The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195184 - 12/05/09 03:48 PM Mothers
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
Mountain sent me a pm and asked a provocative question. I thought I would share the question, and some of my answer here, in hopes that some of you would also wish to share your Mother's story.

What is the story of the girl/woman that was (or is) your Mother?

My mother was very intelligent. She had a well rounded type of intelligence - social, math, the written word and music.

Her biggest fault was comparing herself to someone else. All of my life I remember her looking at her talents and not believing that she was damned great.

She was a stay at home mom, until all of us kids were in junior high school. Then she went to college and got her teaching license. She loved teaching, and made many friends through out her teaching years. She loved school, as I do, and loved learning.

She read every day, and read for hours at a time. She was mostly into fiction and mystery, but would read any book that was placed in front of her.

These last few months, I got to spend more time with my mother, and I realized how friendly and happy she was in life. We lived far enough apart, that I only saw her for short periods of time, and only with family. While she lived in her assisted living place, I was able to see her away from family. She was truly a fun, happy and easy going woman. She was truly loved by those that were able to spend time with her.

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#195186 - 12/05/09 03:51 PM Re: Mothers [Re: Anno]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thank you Ann

#195240 - 12/06/09 05:28 PM Re: Mothers [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Anyone else?

I can completely understand, Anne. I have similar circumstances - my father died 3 days before my mothers birthday and she died 3 days after his.

#195250 - 12/06/09 09:26 PM Re: Mothers [Re: Anno]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was taught that if you have nothing good to say, be quiet, so I'll just be silent on this question.

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#195254 - 12/06/09 09:55 PM Re: Mothers [Re: Dianne]
Anno Offline

I know that I am one of the luckier daughters in this world....

#195283 - 12/07/09 12:05 PM Re: Mothers [Re: Anno]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My mother was a stay at home mom whose best days were when she was raising all of us. Family always came first. In fact, I believe she lost out on some things in life because she was so committed to us, but I remember that so many other women were the same during that time in history.

She was very personable, funny, current, and had tremendous morals, and sense of right from wrong.

#195298 - 12/07/09 01:31 PM Re: Mothers [Re: Dotsie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
My mom is the nicest person I know. Growing up, she never put us down or talked to us in condescending ways. She always told us how important we were and how proud she was of us AND that we could do anything we wanted to do. She put all five of us girls first in her life in everything she did.

She started each day by slinging open the front door and announcing loudly, "MORNING WORLD!" And she did so with force and conviction. She is a happy woman, never stopping, never giving in to illness. Cancer could not stop her. She said, "If I'm going to wear a wig, I'm going to have a snappy wig, one that makes a statement. And now I can finally wear hats! Am I lucky or what?"

That....is my mother.

She taught us the difference between right and wrong, what prejudice was and how to love EVERYONE, how to lift others when they needed lifting, and how to walk away from ones who would have us believe we were small.

She calls me every once in a while just to say, "Georgia, have I told you how proud I am of you lately? If not, I'm telling you now. I love you!"

Did she give up anything raising five girls and being married to the love of her life for 57 years?

I can't answer that....but my guess is if you asked mom she would laugh and say, "You're kidding, right? I've had the time of my life."

#195321 - 12/07/09 03:41 PM Re: Mothers [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
JJ, my mother always built us up too. What a blessing that was. It's something I didn't recognize until I got a little bit older (away from home) and learned that not every mother was so good at heart.

Mom also embraced wearing hats when she had cancer, and shw looked adorable in them.

Mom cared and took interest in all of our lives, but I never felt like she went overboard. She had great boundaries with regards to her adult married children.

#195367 - 12/07/09 11:48 PM Re: Mothers [Re: ]
Anno Offline

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I was thinking about people who loose their parents when they are young; how differently I might have seen my mother if she had died when I was in my 20's or 3o's?

#195368 - 12/08/09 12:11 AM Re: Mothers [Re: Anno]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Originally Posted By: Anno
Thank you all for sharing your stories. I was thinking about people who loose their parents when they are young; how differently I might have seen my mother if she had died when I was in my 20's or 3o's?

It's so true Anne. My friends are amazed at how much I remember about Mom. I was 18; she was 9 days short of her 44th b'day...34+ years ago. Every comment, her walk, her words, her habits, her gestures...everything is so vivid in my heart. Not ONE day goes by that I do not say "I remember my Mother....".

Don't ever think an 18 yr (and below) does not pay attention. Those formative, bonding years are imprinted in us forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved