Joining church

Posted by: Dee

Joining church - 07/20/10 07:52 PM

I was raised Presbyterian...having moved around most of my life finding a church I like has been difficult...I've gone to so many different denominations and find something warm and loving in them all. Lately I've been looking for a church...not too big, not too small...and I've been led to a Methodist Church and when I walked in through the doors I got this 'home' feeling. I've attended a couple of service and met with the pastor and have fallen in love with this place. It reminds me of the church I attended with Mamaw when I was a little girl...down to where I sit...3rd row from the front, right side...it was like she was there with me. To make a long story short I did my first volunteer job today and met some really wonderful people...and it feels like I've been there my whole life. I can't get over it. I'm officially joining this church Sunday and can't wait. I spoke with a woman today about a woman's group that helps feed the homeless, helps abused women and their children and there's even a Red Hat society...too funny.
Posted by: Edelweiss2

Re: Joining church - 07/20/10 08:05 PM

Dee, sounds wonderful. It doesn't surprise me that they are welcoming you with open arms. Hope you will still have time for your online friends...but enjoy enjoy and feel at home there.

I haven't found a church like that. When I sang in the gospel group we were like family. It was a wonderful warm and happy friend time. But then we moved, and the group split up. I would love to sing again in a choir. but at this pöoint my voice can just barely carry the tune " If you're happy, and you know it."
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Joining church - 07/20/10 08:15 PM

Dee ..sounds like a haven and how great for the group there that they are getting to know you..

Re: Joining church - 07/20/10 10:17 PM

Edelweiss...I didn't know you sang in a gospel group! Wow...do you have anything you can share? I'd love to hear you.
MA...I'm the lucky one...I think it will be a great haven from things that are heavy in life.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Joining church - 07/21/10 12:04 AM

Dee, it's so neat to hear your excitement about joining a church. Sounds like the perfect fit. I love learning about other churches. What's their Web site?

Ours is www.towsonpres.org.

Re: Joining church - 07/21/10 12:06 AM

Oh, two things:

the door to house looks directly into the church door

the site isn't so great, but it's in the process of being updated for the fall
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Joining church - 07/21/10 12:59 AM

Dee, they will love you as much as we do, that I'd bet money on. I am so happy you found a church that you like and vice versa.
Posted by: Di

Re: Joining church - 07/21/10 01:27 AM

I know how good it feels to finally find a "fit" for a church home. It took me 23 churches to only go back to the very first one I attended. Here is our website:

http://www.harvestchristiancenter.org/

May I make a suggestion. Wait a bit longer to officially join. You just never know. Remembering that churches are still made up of "people"......just give it some time. It took me a couple of years to be "official". Just wanted to tread softly.
Posted by: Alice

Re: Joining church - 07/22/10 03:28 PM

Unfortunately, because of what happened to me in my church of 31 years, voted out of membership, with my name up on a big screen, followed by the words, "Conduct Unbecoming a Child of God." Very long story....i cannot bear to go to church or hear anything religious.

Spiritual abuse goes to the very core of who we are. It is a wound I cannot heal.

www.churchabusepoetrytherapy.com

Re: Joining church - 07/23/10 01:16 PM

First, Alice...I'm so sorry you went through that...good grief...I cannot imagine that happening to anyone in a church. You poor thing...I'd be church-shy, too.
Our web site is: www.saralandumc.org
It's small, yet big enough to be busy. I'm already doing receptionist work one morning a week...that was fun. I met a lot of good folks that way.
Di...thank you for the advice...I'd considered doing that actually but feel this is the right thing to do. It just feels right, right now. I went to one church in Saraland (won't mention the name) and the pastor's secretary was downright rude...she wouldn't talk, she wasn't friendly and I found her to be 'click-ish'...one time I tried to talk to the pastor and she wanted to know why...I told her it was about mine and Larry getting married and she said the pastor would not married divorce people and that was that. Found out later this is not true and we missed him marrying us...really weird. Just one of many reasons I didn't stay with that church.
I looked at all of your web site...they're pretty amazing churches, too. Love the red door on your church, Dotsie!
Hugs Chatty
Posted by: jabber

Re: Joining church - 07/25/10 01:07 PM

Dee,
I'm so happy to read that you've found a church. And I love The
Red Hat Society, their concept of enjoying life is one to
behold! Have fun in your new church. God Bless! Perhaps, I'll find a church home again some day!

Re: Joining church - 07/25/10 09:05 PM

Dee, anxious to hear how today went. You joined, right?

I love the images your site has on the homepage. Makes it very inviting.

Do they have a reception for new members? Many others join with you? I can't wait to hear.

Re: Joining church - 07/26/10 01:35 PM

Hey ya'll...yesterday was so much fun...At the end of the service our Pastor called me up and introduced me to the congregation. He told them how I'd started volunteering for the church before becoming a visitor and he thought that was so cool. I chocked back a few tears as I felt the spiritual, loving embrace of the church and its people accept me and as everyone came by to shake my hand at the back of the church, I had the most warm-hearted experience...so many warm people welcoming me and it just reaffirmed everything I felt from day one...this is where I belong. Yesterday afteroon a woman named Dianne called me to welcome me and we chatted about half an hour...she was so sweet and gave me information about different committees that are available for helping others. I think Wednesday nights are going to be taken from now on at my church...a social pot-luck supper and bible study and there's also a group that meets who have/had addiction problems...they come for support and to share their wonderful recovery stories. I'm told that is really special to watch.
Well, I feel God in my heart, I joined the church, I have the mug and I even bought the T-shirt (yes we have mugs and t-shirts)...:) So, it's official...and I'm soooooooooooo excited!
Jabber...keep looking...never give up...one day it will find you.
Dotsie...I'll let Pastor Rob know how much you like the web site.
Love and hugs

Re: Joining church - 07/26/10 01:59 PM

Dee,
What sweet story. So happy you're happy! Prayers and blessings!

Re: Joining church - 07/27/10 01:35 PM

Someday, the Holy Spirit will lead to a home church, I believe!
And I hope I'm as happy as you, Dee!

Re: Joining church - 08/03/10 06:09 PM

Dee, I once worked at a church and was responsible for the visitors and new members. Your situation brings such joy to my heart. It's so neat to hear about someone embracing their church and their Lord! Tell us more. How's it going?

jabber, I haven faith that you will one day be guided to a church community where you feel blessed!
Posted by: Gift Expressions

Re: Joining church - 09/22/10 02:22 AM

Dee,

I am so happy to hear that you have found a church home. That is so important. The feeling you described is the one my husband and I had when we walked into the church we currently attend (about 8 years ago.) We love it there. There are many different age groups, a good outreach ministry and many ways that we have been able to get involved. The Word is preached and I love the worship music.

I'm so glad for you, Dee. Blessings to you.