Life hangs on a silver thread.

Posted by: Edelweiss

Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 08:53 AM

My Dil is playing currently volleyball in Switzerland and will be there till April. She shares an apartment with a team mate, who is a good friend, as well.

Her roommate’s mother flew over from America and brought the team mate’s son with her. Because the mom was there to take care of the child, Anaiya, our grandchild, spent the week with her mother as well. Between training, the friend’s mom took care of both children. It worked out really well.

Well yesterday, during training, the mother keeled over and died on the spot. The children thought she lay down to play and crawled all over her; cause of death kidney malfunction.

The mother was only 55 years old. She had no international medical insurance, so to top off the devastating story; the daughter has to play horrendous bills. Also you aren’t allowed to fly a corpse back home. The mother has to be cremated first.

We are picking up Anaiya in Switzerland tomorrow so that my DIL can help her friend in arranging everything.

I could hardly sleep last night, thinking of how life hangs on a silver thread. My DIL’s roommate will probably have to give up her Olympic goals, since she doesn’t have anyone to take care of her son.

For those who believe it may help, please say a prayer for this young mother and her child. Thank you so much.
Posted by: Mountain Ash

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 08:57 AM

O My.
MA
Posted by: ladyjane

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 12:00 PM

Oh Hannelore, how tragic! But how real, too. We never know what can happen. It puts life into perspective, doesn't it? Travel safely to pick up your little doll. I'll be praying for your DIL's teammate and all of you. Check in when you get back please?
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 01:33 PM

Losing her Mom has to absolutely rip her heart in two and cannot be compared to the Olympics. You can have other dreams, but you can't have another Mother.

But then to couple that with the loss of her dream and so much hard work. This is truly a tragedy. I'm so sorry to hear this. Imagine the daughter's grief! She has lost her mother AND her dreams plus she is faced with a monetary concern. So much at once!
Posted by: orchid

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 03:11 PM

Very sad and that unexpected cost is very hard. Hope DIL's friend makes it through somehow. This will be a serious test of her strength..
Posted by: Dancing Dolphin

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 03:26 PM

Oh no, how very sad. I'm so sorry for the families. Things can happen so quickly, can't they? A local 34-yr old woman died 2 weeks ago from a brain aneurism and left her 12 year old daughter.

I'll pray for everyone.
Posted by: Anno

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 08:22 PM

I am so sorry for all involved, including your dil.

Consider everyone in my prayers.
Posted by: gims

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/09/08 10:04 PM

This is almost too sad to comment to right now.
I will pray for them, though.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/10/08 01:13 AM

Life hangs by a thread is right. So sad, so scary, so ????
Praying for them all...
Posted by: katebcca

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/10/08 03:49 AM

My prayers are with them. I am with gims, not much to say as this is so sad.
Kate
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/10/08 07:26 PM

Hannelore, what a devastating story. I am so sorry. How are things progressing? Has anyone offered to care for the child? Please update us. Covering all in prayer and sending thoughts of peace and calm to all involved. How old is the child?
Posted by: Edelweiss

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/10/08 08:15 PM

The family all flew in yesterday, to support the dear girl. Her son is 5 and doesn't understand what is going on. Meanwhile, a special casket has been sent from the States, so they don't have to cremate afterall.
My DIL spent all day and night with her friend, so she wasn't left alone.
She's doing better, though. Thank you all for caring.
Posted by: Dee

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/11/08 04:46 PM

Good Grief...what a sad and tragic story. My heart goes out to everyone.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Life hangs on a silver thread. - 02/11/08 08:16 PM

So sad and devastating! May God comfort all involved! Life is so precious and short! It's full of wonders and full of sadness at the same time. But God is very close to all that suffer and one day soon, this will end.

I thank God for the blessed hope of his second coming when all this sorrow will end!