The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#92769 - 10/21/06 03:21 PM long winter nights
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Okay ladies, as many of you know, I've been in for three weeks. I'm getting bored, but I'm also getting better and will be out and about soon. However, all these nights in, and with the long winter nights coming, I am wondering what I am going to do at night. I don't really like TV and one can only read so much. Ross and I don't want to become these old farts who sit on the sofa night in and night out.

What do you do to keep busy?

When the kids were here, I didn't have a second to sit down. I was wrapped up in so much of what they did. I was on committees, going to games, baking, cooking, entertaining, and always on the run. I'm looking to get involved in something again, but am going to be VERY picky about what it might be.

I'd love to hear what everyone else does during the long winter nights, after dinner and before bedtime.

#92770 - 10/21/06 03:35 PM Re: long winter nights
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I write. You might want to think about writing and submitting. Course, after being on the computer all day, the last thing YOU may want is to sit there again. But you COULD use your laptop and do it from the living room couch, eh?

Also, call people you've been meaning to call. Someone who needs to hear from you.

Writer letters, send cards.

Clean out closets, rooms, attics, basements.

Learn something. A language, a craft. Learn to knit, crochet, or paint, draw...

Annoy Ross.

JJ

#92771 - 10/21/06 03:54 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: jawjaw]
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
What JJ said. And I LOVE the "annoy Ross" part. Sometimes I get so tired of my hubby just sitting there watching TV that I go over and attack him. I'll kiss his neck or tickle him or tip his chair back so he almost falls over, etc. Sounds like an exciting night, huh? That's life in the Walsh household.

Plus, I love to read on the couch all snuggled under a blanket while my hubby is watching ANOTHER sports program.

This would be a good time to put all those photos into albums, too, Dotsie.

#92772 - 10/21/06 06:12 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: Dancing Dolphin]
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Dotsie, as you know I never had children, but I can still understand that you have the ENS (empty nest syndrome.) Once you get recuperated from your surgery, you may not know what to do with yourself! You have had a lot of adjustments this fall. I don't have any suggestions since my biggest time waster is TV. I watch way too much TV in the evening. But it is also when I am most likely to visit BWS.

#92773 - 10/21/06 06:38 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: Princess Lenora]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
JawJaw had a great list which included a lot of what I enjoy doing.

One additional thing I would like to recommend is making powerpoint presentations. I enjoy putting together slide show of photos as gifts. I did one for my son Chris' graduation which included tons of photos of Chris with various members of our family from day one of his life through graduation. Then I added music and made copies for all of his aunts and uncles and grandparents and friends... Everyone was touched.

I have done a Christmas one and given it as a Christmas gift. I also did one for our parish that was quite touching. It was about 3-4 minutes and was a slide show introducing the importance of contributing to a "Family-to-Family" project we were doing to help the less fortunate members of our community. My son and I went into each sunday school classroom one sunday morning and showed it to each class and then followed it with a little discussion. The kids were great - they were quite taken with the photos of those less fortunate and it brought it closer to them to see that they were luckier than many. The music we chose for that one was "Did you ever know that you're my hero" and it was a perfect choice. We had really good participation in the project.

I find it very energizing to use creativity in making the project and selecting the photos. It also is a family production as my son enjoyed adding to it. Plus - it's such a great gift idea as it comes from the heart!

#92774 - 10/21/06 07:28 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: 49erDonna]
Lola Offline

Loc: London UK
Hi, Dotsie: I work so there are'nt too many nights free to do much more except on the weekends. Winter time is when theatre is good so Saturday evenings are mostly spent catching up on the shows that are on in town for the season. And, Saturday nightouts always mean coming home half past midnight. When not out and about, there are always dolls to finish in time for Christmas.

#92775 - 10/21/06 07:42 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: Lola]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I paint and play piano. I have a few nights that I like to watch tv. I also take a yoga class two nights a week, just to make sure I get out of the house once in a while.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#92776 - 10/21/06 09:36 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: Anno]
Pam R. Offline

I work all day and am tired by the evening. I exercise after work, 3 or 4 nights each week (which I hate but must do!), read, do my bills, log onto BWS and then watch a couple of my favorite TV shows. Before you know it, it's time for bed.

49erDonna, I am scheduled to take a 6 hour crash course in Powerpoint on Nov. 11th. Sounds like I might enjoy it after your description! Hope I learn lots.

#92777 - 10/21/06 09:53 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: Pam R.]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
Pam, glad to hear you're taking a Powerpoint class - I'm sure you'll learn alot. I know it was meant to be a business charts type of program but you will be amazed how much fun it is to use.

My son and I did one for our Pastor's farewell lunch which had just about everyone in the room (200+) in tears. We showed it on a big screen. Lots of tears!!

Please let me know if you need any help after your class. I'd be more than happy to help!

Donna

#92778 - 10/21/06 10:55 PM Re: long winter nights [Re: 49erDonna]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hubby and I are often so disconnected throughout the day, each going in different and haphazard directions, that the evening is the one sure time of the day that we know we can spend time together. We do sit on our big comfy couch and watch TV, but there's lots of snuggling and chatting going on during the commercials.

When there's nothing on TV, we play dominoes or card games together. Now that I'm spending 3-4 days (and nights) at my brother's apartment, we're very careful not to schedule anything else in on the nights when we ARE together at home, even if it's just watching TV. It's being together that we both cherish.

(Maya Angelou)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved