The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113524 - 04/03/07 12:31 PM E-books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Are any of you makigng ebooks ona regular basis? If so, are you using any specific software that you might recommend?

#113525 - 04/03/07 11:55 PM Re: E-books
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Dotsie,
I create them in MS Word and then turn them over to my husband to create using Adobe InDesign. I have a "soft" copy of my Customer product that I do that way. Doing more e-books is definitely on my list!

#113526 - 04/04/07 01:11 AM Re: E-books [Re: Casey]
Jane_Carroll Offline

Loc: Alabama
Casey,

How does InDesign differ from making a PDF...what are the benefits...

E-books are on my list as well...

Thanks, Dotsie!

#113527 - 04/04/07 01:19 PM Re: E-books [Re: Jane_Carroll]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
On my list as well. Unfortunately, I am great at the creative side, and then, well, they just sit there. Have to figure out the rest of the equation....

#113528 - 04/04/07 03:36 PM Re: E-books [Re: Anno]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
You're like me Anno...we're IDEA people! I'm the same way. I call it "being a toad."

#113529 - 04/04/07 04:35 PM Re: E-books [Re: jawjaw]
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Jane, a PDF works as well. You can take whatever you do in MS Word (or the MAC equivilant) and create a PDF that you can secure. I take the interim step of having my husband make it look more professional (especially if I have drawings) in InDesign. He's also more detail oriented than I am and can make sure that all the pages look like they would in a "real" book.

I've also heard that creating a professional looking cover increases the perceived value of your book and makes people more likely to buy.

#113530 - 02/16/08 11:51 PM Re: E-books [Re: Casey]
HelenGallagher Offline

Loc: Glenview, Illinois
Ditto Casey's advice. Create it in Word, Publisher, even PowerPoint to get jazzy, and save it as a PDF.
I upload to LuLu, where you set a sales price and keep almost 100% of it when you sell.
Here's a sample I did: http://www.lulu.com/content/2045895
It has a free preview so you can see the variety of page layouts.

Helen

#113531 - 03/08/08 03:14 PM Re: E-books [Re: HelenGallagher]
ElevatingYourBusiness Offline

Loc: USA
I have 9 ebooks and who knows how many reports

A few years ago I created a template that tells me what to put on each page. I just change the info and add the content where it belongs. It's in MS Word and then I turn it into a PDF. There are free programs online that do this, although I paid $15 for the one I use about three years ago. I have a bunch of PDF resources at www.theresourcequeen.com

This is funny. I sell the ebook template. What it is and how to use it is very clear on my site.

I had a women buy it last week and then asked me for a refund. What she epected -- for $15 no less -- was that the template would be automatic! She wanted the template to create her TOC, etc.

Even though I have a no refund policy, I returned her $15. Her note was so crazy and I've learned over the years that with nutty notes, it's not worth sticking to my policy. Because she'll drive me nuts. She had already sent me a few requests for the money (sent overnight).

We help independent and fee-based financial advisors find simpler ways to grow personally and professionally.

http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

#113532 - 03/20/08 01:43 PM Re: E-books [Re: ElevatingYourBusiness]
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Has anyone used Instant Publisher or had any experience with them? I am looking into other avenues for Sweet Violets and that is one option I am considering. How difficult is it to get an ISBN number? I didn't do that with Carousel Kisses but would like to with this next book.

#113533 - 03/21/08 02:17 PM Re: E-books [Re: Louisa]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
Louisa I haven't used Instant Publisher but did get a sample copy of their product and decided not to go with them. You can get books quite cheap but the covers look cloudy. Go to them at www.instantpublisher.com and request their sample(it tells about their company and how it works). That is what I based my judgment on.

As to the ISBN, you can purchase them, but only in blocks of ten at a time. I think there might be a way where you can purchase only one. Go to www.isbn.org and on the right there is a place to apply for an ISBN. when you click it, it tells you how to just purchase one.

Don't forget that you'll also need a barcode for your book. You can purchase it through that site also, I think. If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll help you since I've already been through the process. Good luck.
www.tidedancer.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved