The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 190 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#181359 - 05/03/09 07:41 PM Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
So here I am at home and my partner is in Europe. I could have joined him but decided didn't want to spend more money on food and airfare when right now I am unemployed. We already went to Hawaii at beginning of this yr. and I wouldn't have known I would have no job at that time.

However, part of this trip is business reasons for him and so the trip destinations were driven partially by this reason. Have already been to Brussels, Brugges(in Belgium, a town with medieval canals) and paris for a few days each place a long time. So if I had tagged along with him, biking from point to point, I would have felt itchy to see other different cities/areas in Europe since there is so much more I haven't seen there.

Now I learn yesterday, that my father might be showing signs of prostate cancer. He is 80. I already purchased a ticket several months ago for trip to Ontario this Sept. Again I had no idea at ticket purchase time, that I would be unemployed. This is getting complicated since I'm trying to time this personal trip properly so that I don't jeoporadize any job offer if it happens and also the additional cost of paying charge to change ticket flight dates if I am forced to.

Any of you get stuck in these wierd travel planning-life situations because:

1) you are at slightly different life stages than your partner
2) family priorities.

If the fairy godmother could show up and wave her magical starry sprinkles, to make things easier. tired

#181362 - 05/03/09 07:55 PM Re: Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life [Re: orchid]
Edelweiss3 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Orchid, sorry to hear about your father. I think prostate cancer is common in older men, and doesn’t even affect their life span. I read that somewhere. So I hope this will be the case for your father as well. I’m sure some of the nurses here can tell you more.
Sounds like your partner’s business is going well. Doesn’t he need a secretary or event manager? Have you considered working with him?
Oh yes, it is often hard to juggle personal wishes with professional ones.

#181363 - 05/03/09 08:11 PM Re: Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life [Re: Edelweiss3]
orchid Offline

Originally Posted By: Edelweiss3
Sounds like your partner’s business is going well. Doesn’t he need a secretary or event manager? Have you considered working with him?
Oh yes, it is often hard to juggle personal wishes with professional ones.

Well, if his company wins approx. $1 million project contract, I'll be on board. But no indicator so far in horizon. In his line of business the contract $$ are way smaller. Certainly, we've talked about it. Hard to know what may happen but this business is only for the next few years (since he should be enjoying his retirement). Right now, his laptop died and he is computer-less in Europe which from a biz perspective is not good.

Re my father: The latest news was abit shocking simply because neither parent told me even though I spoke with them on phone last wk. But I know them...

Based on what we know if it is prostate cancer, it is negative prognosis for 80% of men in his age bracket. For much younger men, at this time, I understand they do chemotherapy, etc.

Right now, further testing is required.
On the surface so far, father so far has had no cardiovascular or respiratory problems. Proper weight (or even a tad underweight). No mobility problems. He has low blood pressure.

#181400 - 05/04/09 02:40 PM Re: Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Orchid, a dear friend just learned that he is cancer free since going through prostate cancer treatments. I pray the same for your dad.

Living in limbo is tough. I recall doing that when going through infertility, always hoping to get pregnant, but never knowing, so really uncertain of how to plan for the future. Sounds similar to what you're going through.

Perhaps the best thing to do is get travel insurance, making sure you won't take a loss if you have to cancel.

Are you fretting about your unemployment, or trying to make the most of your free time?

#181431 - 05/04/09 10:14 PM Re: Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life [Re: Dotsie]
orchid Offline

My priorities are: 1) find job (preferably full-time) 2) staying healthy That's how I allocate my blocks of time every day. So every day is cycling 1-2 hrs. solid outdoors. There is a danger during this time period of overeating which is why I have to do this.

I'll have to play it by ear, to see how my travel plans to Toronto to see my parents can be worked in with life's changes this year. (Looking back on last 4 months, it has been abit strange. crazy)

Any other time is websurfing smile and other stuff. Volunteer work here and there. Next wk. is Bike to Work Week where across the city there is a massive annual bike commuter promotion campaign of offering free juice and snacks for people who bike commute and stop along along info. tables on the joy of cycling. So will be volunteering for a few hrs. several days just next wk. --with volunteer work shift starting at 7:00 am. rain or shine to greet the cyclists and chat up briefly.

Most large North American cities (with a strong cycling organizations and committed municipalities) are celebrating Bike Month or Bike to Work Week during May or June annually with various bike related activities.

#182543 - 05/19/09 04:50 PM Re: Travel sacrifices, diff. stages in life [Re: orchid]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thought I'd drop in this thread and share that the NABBW is partnering with a gal who plans girlfriend get-aways. I can't wait. I beleive there's going to be one to Tennessee in the fall and I'm not going to miss it. More details to come.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved