The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6190 - 11/24/04 05:57 PM pitching in
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
With the holidays fast approaching, I'm wondering how much help we get from our spouses...

Do you ask for help?

Are you specific about what you want them to do?

Do you assume they won't help...and stew about it?

Who's cooking at your home this Thanksgiving?

Are you splitting the chores?

#6191 - 11/25/04 05:17 AM Re: pitching in
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
My husband surprised me MONDAY by suggesting that we clean house together. Usually he waits until 15 minutes before a holiday starts before he agrees to do anything, and usually that's after a lot of fighting. I think he's still trying to make up for the last holiday he ruined.

We cleaned for an hour Monday, 90 minutes Tuesday and maybe 90 more today. The house is as clean as it's going to get for now. We have an arbitrary division of labor: he vaccuums, cleans the kitchen and washes the downstairs floor; I clean all 3 bathrooms, all mirrors and glass except windows (which no one does [Roll Eyes] ) Dusting is "whoever".

My husband enjoys preparing food so we plan/chop/cook/clean up together.

He's been so helpful I think I have the Stepford clone instead of the real husband. I'm still waiting for the fighting to begin.

#6192 - 11/25/04 06:01 AM Re: pitching in
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Meredith, This Thanksgiving I'm going to be thankful for YOUR husband. Even if he turns into an ogre tomorrow, I'm thankful for all the love he's pouring into today and yesterday and Monday.
You deserve it.
smile

#6193 - 11/26/04 05:55 PM Re: pitching in
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Meredith, did you clean your jewelry making area, or do you keep that spotless?

I LOVE the Christmas jewelry I ordered from you. The combo of crystal beads with the little red ones looks so sweet with the green trees. I can't wait to give them. [Big Grin]

Also, I saw a pair of ear rings (like the pink beaded ones on your home page)at Nordstrom and they were $100.00. [Eek!] I think your were prettier and they were $40.00. I thought you should know that! [Wink]

[ November 26, 2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#6194 - 11/26/04 06:47 PM Re: pitching in
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'd much rather my husband didn't help with the meal preparations and clean up afterward. I'm a bit of a control freak and if it isn't done how I like, I get a bit freaked out.

The best thing my dh can do for me is to stay out of my way. He is very good at that.

After dinner and after the dishes are put in the dishwasher, my hubby goes outside and puts up the Christmas decorations. And there our roles reverse. The best job I can do for him is staying out of his way.

This is what works best for us.

#6195 - 11/26/04 07:52 PM Re: pitching in
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
HI,
I just wanted to share that my husband was very helpful, he peeled and cut apples for the apple pies I was baking and then he cleaned up the kid's toys and vacuumed the family room. So he was very helpful.

Angel [Smile]

#6196 - 11/27/04 01:16 AM Re: pitching in
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dotsie, one of mottoes is "Nordstrom quality at half the price." [Big Grin] My "target customer" for the pricier items is a Nordstrom shopper and they always agree! Almost all of my expensive chandelier earrings ($40-90) have sold out this season, including the front page pair on my website although I can make more. Website BTW is inaccessible again, par for the course with ivillage. These earrings take me 2-3 hours each to make so it's hard to keep up with production.

I dusted my jewelry room a few weeks ago, 3 hours just for that. It's dusted on a "friend or customer coming over" basis. I need a certain amount of ongoing organization in my workspace or I can't find anything. Sometimes, though, I have several projects going at once (like, there are still aventurine trees on the desk... probably until Christmas sales are over.) On the 1-10 scale of Clean & Organized (10 being anal) my room usualy hovers between 6-8.

NO FIGHTS at all yesterday!!! [Cool] Now my husband wants to drag me out for the "one day only" sales for electronics. I hate Friday after Thanksgiving sales, but he's been so "good" I said yes. I'll bring crossword puzzles for the checkout line waits. Gotta go!

#6197 - 11/27/04 01:29 AM Re: pitching in
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Meredith I am so happy that your man has been behaving himself this holiday, maybe he's finally realized what a treasure he has in you. Oh, I boxed Judys jewelry yesterday and am sending it probably on the 8th of Dec. I have to wait for a check first. I am also mailing some Mystery books back to the author to be signed and sent back to me at the same time I mail the jewelry. Hope his good nature lasts through the Christmas holidays as well. My ex will be at my son's for Christmas too. We get along fine and actually I enjoyed having him there on Thanksgiving. Will wonders never cease??? [Wink]

#6198 - 11/27/04 09:12 PM Re: pitching in
Dotsie Offline
Founder

chatty, did you buy some of Meredith's jewelry too?

Meredith, boy has your husband's attitude changed since you started posting in this forum. I'm so happy for you. I hope you made the most of the shopping trip. [Wink]

Chatty, I bet your ex was tickled to be included with your Thanksgiving activities. I'm sure you made his day. A kiss on the cheek, huh?

#6199 - 11/27/04 11:57 PM Re: pitching in
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
No I didn't buy any of Merediths jewelry yet. I am sending some to her to break down and recreate or whatever she wants to do with it. Along the line of her "trading post." Yes, my ex was thrilled and actually I was happy that my son & daughter-in-law invited him. He has many hang-ups but is a caring and thoughtful man for the most part. We all always have alot of fun together. He is invited for Christmas as well. All of his natural family has passed away so he is pretty much alone without us. He is an avid animal lover as I am and thats a very big plus in my book. He called last night just to talk and wants to take me to dinner, says he has something on his mind.... [Confused]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved