The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#214924 - 10/04/11 09:41 PM Egg whites...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The idea of raw eggs possibly containing salmonella, did not
cross my mind at the time I posted this "egg whites used 2 heal burns" thread. It makes sense that nobody would want to
introduce salmonella into an open wound. I should've check the accuracy of this e-mail before I opened up a discussion regarding this subject. Sorry, ladies!

Anne,
I apologize!

#214928 - 10/05/11 12:58 AM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks for passing this along, Jabber. But I am not sure if it is good solid information. Here is what Snopes has to say about using egg white to treat burns. Sounds to me like it is a very old remedy that may work in a pinch, but ought not to be considered "mainstream."
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214936 - 10/05/11 02:45 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

You didn't do anything wrong, jabber. That story is a good illustration of how information gets passed around.

I can tell you this, though, because I work around firefigthters. They are never trained to apply anything to burns, only to cool them with water and cover with a sterile dressing.

You are absolutely correct: one of the biggest problems with serious burns is the possibility of infection. Applying butter or food is not considered a good idea. But you know, a lot of people still do it. It doesn't help any, and if you have to go to a hospital they have to try and get that stuff off as well as clean the wound. But cooling the burn as rapidly as possible? Absolutely.

#214937 - 10/05/11 05:23 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber,

Your heart was in the right place, wanting to share helping info with the group. We not only appreciate that, it's what the forum is all about.

So no need for apologies, no worries either. All is well!

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214939 - 10/05/11 06:42 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

I taught first aid procedures to childcare workers...and many people did believe in the butter on a burn method.so much of teaching first aid was to respect previously held views but being informative re. up to date procedures.Each course was run using the most up to date issue of Red Cross book ( old editions were discarded.)wording questions for the exam would include the edition number .always important to cool the burn with cold water

#214943 - 10/06/11 02:24 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I'm so thankful you caught this; only want positive, good info
on here. I love these people!!!!

#214958 - 10/06/11 09:33 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I read your posting and passed the information along. Too bad it isn't true it would be such a Godsend for burn victims if it were true. Keep 'em coming never know when one will be true and helpful...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214974 - 10/07/11 08:32 PM Re: Egg whites...? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

That's true!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved