The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#206913 - 08/17/10 07:13 PM the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue
Josie Offline

Loc: NJ
I think we all have heard about this deal by now. My own feeling is that while the idea is legal, constitutional, etc.....I feel the idea is insensitive at this point in time.

I understand the Japanese still have not built a temple near the "Arizona" in Pearl Harbor.

Though a significant number of Catholics were killed during the Jewish Holocaust, Pope John Paul II prevented a group of nuns from opening a convent near the Auschwitz concentration camp, out of respect to those who had been murdered in that awful place.

I do not see this as a matter of religious tolerance, since there is already a Mosque within a couple blocks of Ground Zero. I think it just simply comes down to sensitivity and respect.

#206915 - 08/17/10 07:18 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Josie]
Edelweiss2 Offline

Loc: American living in Germany
I agree Josie. And I'm surprised that Obama isn't more sensitive to this subject too. At least his counselors should have advised him differently.

#206917 - 08/17/10 07:22 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Josie]
Josie Offline

PS: I put this topic on THIS board because, sadly, we are living in an age of heightened political correctness. I truly feel this particlar topic belongs in Current Events, since it is now part of an ongoing national and even global conversation taking place via every level of communication venue.

I think it is important for us boomers here to add our two cents too. Very politely of course.

#206921 - 08/17/10 07:46 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Edelweiss2]
Josie Offline

Originally Posted By: Edelweiss2
I agree Josie. And I'm surprised that Obama isn't more sensitive to this subject too. At least his counselors should have advised him differently.

I, too, was taken aback by Obama's original comments to his Muslim audience Friday night, as compared to his "clarification" in Florida one day later. It seems in each case, his comments were geared to fit each group he was talking to.

Obama had an opportunity to bring all Americans together by expressing to his Friday night Muslim audience that while he understood the NYC Islamic Center proposal being made, he also would commend them for their wisdom in selecting a location more respectful to the many Americans and survivors of the 911 atrocity.

My son was in the military, and he helped to recover body parts for identification right after 911 happened. We do not live too far from there, and my son also lost a former schoolmate in one of the towers.

I'd like to see the 911 Memorial finished, and lots of years go by... Right now it's still so very painful to even think about.

#206940 - 08/17/10 11:03 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Josie]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Heres something I find odd. When those planes hit and the Twin Towers were destroyed, there was a beautiful Greek Orthodox church also destroyed. It had been there nearly 50 years. After everything died down the church wanted to rebuild yet permits were refused, not once but again and again. Still to this day permits have been denied. WHY??? These are Americans who have had their church destroyed by terrorists; so whats the problem, they have the money they need and were on that properety first anyway???

Are any of you aware that the man who wants to build the MOSCUE is now being employed by OUR Government and going to be paid by US and is being sent around the world all expenses paid (BY US) to speak on our behalf, WHAT???? Are O'Bama and his hencemen nuts? This man hates us and is the head of the insulting of our dead and us by wanting to build this monstrosity on the bones/ashes of our dead...

Talk about inviting the FOX into the henhouse. O'Bama is a jackass as far as most are concerned who seems to hate ALL Americans and feels the need to slink around apologizing for our wealth and abilitys!! He has insulted and demeaned more than once the highest revered office in our land, the office of the President of these United States.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#206953 - 08/18/10 10:58 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: chatty lady]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi all,

OK, I believe we are getting way out of hand with regard to the "polite political PONDERINGS" point of view when we call our president names and throw around allegations for which we are not providing any substantiation.

I don't know anything about the man who wants to build the mosque, but I find what's being alleged hard to believe. It sounds to me like half-truths designed to inflame us all.

Especially since I don't see anything factual to back up the allegations being made.

I suspect that Josie is right in suggesting that building a mosque near ground zero is insensitive.

Beyond that, as I have received private complaints from other members of our group, I suggest that we are not being sensitive to all points of view, as well.

Let's go back to politely pondering, ladies, or else I will have to close this discussion.

Thank you!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206958 - 08/19/10 01:21 AM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

All the women here who need or want proof need do is read the papers, not just one either, and watch the news, listen closely to those talking for and those against; then maybe you'll have the facts. I find it sad that people just gripe about what's said without bothering to read or listen to those who are paid to know. It's all out there, all one need do is pay attention and stop grumbling to Ann like cry babies trying to muffle those who take this situation in our country very seriously...I for one can show proof to anyone wanting to see it for anything stated here by email but know there is a lot of stuff to send. Or simply turn on the TV set it's all over the nightly news with pictures and everything to make it easier...

You needn't close this politically polite section again!!! I will just pass it by and talk on other sites with those having an intelligent understanding of the facts, and respecting that in others...

#206959 - 08/19/10 02:18 AM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: chatty lady]
Boomer in Chief

Wow! This is clearly a topic that is concerning to a lot of us, and I must say that I am all for a good political discussion now and then.

I love to see ideas being exchanged and people sharing their thoughts.

But at the same time, I don't want this forum to be a place where people feel they're not being heard or respected.

For those of you who are looking for quick access to some facts about the mosque, I offer the following link from Yahoo News:

US Mosque Fact Check
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#206978 - 08/20/10 01:30 AM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

Here's more on the mosque from a reliable source, the Washington Post. I like their comments and wanted to share:

The national debate over the center near Ground Zero bears little resemblance to the reality on the ground in New York, where the local political establishment, from opponent Rep. Peter King (R) to supporter Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D), all agree that it would be better if the national, non-New York critics knew what was happening, both politically and spatially.

For more information, visit washingtonpost.com:
The Washington Post
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#207387 - 09/03/10 10:08 PM Re: the "Mosque near Ground Zero" issue [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

If they do build the Mosque on the same sight as the Twin Towers, someone will low it up if they gdet bthe chance, then let the Muslims see how it feels. This is all so unnecessary and if Blumbewrg didn't have so much moneyt tied up in foreign oil he'd have stopped it, but he doesn't want to anger his Muslim buddies. FOLLOW THE MONEY!!!!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved