visits, it's a happy, comfortable feeling for everyone.

#155864 - 08/10/08 07:57 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
When is he coming to town? I would just base it on what he does for a living and what he enjoys in his spare time. If you don't know much about him, I'd just ask - but that's me - the curious one! I just put questions out there and I can sorta figure out when I need to stop asking...

#155871 - 08/10/08 08:48 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: Dotsie]
Di Offline

I do not foresee him coming to town, but we never know. I guess "Dad" is not as important as "Mom" is in a divorce situation.

He actually dislikes NM...dry, dusty desert. Even though he grew up here. That is why I just let DH talk to him on the phone When/if we see him again, it'll be easier to converse in person.

#155873 - 08/10/08 09:01 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Di
I do not foresee him coming to town, but we never know. I guess "Dad" is not as important as "Mom" is in a divorce situation.

He actually dislikes NM...dry, dusty desert. Even though he grew up here. That is why I just let DH talk to him on the phone When/if we see him again, it'll be easier to converse in person.

Time will tell, Di. If his birth father was always a reasonable father to him, the role of "Dad" as part of his development will become more obvious. Hopefully.

Understanding/becoming aware of the influence of same sex parent on oneself's development as one grows older..really has less to do with divorced parents..but more of a person maturing over time.

At least that's my theory.

#155874 - 08/10/08 09:06 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: orchid]
Di Offline

You're right, Orchid. He and his dad, my DH, are very much alike. They can carry on conversations for hours about tech stuff. They are both VERY tech savvy.

And maybe men don't "need" the family bonding type things as women do. I know I am family starved, but DH does not seem to be bothered by it so much. He certainly is not making much of an effort to fly to see his son either!

#165222 - 11/10/08 08:10 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Di, men are so different on these subjects, most of them anyway. I agree we women seem to need the interaction with family, and other women whereas men do not care one way or another, or so it seems...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#167701 - 12/15/08 12:11 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

About being family starved. He may be as well but men do not usually show their emotions on things like that. I too feel family starved at times especially having been raised surrounded by family and relatives galore. Now its just me usually.

#167814 - 12/16/08 12:19 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, this must be hard for you. I'm sure this is the reason you open your home to others during the holidays. I think it's a great way to fill your heart, and the hearts of others.

#167843 - 12/16/08 08:05 PM Re: Conversations with adult/single step son [Re: Dotsie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Its a sad substitute at best Dotsie but most who come here to share with me have no one at all, either they live far, far away or are all deceased.

We are all alone pretty much and so we comfort one another with good food, companionship, laughter, singing, and lots of hugs all around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved