The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 114 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#154741 - 07/27/08 05:21 PM Yellow cabs and rain barrels...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Sunday's Science Page had 2 interesting articles.
1) New York City's Mayor Bloomberg is making the city replace its entire fleet of Yellow Cabs with new hybrids.
Current Ford Crown Victorias get 14 miles per gallon; hybrids get 36 miles per gallon. IMO every major city should follow the Bloomberg example. 2) Riverkeepers are rolling out rain barrels in which to temporarily store rainstorm water to be released later during drier periods. That reduces unwanted overloads to sewers, creeks, rivers, and lakes. Then collected water can be distributed to lawns, trees and garden during drier periods. Both nature watch stories sound like smart moves!
What say you????

#154742 - 07/27/08 05:35 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: jabber]
savvygrandmother Offline

Loc: texas
Sounds like a good plan to me. I've thought about adding a cistern to my house. Not only is it environmentally friendly, but nothing is better than watering gardens and washing hair and clothes with rain water. We used to do it when I was a kid. Maybe getting back to the old ways is not a bad idea! I'm for it!

"Grandmothers are a new kind of breed. I know I am one. Baby boomers are changing the face of grandparenting for the 21st century." www.martynorman.com, http://savvygrandmothers.blogspot.com

#154743 - 07/28/08 03:20 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: savvygrandmother]
jabber Offline

savvy,
The ole farmhouse I grew up in had a cistern. City fathers
are trying to keep the waste water plants from overflowing
and emptying into surrounding waterways. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best!

#154744 - 08/01/08 04:07 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Has anyone noticed hybrid taxis in your city or town? The mayor of our nearest city is limiting government employees from using city owned vehicles 4 personal use. Of course, workers are objecting but tough!

#154745 - 08/02/08 01:31 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

If gov't spending were curbed, it'd save tax money and energy resources. Since when do elected officials need
their own jets, parking lot 2 office shuttles or trains,
a convoy of protection, thousand dollar a plate luncheons, etc., etc. "Elect me; I'll cut spending!" Sure you will!!!

#154746 - 08/02/08 09:02 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: jabber]
FitlySpoken Offline

Loc: US
"Yellow cabs and rain barrels" I just love that line!
www.freewebs.com/awordfitlyspoken

#154747 - 08/03/08 08:18 PM Re: Yellow cabs and rain barrels... [Re: savvygrandmother]
judym Offline

Loc: AL
oh shoot, me too- rainwater and vinegar to make these brunette tresses shine. I learned so much from my Nanny-her lessons were so strong and true!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved