Lenten Season

Posted by: Lola

Lenten Season - 02/17/10 08:29 PM

Just a little over two months ago, we celebrated Christmas and so soon thereafter is Ash Wednesday, marking the beginning of the Lenten Season from today.

I went for my ashes at noon today. There were two priests at Mass with the younger one quite liberal with marking the forehead with the sign of the cross. It happened to be the case that I had to take my place in the queue before him and ended up with a dominant 2" x 2" mark, as did those who were in the same queue with me. Father's ashes were also quite wet, which kept the ashes stuck on my forehead for the rest of the day. I had to control the urge and mischief to cry Repent! everytime I caught a reflection of myself today.

There is a prayer called the Litany of Humility which my Mom taught me in preparation for Lent in order to understand and continue to develop one's intuitive spiritual relation to the significance of the season and the Divine, which I would now like to share with you.

"O JESUS! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

Deliver me
From the desire of being esteemed
From the desire of being loved
From the desire of being extolled
From the desire of being honoured
From the desire of being praised
From the desire of being preferred
From the desire of being consulted
From the desire of being approved
From the fear of being humiliated
From the fear of being despised
From the fear of being rebuked
From the fear of being calumniated
From the fear of being forgotten
From the fear of being ridiculed
From the fear of being wronged
From the fear of being suspected.

Jesus, grant me the grace to desire
That others may be loved more than I
That others may be esteemed more than I
That, in the opinion of the world
others may increase and I may decrease
That others may be chosen and I set aside
That others may be praised and I unnoticed
That others may be preferred to me in everything
That others may become holier than I, provided
that I may become as holy as I should."

Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Lenten Season - 02/17/10 08:47 PM

Lola, thank you for sharing this. You have brought me back to my religious roots for a moment. I do have to look up the word "calumniated." Thank you.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Lenten Season - 02/18/10 11:19 PM

Lola, is there an appropriate greeting or saying for Lent? -- because "Have a happy Lent" doesn't sound right.

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 01:16 AM

A Peaceful and Blessed Lent is an appropriate greeting, Meredith. "Happy" is also appropriate even when the season calls for atonement, abstinence, and reflections on the Passion at Triduum. Lent, whilst it is visibly sorrowful in practice and tradition, is also a happy event because we anticipate Easter and the renewal significance thereof. Laetare Sunday (Fourth Sunday of Lent), is a break in the middle of the austerity of the Lenten season, which serves as a reminder that reflections need not be all forlorn but, hopeful.

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 02:21 AM

You're welcome, Lynn.

When I was little (pre-school), I used to be terrified when my parents took me to Church for ashes because of "...unto dust thou shall return". I used to associate Lent with the number 40 instead. It was easier to think that God must love the number so much because Lent shared the number of days with Noah and Moses.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 01:06 PM

Lola, I just printed this and am going to hang it on my bathroom mirror. Thanks for sharing. It's lovely.

In the Catholic tradition, we always gave something up/sacrificed for Lent. Do you still do that?

I am taking something up. I'm sending an encouraging, snail mail note a day to either family or friend, or shut-in, etc.

What is anyone else doing?

Any other suggestions?

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 01:06 PM

PS - I miss Eagle!

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 06:12 PM

So do I. Eagle posted last when we were discussing the earthquake in Haiti. I hope she has heard about her foster child and that all is well.

Yep. I still observe Lenten rules on fasting and abstinence. Then, I'll be off for my annual retreat with the nuns on the week leading to Palm Sunday.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Lenten Season - 02/19/10 06:40 PM

Anticipation is observed in our church during Lent. however personally I feel Good Friday to be heavy and sorrowful..
Posted by: AvalonBlondi

Re: Lenten Season - 02/20/10 12:02 AM

Dotsie I love your idea about sending a snail mail card or note to someone each day of Lent...do you mind if I borrow that idea from you and do it as well? smile

I attend Mass daily during Lent and this year I'm giving up all white foods ...i.e. sugar, potatoes, bread...it's a true sacrifice for me and one that I am going to need lots of grace from The Lord to accomplish...I pray I can stick with it.

My husband suggested I give up the computer....maybe next year.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Lenten Season - 02/20/10 12:31 AM

Awhile ago I got an email from Eagle saying they were leaving soon for Cuba and to please hold her emails until she returns in March. I hope all is going well for her and her friends in Cuba but will be relieved and happy to see her back in our cyber family once more.
Posted by: Princess Lenora

Re: Lenten Season - 02/20/10 04:29 AM

I like the idea of making a commitment to dedicate a thoughtful note to someone special every day during Lent. I printed the prayer too. I went to 9 years of Catholic school, I either missed or forgot that prayer. I think it must not be exclusive to Catholic. I call myself a recovering Catholic. It is so refreshing to see from Lola and others that the religion is alive in hearts and souls. When I went back to my Catholic grade school and church 4 years ago for my nephew's funeral, and last year for my Grandmother's funeral, I was surprised that I did not enter the Church with the trepidation of my youth. It felt like home. I was moved by this discussion that Lola initiated. Thank you.

Re: Lenten Season - 02/21/10 11:13 AM

Lynn, I assure you of outstretched hands as you revisit and recapture your Catholic faith. Your personal walk with Him will be supported in prayer and worship throughout. Welcome home.

Re: Lenten Season - 02/22/10 01:53 AM

Lynn, I absolutely agree with Lola. Any time soemone chooses to revisit or begin anew with thier Lord, He is there with open arms. It reminds me of when a parent and child expereince a tiff. When the child comes back, we are there with open arms. He wants our best, just like we desire the best for our children.

Lenten Retreat - 03/31/10 02:59 PM

I'm off for my annual retreat at cloisters from tonight and carry all of you in thoughts and prayers. God bless.

Re: Lenten Retreat - 03/31/10 06:21 PM

And you Lola..will be at Good Friday service in the evening..then Sunday..will think about you at your retreat

Re: Lenten Retreat - 03/31/10 09:10 PM

Thank you, MA. I am leaving shortly and I just want to share another reflection as Lent ends and the Triduum begins:

"Leo Tolstoi, the Russian writer, tells in a short story of a harsh sovereign who asked his priests and sages to show him God so that he might see him. The wise men were unable to satisfy his desire.

Then a shepherd, who was just coming in from the fields, volunteered to take on the task of the priests and sages. From him the King learned that his eyes were not good enough to see God. Then, however, he wanted to know at least what God does. "To be able to answer your question", the shepherd said to the King, "we must exchange our clothes".

Somewhat hesitant but impelled by curiosity about the information he was expecting, the King consented; he gave the shepherd his royal robes and had himself dressed in the simple clothes of the poor man.

Then came the answer: "This is what God does".

Re: Lenten Retreat - 04/01/10 08:31 AM

And did he wear the shoes
humble that they be

so that he may walk
in the steps of another

that is the secret
of my God's love