The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#215336 - 11/08/11 06:46 AM Recovery after caregiving for parent
tootie88 Offline

Has anyone found it difficult to regain prior patterns and momentum after extended care for a loved one? My father moved to my home in 2003 after signs of and then being diagnosed with dementia. I became his 24/7 caregiver for almost 6 years, until he passed away in 2009. It has now been two years and I still have trouble sleeping, concentrating and getting my previous energy level back. Anyone have suggestions (other than meds)?

Thanks so much!

#215352 - 11/08/11 09:41 PM Re: Recovery after caregiving for parent [Re: tootie88]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Tootie,

I don't have any personal caregiving experience, although I do talk weekly with my mother, who is coping with handling her husband's dementia. (So far, he can still live at home and he's still at the point where he tries to cover for his mental lapses.)

And I also talk with my daughter, who keeps me up to date on the situation with my former mother-in-law. The other day, she told me that "Marie" has three questions she is always asking, and about a 10 second attention span. She'll ask a question, await your response, and once you give it, she immediately asks it again...in an infinite loop!

My daughter isn't a caregiver for her grandmother, but she stays in touch with her cousins, who live in the same town, and are tasked with this thankless job.

(Grandma B. refuses to move out of her home, so she lives there alone and the (very adult) grandkids come in weekly to do their assigned tasks: take her to appointments, clean her house, bring in food for her, pay her bills, etc.)

Yours is such an important question, especially since dementia is poised to become the defining disease of the Baby Boomer generation.

You probably know the statistics, an estimated 5.4 million Americans have Alzheimer's or similar dementias and is the sixth leading killer at this point. As we Boomers age, these numbers are only going to get higher.

There's some help available online, at places like the National Institute on Aging

At this point, with your father gone, it seems to me that you can best help yourself by taking small steps: Make sure you are eating a healthy diet that provides energy - even if this means signing up for one of those diet plans that delivers food to your door.

Make sure you get out of the house once a day - even if all you do is walk around the block. The exercise will be good for building your concentration and focus.

Find someone to talk to. Maybe a neighbor who can accompany you on the walks. Having a walking partner will help reinforce the habit of getting out of the house and getting some fresh air and exercise.

Try to follow good sleep hygiene -- sleep an a darkened room that's set to a comfortable temperature and with as few distractions in it as possible. Get yourself to bed at the same time each night, etc. Don't consume anything with caffeine in at after Noon. Try not to take any sleep meds. Even if you don't sleep at first, developing all of these habits will help encourage your sleep.

Beyond this, read some of the blogs that are written for caretakers. They always have other good ideas to help you cope and get yourself back to your former healthy self.

But, Tootie, I don't have all the answers. As I said, I don't have personal experience with this. But others here do, and I am sure they will reply as well.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215369 - 11/09/11 09:18 AM Re: Recovery after caregiving for parent [Re: Anne Holmes]
tootie88 Offline

Hi Anne,

Thanks so much for your sound suggestions. I have been actively using most of them, but with no success. You are so right about the dementia stats and the need to learn more about this disease. I believe that most people who face becoming caregivers of a dementia patient have little to no idea what they will be dealing with. I am going to refer the link you provided to everyone I know.

My heart goes out to your mother. I know what she is going through, and it is so difficult.

And tell your daughter that I can totally relate to that infinite loop!!!

Thanks again, Anne.

#215493 - 11/18/11 04:40 AM Re: Recovery after caregiving for parent [Re: tootie88]
Charlotte Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hi,
I think discussing it with others as you are doing now is a great start to get back to your prior lifestyle. You may want to seek out support groups as well. There are many around if you just research a little. Time heals. Good Luck!

#215508 - 11/18/11 06:44 PM Re: Recovery after caregiving for parent [Re: Charlotte]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Welcome to the site Charlotte. I love your name.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved