The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#112476 - 03/25/07 03:56 PM Windows Vista?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
We just got a new computer this weekend. Our old one had Windows 98, and the new one has Vista. I'm trying to get used to the differences. Wondering if anyone else has Vista? Like it? Any tips on figuring things out? My husband is worthless when it comes to this......he knows I'll figure it out eventually and be able to show him what to do. Also I'm clueless at transferring our old files (which the guys at the computer store put into this new machine) like my email address book that was on my old computer. Any suggestions out there? Any tips about this Vista that would be useful to me, or any opinions about it?
Thanks!!

#112477 - 03/26/07 09:53 PM Re: Windows Vista? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
SharonE Offline

Loc: Australia/ U.S. websites
Vista blacked out repeatedly on me a couple of days ago. The symptoms were: I could log in with my password, but as it was loading everything went blank... nothing, just a black screen. As I restarted it gave me an option to start in Safe Mode. Not knowing anything about it, I decided to try starting in Safe Mode - must be Safe, right?
From there you have the option to Restore, or Restore from last known good working configuration, or Restore from a specific date when it was working well.
After trying all the others with no success, I chose to Restore from a specific date (about 2 weeks ago)and it all started working again.
I have no idea what caused it. There was no virus detected, so I'm thinking it was a Vista hiccup which I assume will be fixed soon. I believe Vista has a self reporting function back to Microsoft.
I have the Vista Premium version, I guess if you have a different version it may not happen to you. Other than that I have not had any problems.
I found Vista to be mostly similar to XP home. My favorite though is still Windows 98, which I learnt on. Sentimental ol' gal.
For U.S. Baby Boomers: www.babyboomerexpress.com

#112478 - 03/26/07 10:48 PM Re: Windows Vista? [Re: SharonE]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Thanks for the reply. We've only had it for 3 days,no problems so far, other than getting used to it.......we were using Windows 98 til now, so it's a bit different. I'm finding I like some of the changes, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

#112479 - 03/27/07 10:45 PM Re: Windows Vista? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
gims Offline

Loc: USA
I've heard nothing but bad things about Vista, things like they don't have the bugs worked out, yet.

My husband just purchased a computer system, which came with Vista installed, for one of his customers. He took Vista off the machine and installed XP in its place. He dislikes Vista that much.

I have XP, now. I remember when I first got it (to replace 98), I thought there were too many changes, but now I love it.

Good luck with it and let us know how it works out for you in the long run... I'd like to share your input with my husband. (The XP install was an additional expense for his customer.)

Edited by gimster (03/27/07 10:45 PM)

#112480 - 03/28/07 12:29 PM Re: Windows Vista? [Re: gims]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

The only problem we're having so far is we haven't been able to figure out how to access all the data from our old computer, which they transferred to the new computer when we bought it. I can find the old info, but I can't get any of the files to open. Called the computer store yesterday and I'm going to take the new computer down there Friday morning and they're going to show me how to do it, hopefully. It's not bothering me much -- there's nothing in the old data I can't live without -- but my husband needs to access some of those files. Other than that, Vista's working fine so far. I was worried about changing from Windows 98 to Vista -- I'd heard a few (not so good) things about Vista too. But I haven't really tried doing much other than checking email and surfing the net so far -- will have to see how it goes when I have time to get into other stuff.
Definitely like my new printer though!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved