The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 70 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12921 - 01/28/05 11:47 PM Teenager on a mission!
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I am soooo excited - and I JUST HAVE TO SHARE!

My sixteen year old daughter is off with a photographer today for an all day shooting.

It's amazing how God works!

Bre (my daughter and I) were working a craft show last november and she came back from looking around excited about a photographer. She wanted $$ to buy a print.

So, I gave her $$ and she came back to tell me the lady is willing to mentor her. I expected the lady to have a "bolt" in her forehead - my daughter is "edgy" and just gravitates towards "edgy" people.

So, I went over to meet the lady...and low and behold...she is a HOMESCHOOLING MOM, and a christian. (I homeschool my children also!)

Bre is searching spiritually, emotionally, the whole ball of wax. It is such a relief to me that she found someone with a big heart - and the same beliefs we have. The lady is not a "typical christian" -- she won't beat Bre over the head with her faith -- that's important too!

I had been praying for someone to mentor her. Somone emotionally mature - who would listen to her and give her GOOOD sound advice.

I can't wait to see the pics she takes. They are up in Rocky Mountain National Park -- which is just beautiful!

Tks for letting me gush!

Danita

#12922 - 01/29/05 04:12 AM Re: Teenager on a mission!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Thanks for sharing your excitement with us, Danita.
To be 16 and have a mentor will be good for Bre. She's a smart young lady.
Please share her photos with us when she returns from RMNP.
Bolt in her forehead, ha ha thats funny.

chickadee

#12923 - 01/29/05 04:50 AM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Danita Offline

Chickadee -

Where are you in oklahoma? We have family in Ponca city!

D.

P.S.. I will gladly post some pics! Can't wait till she gets home to tell me about her day!

#12924 - 01/30/05 08:04 AM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Danita, there's nothing more heartwarming than another adult taking an interest in our youth, especially when it's our child.

I look forward to hearing about the photos.

#12925 - 01/30/05 07:26 PM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Danita Offline

Dotsie,

You are soooo right!

I think that one of those gifts we can give other people - is loving and investing in their children!

I know I've taken a teen or two under my wing for a season -- so I believe the blessings are being returned to me!

When are taking her film in this wk - will attempt to post pics somewhere!

D.

#12926 - 01/30/05 09:17 PM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I think this is so beautiful. It takes women like this one you've mentioned, to help heal our world and pull us all together.

The only mission my kids were on at 16 years of age was to drive me insane!

#12927 - 01/30/05 10:27 PM Re: Teenager on a mission!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Mission Impossible or Mission Accomplished? [Wink]

I'm sure I drove my poor Mom crazy when I was 16!

chickadee

#12928 - 02/01/05 12:45 AM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Danita Offline

My mother-in-law told me when we started going through the insanity with my daughter...

She said, "when they are little they step on your toes, when they are older they step on your heart".

This so summed it all up for me. I don't think anything can prepare you to have your children step on your heart--after years of pouring yourself into them!

I have to tell you though - the most thereputic (sp) thing for me is hearing from women who have gotten through to the other side of the insanity. To have healthy, successfull adult children. To have hope. TO know this is just a passing season.

ugghhh.. And then this lady comes into our life to mentor my daughter. It is such a Godsend!
(her website is reflectedglory.com (I think))

I'm counting the days until my nest is empty (sorry empty nesters - this is just where I'M at).

I'm looking forward to chosing the rollar coaster rides that I WANT TO TAKE, not the ones that my teens are taking me on.

I love my kids dearly, these are just hard scary times!

D.

#12929 - 02/01/05 07:57 PM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Danita:

I have to tell you though - the most thereputic (sp) thing for me is hearing from women who have gotten through to the other side of the insanity. To have healthy, successfull adult children. To have hope. TO know this is just a passing season.

I love my kids dearly, these are just hard scary times!

D.

Boy can I relate. I have a 16, 17, and 19 year old. I remember reading an article by a woman columnist who shared all the teen issues they had dealt with in her family between her children and their friends. I judgmentally thought...good Lord, who do her kids hang out with?

Here I am a few years later and I could write the same list. It's simply life with teens.

Oh well, you can't go under it, you can't go over it, you can't go around it...you gotta go through it!

It's all a part of growing up. I appreciate my parents more now, than ever. They had FIVE children.

Danita, I'm grateful it's just a season too. I've seen nieces and nephews get to the other side and I marvel at their maturity and the good choices they are making NOW!

#12930 - 02/01/05 09:12 PM Re: Teenager on a mission!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My children are all grown now. I was never an empty nester, depressed mom. It was a whole new world for me. Silence, no running to take them to their things, no listening to their music, not being forced to watch those dumb shows they love on tv, not having to cook big meals.

It's a new stage of life. It's natural. But, the best part is...my children are now my friends. We talk all the time and I can laugh when my son calls me about the problems he's having with his teen age daughter and remind him of what he did (not serious stuff, funny stuff) and we are all close. I love it!

I think the most important thing to keep when you're dealing with teens is "keep your sense of humor." It really does help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved