The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#160547 - 09/22/08 07:57 AM Building Free Web sites??
Poppie Offline

Loc: London
Hello Ladies, I am keen to get my own web site up and running soon and one of my Uni peers suggested that I try some one of the many free ones online. I googled and there are indeed plenty, but, how can one be sure of the authenticity of them. H as anyone else any knowledge of good or inexpensive ones to get me started?

Any advice would be realy appreciated.

Poppie
''Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love

#160582 - 09/22/08 05:53 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: Poppie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ladies, I'm bringing this back up because I know some of the women here have built their own sites. Sorry, I'm no help with creating a free one.

#160649 - 09/23/08 02:27 AM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: Dotsie]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Tripod and Freewebs are some of the most widely used. Meredithbead-ivil is a free tripod site and pretty easy, once you understand the limitations to the form. The only drawback to the free sites is all the advertisement that appears on your page. Go to my site to see how it looks.

Poet and essayist

#160677 - 09/23/08 01:38 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: meredithbead]
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I am working on a tripod one since I read this. I am s l o w l y getting around it.

#160789 - 09/24/08 07:18 AM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: chickadee]
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
ask me if you have questions.

Poet and essayist

#160809 - 09/24/08 11:27 AM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: meredithbead]
ladyjane Offline

Loc: Southern Maine, USA
I've used Homestead a few times. I once had my business site there and also have created a site for a local diner using them. No, not completely free but only $6.99 a month...not bad (no ads!)

#160853 - 09/24/08 08:12 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: Poppie]
Revvell Offline

Loc: Southern California
I would suggest deciding exactly what you want before going with a free one. If you need more that what they can offer, you'll eventually have to move to something better.

Do you need a shopping cart? Electronic download distribution center (are you creating products such as ebooks, etc.)? Contact management or automated email newsletter system?

Personally, I've found it's better to have all of these together in one system. Previously I was paying for Payloadz, Constant Contact and every time my storage or bandwidth ran out it cost me more money.

Now, I'm paying $7.95 a month for all the above w/ unlimited storage and bandwidth. Yes, I had to pay for the original set-up but I can mostly update my site myself.
Revvellations, Inc.
Revvell

#160855 - 09/24/08 08:17 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: ladyjane]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
whistle SynthaSite
subdomains are free

#161967 - 10/06/08 10:38 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: gims]
Donna Gunter Offline

Loc: Orange, TX
Hi Poppie--

If you want to get really serious about your online biz, don't go with a free site. What I advise clients to do is create a blogsite, or a blog/website hybrid. By purchasing a hosting account with Wordpress as an option (usually for no more than $10/month) and using one of the many, many Wordpress templates out there, you can have a blogsite pretty quickly.

I wrote an article about this on my blog, http://snipurl.com/44q03-obu. Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch <g>, so usually with free sites you've got to put up with their advertising showing on your site, which is how they make money.

Just a small monthly investment can easily get you a site of your own..:)

#161971 - 10/06/08 11:37 PM Re: Building Free Web sites?? [Re: Donna Gunter]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
Welcome Donna from Orange. How'd ya like Ike?
I just received a video in an email today from a family friend in Port Neches. Here's a link:Video = What Ike left Bay City ... I watch that one, along with others in the side bar... overwhelming!
Makes one think twice about the daily gripes we have.

I live about 60 miles north of Houston... so we are basically neighbors.

My dad pastored a church right off the Twin City Hwy some years ago. It is a venture to be forgotten, for various reasons.

Welcome to our family, BTW. It's a wonderful place to come - even on its slower days.

for me...
Step 1. Get Business
lol... then
Step 2. Set-up Blogsite for business

Edited by gims (10/06/08 11:41 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved