The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#77873 - 09/08/05 05:47 AM review of The Power of Now
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Review of The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle. 1999. ISBN: 1-57731-480-8. Paperback, 235 pages.

The Power of Now has been a #1 New York Times bestseller. An endorsement by Oprah Winfrey helped to increase sales, and over two million copies have been sold. The author, Eckhart Tolle, was born in Germany and educated at the Universities of London and Cambridge. He does not claim to be a member of any specific religion. He uses principles from Christianity and Buddhism, A Coarse in Miracles and The Bible. Tolle’s message of the entire book appears in the title. The book is divided into ten chapters, plus the introduction. Tolle uses a question/answer format to anticipate reader reactions.

From the beginning, Ekhart Tolle assures the readers that “You are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold. That is how important you are!”

In chapter 1, Tolle states that “you are not your mind” and that the greatest obstacle to enlightenment is the mind. He claims that identifying with what’s on our mind creates a barrier due to labels, images, and judgments that cross our consciousness. Tolle tells the reader to remember that “you are one with all this is.” In reference to this oneness, Tolle says that the mental movies complete with inner-voice soundtrack is a “result of all your past history as well as of the collective cultural mind-set you inherited.” Tolle encourages the reader to be in the here and now, to be alert and aware but not thinking, just like in meditation. He states that success with this practice can be measured by the degree of “peace that you feel within.” In order to achieve enlightenment, Tolle tells the reader to “rise above thought.” Simply “say yes to life, and see how life suddenly starts working.”

In chapter 2, Tolle tells the reader how to recognize the ego, which feeds on external things, such as possessions and social status. Tolle ends the chapter by giving the reader a riddle: “Death is a stripping away of all that is not you. The secret to life is to die before you die, and find that there is no death.” The book cover states, “Tolle uses simple language.” The language may be simple, but the concept about the secret to life is complex. In other chapters, the principles are obvious: “The more you are focused on time, past and future, the more you miss the now.” Tolle gives the reader a powerful lesson on time: “Any lesson from the past becomes relevant and is applied now. Any planning as well as working toward achieving a particular goal is done now.” His book is a dichotomy of his beliefs: He tells readers to pause between chapters to mull over the concepts while telling us that our troubles arise because we think too much. He says we analyze too much, then tells us in chapter 4: “Make it a habit to monitor your mental-emotional state through self-observation.” Isn’t that analyzing?

Chapter 8 could cause controversy. Tolle says that “women are closer to enlightenment” than men because “it is easier for a woman to feel and be in her body.” Tolle dares to explore the menstrual cycles as painful due to the collective consciouness of being subjugated and exploited by men. Furthermore, Tolle states:“The number of women who are now approaching the fully conscious state already exceeds that of men.” How is that measured?

Many books are written about the power of the present (versus reflecting on the past and/or planning for the future); about embracing the journey (versus focusing on the destination); and about enjoying the process (versus focusing on the product.) O: The Oprah Magazine endorses that this book can “transform your thinking” bringing the reader “more joy, right now.” The point is made in the title: The Power of Now.

Review completed by Lynn C. Tolson

[ September 08, 2005, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: lynn329 ]

#77874 - 09/08/05 11:36 PM Re: review of The Power of Now
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh boy. Thanks for sharing Lynn. That's all I need is another book to read. Just kidding. So many books, so little time!

Did you write this review? If so, it's very impressive. If not, have you read the book?

#77875 - 09/09/05 02:13 AM Re: review of The Power of Now
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, yes, I wrote the review. I know you don't need another book to read! You have too much to do in the here and now as it is! You can see all my reviews by going to the blog section of my web site. LLL

#77876 - 09/11/05 07:30 AM Re: review of The Power of Now
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, I have a little suggestion for your site. Why don't you make one of your buttons "Book Reveiws by Lynn. I bet more people would be able to access them if you did that. Just a thought.

#77877 - 09/20/05 04:55 PM Re: review of The Power of Now
KathleenGageSpeaker Offline

Loc: Pleasant Hill, OR
The Power of Now is an excellent book. Great review you posted.

Kathleen

#77878 - 09/21/05 09:07 PM Re: review of The Power of Now
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I haven't read the book and can see why it has appeal. There's a lot of "mindless" chatter in our minds. My religion teaches that the mind (not the brain, but the mind) is the intermediary between the body and the soul. Thus, I don't see the mind as the enemy. The problem is what you do with it. If you turn your thoughts toward the world of matter, you end up with mindless chatter. If you turn your thoughts toward the world of the spirit, you can also gain spiritual enlightenment.

#77879 - 09/23/05 12:28 PM Re: review of The Power of Now
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
DJ, that makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for adding your perspective.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved