The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 150 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200723 - 03/10/10 06:34 PM Not renewing AARP m'ship
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
After thinking about this. I called AARP to see if we HAD to be a member in order to still get our great rates at The Hartford for our house and car ins. They said no...so, I'm not renewing.

I will miss the magazine and newspaper. but their cost has gone up so much..used to be $3/year..now it's $15/year!!

Time for a BWS magazine!! grin

Anyone else backing down from AARP?

#200731 - 03/10/10 09:53 PM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Di]
AvalonBlondi Offline

Loc: West Chester ,PA
I found the BWS website after reading about it in the AARP magazine...but I agree Di, the subscription is getting a little too expensive..I just checked and the AARP Magazine does have their own website so maybe we can just read the articles on there. http://www.aarpmagazine.org/ smile

People may not remember exactly what you said or what you did...but they will always remember how you made them feel

#200732 - 03/10/10 09:58 PM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: AvalonBlondi]
Di Offline

yes, I found BWS from the newspaper as well. It's served it's purpose!

I LOVE the Magazine.

#200805 - 03/12/10 12:55 AM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Di]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I too dropped my membership in AARP, which I kept thinking I needed it to stay with Hartford. The AARP magazine is okay but that newsletter is useless, even to thin to wrap garbage in.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#200807 - 03/12/10 01:03 AM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: chatty lady]
Di Offline

Chatty, call AARP first. They told me that some states require you to have membership in order to have The Hartford.

#200814 - 03/12/10 01:48 AM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Di]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
It's true, it's true! You have to be a member to sign on for those insurances, but you don't have to be a member. We're canceling our memberships too. My husband got LTC, but I'm denied due to cancer, so what's the use? You know you are old when both you AND your parents are members of AARP.

#200820 - 03/12/10 02:14 AM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Princess Lenora]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
We don't have quite the same as AARP here in Canada. It's CARP but they are different but they are a lobby group but not with the same financial base as AARP.

Also you have to realize our health care system is different in Canada. Canadians do not look to such an organization to buy top-up services for medical care, dental.

Discounts for "seniors" already exist for bus fare, rail fare here in Canada right across the country. Too bad nothing for airflights.

#200831 - 03/12/10 09:56 PM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Di, I went right to the source and called Hartford so I am okay, thanks!

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#201208 - 03/21/10 04:17 AM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Di,

Interesting that you are not renewing your AARP membership...

They've just sent me my renewal paperwork, and I think my current membership expires next month...

Are there things you'd like to see BWS or NABBW offer you that you currently get through AARP - or CARP for you Canadians...

As the new CEO ("Boomer in Chief") of the NABBW, I am about to launch a survey to find out how we can serve you even better than we have...

So why wait for the survey to come out: Tell me what you are looking for. I AM LISTENING!!

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#201217 - 03/21/10 02:36 PM Re: Not renewing AARP m'ship [Re: Anne Holmes]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I didn't renew, either. I actually did not mind the raise in rates. Like any good organization, they need financial support. But I just didn't find that much value. As a lobby group they are great, but the magazine was just another piece of fluff.

Anne, I can't wait for the survey. You sound really pumped and ready for this new adventure.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved