The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 110 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216709 - 03/22/12 11:32 AM Candidates in Blue Jeans?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm noticing more and more the Presidential candidates are traveling the country and giving speeches wearing their blue jeans and a shirt with sleeves rolled up. In the past few days I've especially noticed Mitt Romney dressed this way, and I find it jarring, manipulative and a little offensive. They do it to increase their credibility, by trying to pass for the Average Joe. Who goes to work in an office wearing jeans? Can you imagine a woman candidate wearing jeans? She'd most likely be branded a slut, or worse -- and definitely not taken seriously.

#216711 - 03/22/12 04:56 PM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: DJ]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi DJ,

Well it is certainly not the "look" of a Washington insider, but living as I do here in the middle of the cornbelt, I can tell you that politicians have been showing up wearing jeans at "meet and greets" in our neck of the woods for at least 20 years now.

We even see our own senators and congressmen, people like Iowa Senators Tom Harkin and Chuck Grassley or Illinois's Durbin sporting jeans and work shirts while meeting with constituents "in the fields" - or at least at local cafes and etc. (In truth, though some of these men do own farms.)

So when we see them in these places while NOT wearing three piece suits, my impression has been that they want to project an image of being "of the people" and they think the suits are off-putting. (Or else, they don't want to risk damaging their clothing by wearing stuff that doesn't fit the venue.)

Anyway, sometimes when the jeans are so new they show no signs of ever being washed, it does feel a bit like pandering, to me.

But all you have to do is Google "Obama in jeans" and you will see that a lot of ink has been spent on this topic. The press doesn't seem to like to see President Obama in what they call "mom jeans," but they say Michelle has been seen sporting some highly acceptable skinny fashion jeans.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216729 - 03/24/12 09:40 PM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
All ages are wearing jeans. Folks in their 80s are wearing jeans.
It's the in thing!

#216734 - 03/25/12 08:56 PM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: jabber]
Sandy N. Offline

Loc: Washington State
When Levi Strauss started manufacturing bluejeans back in the 1870s, I'm sure he never dreamed his product would be the subject of controversy involving presidential candidates! I wonder what he'd think?

#216740 - 03/26/12 12:56 AM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: Sandy N.]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I don't see anything wrong with Presidential candidates wearing jeans if they are addressing a large diverse audience.

However different if s/he is addressing at a dinner, with business community or with other political leaders at an international formal situation.

DJ: I still think it's possible for a female candidate provided she wears a business jacket and tailored shirt.

Edited by orchid (03/26/12 12:57 AM)

#216748 - 03/26/12 03:39 PM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: orchid]
Ellemm Offline

Candidates do what they gotta do. For Romney, who is often seen as too stiff and robotic, wearing jeans is probably his way of trying to be seen as more of a regular guy. I don't think women have that leeway, at least not yet: women are judged far more harshly on physical appearance, plus they still need to work harder to convey authority. Men, especially tall men, don't need to do that.

Even shorter men have a harder time being seen as leaders, so most women are at a disadvantage right off the bat. I think women have to be veerrryy careful about how they mix it up. Get too casual and you're not serious; stay all buttoned up and you're too stiff. Wear your heels too high and you're trying to be sexy, etc.

Plus, I think a lot of the men get away with intemperate language more than women would -- again, mostly because women are such a minority as political figures. Just yesterday Santorum yelled, "bulls...t" at a reporter; I can't imagine a female candidate getting away with that. In addition, they can whine or complain or get testy all they want; if a woman does it she's emotional.

#216749 - 03/26/12 03:52 PM Re: Candidates in Blue Jeans? [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Ellemm I couldn't agree with you more. Great assessments!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved