The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219526 - 10/02/13 02:20 AM Your reaction: independent mobility & feminism
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I wrote this recent blog post which tied feminism to include also freedom of independent mobility for any woman. Of course, it does touch on cycling and the North American women's suffragette movement in the late 1800's and early 1900's.

But looking elsewhere worldwide, not all women feel as free as we do, to even travel around in one's own area, city.

I did receive quite a reaction...would be interested in thoughts from regular boomers here! And the reaction I am mentioning is not obvious on the blog post's comments. Both supportive while others negative. (I guess "feminism" word pushes some people's hot buttons.)

Edited by orchid (10/02/13 03:10 AM)

#219528 - 10/02/13 03:59 AM Re: Your reaction: independent mobility & feminism [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Interesting facts you pulled together in your article, Orchid. I had not ever equated bicycle riding/independent mobility with feminism, but you make a good case.

A couple of years ago I read a book about an American woman who traveled to Saudi Arabia with her husband, who was stationed there by his employer. She experienced quite a culture shock, and was especially troubled when she learned how few of the rights she'd always taken for granted were available to her. They even had to live in a special compound for foreigners. And her mobility WAS certainly restricted.

Thanks for sharing. I hope to hear others' comments here too.

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219548 - 10/06/13 06:06 PM Re: Your reaction: independent mobility & feminism [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

It was the wearing of split skirts and wearing of trousers to ride bicycles which caused outcry in Victorian Britain..Women at that time were very brave to attempt the daring feat of cycling...We have to remember the Victorians even hid the legs of their furniture....to show an ankle was considered a no no.

Once women came forward to drive trams and omnibus during both World wars the choice to ride a bike was more free..Cycling clubs where mixed se xes spent time broke down other barriers became popular in the UK..

What a long way women have come ...

Edited by Anne Holmes (10/06/13 06:10 PM)
Edit Reason: toeliminate censored word

#219557 - 10/10/13 12:42 PM Re: Your reaction: independent mobility & feminism [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Yes we have come a long way. I wrote the piece to highlight other areas of the world also where in the 21st century there are still wheels of change to occur ..faster.

Anne: I would not want to live in a compound for long.

Edited by orchid (10/10/13 12:43 PM)

#219804 - 01/02/14 05:34 PM Re: Your reaction: independent mobility & feminism [Re: orchid]
dwsun Offline

Loc: California, USA
It is nice to realize the progress made. I, too, take for granted what we are able to do.
Lighthouse Travel & Tours
http://lighthousetravelandtours.com/contact.html

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved