The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208370 - 10/12/10 08:41 PM blessed beyond my belief
judym Offline

Loc: AL
Today is our 37th anniversary. Our marriage was one NOT embraced by my parents, me being 18 and in college...but I met my soon to be spouse in May of 73 - we bloomed a friendship then- and married him in October. We were engaged in August of that year on his birthday. Sadly, our marriage was sort of an elopement, but the town registrar leaked out the news to my parents and all and that was a dicy point.(small town drama!) We were married by a Methodist minister in our town that DID insist and give us the prenup test when we talked to him at that time, and he said he never had seen two people so well suited for one another. I saved those tests, and they are true statements!Still to this day...I think a lot of couples today overthink everything and are not willing to make the sacrafices, that's just me. I just wish everyone else had seen that we were so well suited to one another... Our anniversary is a bittersweet day, I love my husband but hated for the strife it made in our lives...it took my Dad till right before his first grandson arrived 6 yrs. later to make peace, and my Mom took the brunt of it (she supported our decision to much hurt to her, and I will always love her for that so much- she really had a great relationship with my spouse and that was awesome!).
Anyway, my dear man works away most of the time, me here managing and he away doing the same...but our time together is totally precious and the clock ticks with anticipation before he arrives, and meter running when he gets home...but we enjoy every single minute...Some say we have the best of both worlds- it's like a honeymoon everytime he comes home...I beg to object, it's very hard but it's what we have done (even with the kids being little which was very hard- he travelled while I was pregnant and after the sons arrived...but was ALWAYS there for their births...) and what we will do till he retires...That wonderful man sent me 37 of my favorite roses today, and a card that would make you blush to read...I'm a romantic, and he always has been also, and shows it now more than ever! We are more blessed than we know. Isn't it wonderful to find your best friend, marry them (despite the calendar pages and whatall) and spend your time as happily as you can-despite the ups and downs. Granted, and I know this is life as a whole- you don't have EVERY day being the beer and skittles- but boy howdy- you just have to learn how to make a give and take and respect one another, and NO one is perfect, despite our romantic interludes at first- it HAS taken work, and a good portion of intestinal fortitude and forgivedness, and understanding. I think that is the keyword, understanding. He is my heartbeat and I love him still after these many years and so much to deal with. For sure it's been one interesting trip, and hoping for more adventures to come!

#208373 - 10/12/10 10:19 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: judym]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Happy Anniversary! Your story is wonderful; you are extremely fortunate to have married your best friend.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#208384 - 10/13/10 07:39 AM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: yonuh]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Happy Anniversary Judy! You definitely got a winner smile

Poet and essayist

#208403 - 10/13/10 06:38 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: meredithbead]
judym Offline

yes indeed he is the best friend of my life and my true soulmate. I thank you so much for the great wishes. Here's a little more TMI- going thru what we all go thru (and sometimes he felt like my head was spinning around and I would croak in a satanic voice and spew, I thought it was good he was away while the menopause devil was chasing me- but he was here for the brunt of it and my surgery to correct issues there- and would just try to boost me up when it got to be a point of surgical correction and the aftereffects. He really took a lot of time to research it and understand what I was going thru, and has been very helpful, insightful, and understanding there also.
We all go thru passages in life,when we get older it is a rocky journey of dealing with and reinventing yourself to your needs at the time, the sad stuff and the bad stuff - and still dealing with and being hopeful and planning for the future.... and I know we are blessed to have have learned to embrace the theory that life is a journey, not a destination. Here's to one awesome trip and more miles to come! All that wander are not LOST! I think it should be that All that WONDER are not lost! Thanks y'all!

#208404 - 10/13/10 07:07 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: judym]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Happy anniversary, Judy!

37 years is quite an accomplishment.

I just did the math, and figured out that you got married in 1973. That is the same year I married my first husband... but we were only married for 10 years.

So congratulations on your marital success you have accomplished something many strive for but never achieve...

I love your comments at the end
Quote:
Here's to one awesome trip and more miles to come!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#208407 - 10/13/10 07:33 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: Anne Holmes]
judym Offline

I thank you , and I know my post was a bit of braggidocio- too much hubris on the day but I do know we are blessed-and I hope there are many more out there with the love of their souls- truly also hoping your life was better after your marriage ended, and hope not for a sad passing- and sorry if such, truly all passings are really sad- the ones of nature and the ones of man... there are no guarantees with all the best intention. Every day and every speed bump in the road is something to ponder, deal with and triumph over despite the outcomes... but I am no poster child for marriage for sure cause we have had our dilemnas and issues...they were earthshaking at the time but overcomable...! I still have some real hard issues to deal with but I am working on that and it does give me a new view and delight! Yep, married 73, just 1 yr. out of HS- and believe me it HAS taken work to keep it alive. I always am sad for others (I have many friends that have divorced recently, and I am always gobstruck at their path and plight and the pain, and so happy and supportive for their overcoming such a great sea change in their lives, and going on to become themselves finally...and I celebrate their rebirth, because as you probably know- women of our era were to be spousemates at the cost of themselves in a lot of subtle and not so subtle ways...) I am so glad the generations of my daughter in law are different- I am always amazed she keeps her own identity while blending her life with my son and cheer her on with that, she is a blessing to him, he loves her so - and a delight to us!!. So glad I have feedback from both our sons from knowing what a strong woman can do to shape them and seeing how they are better men for it (cause I had to be strong while my husband was away but Dad still was THE MAN to them). They tell me this now, and understand now, they are adults and have come to understand the way of life, I HOPE! Life that doesn't change is stagnant and compromised!
glad you liked my comments at the end...that is truly how I feel. I want to wear that on my heart everyday! And thank you so much again!

#208483 - 10/18/10 02:30 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: judym]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Congratulations judy! 37 years is an awesome accomplishment!

#208496 - 10/19/10 12:40 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Marriage is a beautiful thing, if you've got the right partner.

#208505 - 10/19/10 09:03 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: jabber]
judym Offline

yes, even if you have to P family off,and that was just youthful enthusiam- it was right and I thank God every day for that man of mine. when you know you KNOW,his Mom understood and mine did also, but the fathers...that took a lot of getting used to! The right partner is a helpmeet, not just a mate- cause it takes 2 to suss it thru. Every day we have is a gift from God, I like your signature on your posts, J. We've talked before in the past on here, and I really like your posts- and W. and I are still trying to see some of the world- his last post was Okinawa, and boy howdy that was one wonderful place. We still try for the Gulf and the Smokies when he is home, on of the blessings in living in Al.. It takes a lot of work to keep a long marriage, even with these parameters, but it works for us and I know we are so blessed!

#208520 - 10/20/10 06:22 PM Re: blessed beyond my belief [Re: judym]
jabber Offline

Long as you're happy, that's all that matters. Prayers and blessings!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved