The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 59 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209134 - 11/24/10 12:47 AM Missing mine!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This is the time of year when having no family near me makes me feel sad. I never regretted moving away from my girlhood home before until I reachad around 60. Now it happens often but too late to change anything anyway, so many have passed away.
So Thursday I'll cook a huge turkey and have left over turkey for a month in bags in the freezer for whenever I want a non-fattening snack. I look forward to that. I hope everyone eats their fill and has a full heart as well. Even though I may dine alone (me & Sassy) my heart will be full knowing my friends might give me a thought on their happy day.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#209137 - 11/24/10 08:39 AM Re: Missing mine! [Re: chatty lady]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Of all people in this world, you, my dear Chatty, should not be alone on Thanksgiving. But if so, know that you are in my thoughts, and that I wish you a beautiful peaceful holiday.

I don't have the energy to make a huge Thanksgiving dinner this year. I'm just now finished with all the technicalities that have to be taken care of after a loved one dies. There is so much to do. Thanksgiving, Hubby will be taking me out to eat, somewhere really nice.

He is so sweet to me right now. I'm very thankfull for that.

#209170 - 11/25/10 07:09 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: Edelweiss2]
jakkom Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
My family members always invite friends to join our Thanksgiving. Sometimes they accept, sometimes not.

My immediate family are all foodies, so we do a round-robin email exchange to work out the menu together. That way nobody feels they 'always' have to do the turkey or anything else. This kind of group decision allows everyone to volunteer to do whatever they feel up to, each year.

Chatty, I hope you are able to enjoy a happy Thanksgiving with your Sassy. Edelweiss, I hear you about being too tired to do a big production right now. It is so emotionally draining after a loved one dies, it takes quite a while to get back 'up to speed'.

#209184 - 11/26/10 11:01 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Chatty, I am so sad to hear you cooked a big turkey all by yourself... but I hear you on the importance of having leftovers in the freezer.

Steve and I went out for Thanksgiving dinner rather than drive a couple of hours to spend it with his family. It was his choice. There were going to be 36 people there, even without us, and the house is not only small, but most of the people would have been very distant relatives - very few of whom we actually had any relation to -- which is what happens when you get blended families and steps and etc.

Probably the biggest reason we didn't go was that physically getting into the house would have been challenging for him, since there are many steps.

ANYWAY, I have a 13 pound bird thawing as I will be making a turkey and stuffing tomorrow. Going out is nice, but then you don't have any leftovers...and we love leftover turkey.

I'll keep it simple: turkey, stuffing and gravy, plus mashed potatoes and canned cranberry sauce. Oh, and a pumpkin pie, of course!

But one final thought: Any chance you could find some group of neighbors or friends to share the day with next year? It's so sad to think of someone as dynamic as you being alone on the holidays.

Edited by Anne Holmes (11/26/10 11:04 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#209186 - 11/27/10 10:09 AM Re: Missing mine! [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Oh my Anne. I meant I wasn't cooking for a large group as usual but people dropped in as they were on their way to or from somewhere for a snack and I still got 6 baggies into the freezer just for me. I have been the center of so many things throughout the years, feeding the poor, feeding the Seniors and of course the NSPCA animals in cages at the shelter that it feels good to just cook and take whatever comes that day. I am a woman comfortable in her own skin and her own presence. It was great!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#209192 - 11/27/10 02:52 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
It's fun reading about what other folks' are doing on certain
holidays. Those of you in a warm climate are envied by yours truly. Thanksgiving day the weather was fine but today we have
several inches of snow. The wind is strong. And I'm either too cold or too hot. I was born and raised here; so I love the location. But it seems every year 'round this time, I have to
gripe some. LOL... what can ya do? Prayers and blessings to all of you!!!!

#209194 - 11/27/10 04:30 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
My partner and I spent a quiet day at home - by design.We had a tofurkey roast with veggies followed by creme brulee in chocolate cups for dessert. Then I watched my Saints beat the Cowboys while my partner played on the computer. It was a wonderful day!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#209195 - 11/27/10 04:55 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: yonuh]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
We had family and friends and it was neat this year because the cousins are on their way to adult-hood and listening to them talk about their jobs and plans was fun.

Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with lots of brown sugar and marshmallows, cranberry fruit mix, rolls, green bean casserole, stuffing, veggies, fresh pineapple, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, cherry pie, pumpkin bread and almond poppyseed bread. Talk about stuffed!!

All the girls took a walk after dinner, then we played games. Apples to Apples, Farkle, etc. It was a great day! And of course, football was on as well.

We always go around the table to say what we are thankful for, and while most everyone seems slightly embarrassed, they nearly all get tears in their eyes when they talk about loved ones and their blessings. It's a good reminder of why we are celebrating.

#209200 - 11/27/10 08:30 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
Sounds beautiful, Dancing Dolphin. It's so good to hear from you again.

#209201 - 11/27/10 10:59 PM Re: Missing mine! [Re: Edelweiss2]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
DD,
Sounds as if you had a wonderful time. That makes me happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved