The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#126999 - 09/02/07 02:58 PM The second (or more) marriage
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
I been married before (won't tell how MANY times before) and I got to thinking about how much I may have "missed out" on having had the same spouse for over 20 years or so.

When having conversations with friends who have been married to ONE spouse, they really do not know what it's like to have had to adjust to the baggage we all carry.

For instance, kids from previous marriages; meals that a DH can be used to but a new/current wife does not or knows how to make; certain routines like putting dishes IN the sink as opposed to ON the counter (gets me irritated every time!!).

I also know I do not know my spouse as well as those who have known theirs since, say, high school. We are still learning one another. I feel as though you all have a huge jump on your relationship, in a good way.

I also think that when a couple has kids, it gives them a new opportunity to learn about the other. For instance, DH is grandpa. I don't even know how to be a parent, let alone a grandparent.

Would anyone else like to expand on the "second" marriage?

#127000 - 09/02/07 05:01 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: Di]
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
How about the fourth marriage?? There is no way to describe what its like by the time the fourth one rolls around and then ends just like the other three.

By that time its more like going steady and then breaking up. You take the ring off, jump through the legal hoops and you're free to start all over again.

I've become jaded.

#127001 - 09/02/07 06:15 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: NewLeaf]
Di Offline

I never had the "jaded" feeling. One day, I knew my prince charming would be there. And, I prayed for him!

Having once asked DH why he married yet again, he said he "knew" he'd get it right eventually since he has family members who've "gone the long haul".

In a few weeks, we will have been married 11 years...the longest "run" for both of us, so we are excited about this milestone!

Once I was #5 and it lasted just over 4 years. He then went on to marry #6 and #7. Both ended of course. Then his life ended the past January. But I was blessed to see him last September and learned he accepted Christ as Savior!

THAT was a miracle!!

Edited by Di (09/02/07 06:17 PM)

#127002 - 09/02/07 06:29 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: Di]
Edelweiss Offline

Loc: American living in Europe
If I had married all the boyfriends I was serious about, I may have broken the divorce record.

#127003 - 09/04/07 08:15 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: Edelweiss]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
Oh how I know about the baggage thing!!!! (By the way, how does one NOT have baggage at our age??) I was married technically just one week shy of 31 years....and now I have a new husband and we'll bat 3 years next month. This time around, in my opinion, was no different than being 22. We still had to crawl through the first couple of difficult years and all the adjustments it takes. We're starting all over again in our 50's and it's really strange at times. We were both committed to long term marriages when things fell through. We've had to both learn to trust and love again and it's not been easy. I feel like we're just now beginning to settle in and really know each other so much better and we're easier on each other. But in my opinion, I would have loved living my life through with just one man but it wasn't meant to be.

#127004 - 09/04/07 08:16 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: ladyjane]
ladyjane Offline

Oh by the way, I married my first husband twice...does that count for something????

#127005 - 09/05/07 12:14 AM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: ladyjane]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hmmmm...I'm not sure if it counts or not, ladyjane -- your option!

I have to say that sometimes I slip with the names...how embarrassing. My DH (#4) pretends not to notice. But then, he's besotted with me...

He's the best husband I've had and he does things so much better than anyone else that that's not a big adjustment. He was used to living alone, however, and we had to go through the fact that he needed to let me know when he was going to be late. I'm really sensitive to that because I was married to an alcoholic and NEVER knew when, or in what condition he was coming home!

#127006 - 09/05/07 11:58 AM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: Casey]
ladyjane Offline

Oh I couldn't agree more,Casey. My husband did the same thing at first. I was so untrusting and worried so about what he might be doing whenever he was late. Now he calls and lets me know what's happening...and usually shows up with Home Depot stuff or whatever! The slipping with names things has happened to me a couple of times...and it's happened to him. We just laugh it off because it's something that's bound to slip once in awhile. Think of this though --- husband #1 married another Jane! Guess he doesn't have to worry about "slipping!"

#127007 - 09/06/07 01:41 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage [Re: ladyjane]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I appreciate hearing these stories. I've been married to the love of my life for 28 years so I don't have too many stories to share. However, I know a couple who married twice (same person) and then got together and had a child. Still not married for the thrid time, but happily living together and are great parents.

#127008 - 09/06/07 02:17 PM Re: The second (or more) marriage
Di Offline

Quote:

I've been married to the love of my life for 28 years so I don't have too many stories to share.

You are so blessed, Dotsie!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved