missing kids on holidays

Posted by: Dotsie

missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 08:06 AM

I miss my son who's away at college. He's 10 hours away and doesn't get home between the beginning of school and Thanksgiving. [Frown] We visited once, but it seems so long ago.

We're having the extended family here for dinner. I'm so use to him being here, it's just different. Do you miss your kids on the holidays when you don't see them?
Posted by: smilinize

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 08:13 AM

I miss my daughter in Austin all the time. She's about 10 hrs. away too. And she has two of my grandkids down there. Makes me nuts. Especially around the holidays.
smile
Posted by: WizardofZA

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 08:48 AM

It's horrible. My older daughter wasn't able to come home one Christmas a few years ago when she was living in Texas and had to work. We opened presents over the phone, and we were all miserable. Now she lives near us in Arizona, so that is good. But my other daughter lives in DC with her new husband, and will be spending the holidays this year with her in-laws. I know I have to share, but I still hate it. We're getting on a plane right after New Years to have a belated Christmas with them on the east coast.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 04:40 PM

I recall how hard it was to balance both families during the holidays when we were first married. I guess we have to put ourselves in their shoes. It's hard to please everyone. [Wink]

This is just the beginning for me. In a couple years I'll have three in college. [Eek!]

We need to stay positive and make the most of the holidays without them. Another stage... [Roll Eyes]
Posted by: Vicki M. Taylor

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 05:42 PM

All my kids are grown up and on their own. Two of them are out of state so we don't get to spend much time together at all. Around the holidays it's hard.

My other daughter lives here in town, but she and her boyfriend try to spend time with boths sides of their family. Sometimes we get Thanksgiving dinner, other times we just get dessert. Depends on whose turn it is this year.

It's hard sharing. Sometimes I just want to cry out, "it's not fair."

But, I have to be understanding, like it was said. We were once in their shoes and we had to make difficult choices and couldn't please everyone every time.

I have to be thankful that they're even making an effort and I should be grateful.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 07:17 PM

I miss my neighbor...oh yeah sure she married my ex-husband 30 days after we divorced, but girl! That woman could cook!

What?

JJ
Posted by: smilinize

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 09:42 PM

Hey, you think she might marry me?
I NEED a really good cook around here.
smile
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: missing kids on holidays - 11/01/04 10:52 PM

Are you kidding me? She'd marry anybody that's got money...she already has...4 times. But hunny, you couldn't drink her pretty. Uh huh...sure nuff.
[Eek!]
JJ