Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements

Posted by: jawjaw

Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 01/31/08 08:04 PM

Anybody here take an abundance of vits and supps? I take Vit E and Fish oil. I was talking a multi-vit but I'm out at the moment. I have no special needs with the exception of someone to clean my house...but that's another matter for another post.

So...what do you take everyday?

Share as little or as much as you want.
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 12:47 AM

1 multi-vite
calcium 1500 mgs
fish oil 1200 mgs
biotin 5 mgs
CoQ-10 200 mgs
aged garlic 1200 mgs
b-2 400 mgs
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 01:55 AM

- six multi vitamins a day (three at a time)
- 2 vitamin e ( for fibrous cystic disease)
- 3 Omega 3 fish oils

Meredith, why do you take garlic?
And why CoQ?

Thanks.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 02:05 AM

Dotsie, the b-2 and CoQ-10 in these amounts are for migraines. Studies have shown that they reduce the frequency, length and intensity of migraines `50% in maybe 50% of people who take them. I've been on this regimen over 2 years. I believe that I still spend the same # of days ill (frequency and length,) but the intensity of pain is maybe a notch or 2 lower. I'll take whatever I can get.

The AGED garlic -- not just any garlic -- is to reduce cholesterol. I use Kyolic.
Posted by: Di

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 03:00 AM

1000 mg's of Evening Primrose Oil (for hot flashes)
2 Woman's multi-vitamins

(Should take Calcium but keep forgetting)

We eat oatmeal every day as well.
Posted by: euphrades

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 08:13 PM

Whole Foods Women +45 Viatmins. Wonderful.
Posted by: Lola

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 02/01/08 08:26 PM

Daily dose of

1000 mg. eye-q (combination Fish Oil & EP)
10 mls. Vigranon-B (iron supplement)
100 mgs Soy Isoflavones
Posted by: gims

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/12/08 02:06 PM

I'm off to a vitamin seminar in a couple of hours. If any of you are online and can think of questions you'd like me to ask the doctor who is speaking, let me know soon... I'll put them with mine. I'll be leaving in about an hour and 1/2 ... I should have posted this Monday when I got invited, but I wasn't sure I would get to go - it has been raining non-stop and I'm surrounded by flood zones.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/12/08 06:51 PM

I'm back AND it was way too much information in such a short time - the overload was frustrating. Plus I was timid... a lot of health care and other professionals attended. I think there might have been four or five of us that were there as regular interested citizens. It was well worth it. Now, I have to get to studying so I'll be prepared to ask questions this weekend. I've decided to take the pay for info class this Sat... I get a free book with that one (well, not free, but as part of the fee). I anyone comes up with questions, fill free to send them with me.
So much to know and understand.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/12/08 08:11 PM

This is funny. I saw what I posted in January and I've already changed what I'm taking. The fish oil was too fishy for me. I kept burping a fish taste so I stopped. Gross! Now I'm taking Viactiv, 2 Es, and Calcium.

How about asking about Vitamin D in connection with Calcium? I think that's right. Some say Calcium is no good without D. Anyone heard that?

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/12/08 10:17 PM

Calcium - here's some of what he said:
Make sure it is chelated, which means it is pre-digested and pre-acidized... your body won't have to do the work, and you'll absorb more. It takes a high acid stomach to process non- chelated calcium. And yes, he said calcium needs D, along with K and other minerals (boron, magnesium, zinc - a few he named - there are upwards of 20)

Fish Oil - his very first discussion topic, as he thinks it is soooo important, for every single organ in your body, as well as for the functions they do collectively. He claims that taking fish oil supplements is safer than eating fish. The way fish oil is processed, you don't get the dangerous metals, etc. Try and find fish oils from South America - Chilean, to be exact. Fish make fat in response to cold water and Chile (and other parts of South America) is one of the last good cold bodies of water where fish can produce such fat. Also, supplement providers aren't telling the public that the percentages of DHA in fish oils is dropping due to the warming of earth's water, so the DHA may be at 80%, while the EPA is still maintained at 120% (the percentages may be off - I'm pulling from memory)... but, for fish oils to work properly (the reason for taking them) they must be at the proper percentages. You need fish oil for your heart, brain, skin, and other (per him). I take some under the Natrol label that have lemon flavoring added. I don't get the fishy burp.
He talked of conversions of ALA, EPA and DHA... none of which I understood... not only was he talking fast, it was way over my head! He also introduced GLA (fatties from berry seeds) and Krill Oil into this section. I was taking notes, reading the slides, listening, all while my b*** was hurting from sitting on a chair that kept my feet from touching the floor.
Nevertheless, I'd go again!!!

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/12/08 10:28 PM

OH, when he was talking about Vit E, he said to make sure you have the D form, which is 'natural' if I understood correctly, 'DL' being synthetic. And, this was one of the most interesting bits of information he gave, during the whole session... bone is a living tissue and it remodels/rebuilds itself every 7 years.

More point he made:
Know which supplements to take with meals and without... some have to be accompanied by fat to work... others shouldn't be combined with fat - I think Vit C is one that falls within the latter.
A few other points he made about Vit C:
*Should not be taken with any other supplements
*Our bodies have evolved to a point that it can't make C anymore
*It starts getting absorbed as soon as taken, absorption taking place throughout the journey, to finish in the intestines.
*Aspirin interferes with Vit C, even if you take on the same day
*Sodium enhances Vit C - if you are on a low or no sodium diet, find a C which is made for easy absorption (he said this kind is best for diabetics, too)
*C is synergetic with other antioxidants
*C is good for reparation and immunity, as well as collagen, connective tissues, and stress (as fast as I was writing, I didn't get it all, but I'm sure there's info on the web)

I've got more, if anyone is interested.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 03:11 AM

Gals, don't forget Green Tea! If you don't like the taste of cold or hot green tea beverages (like myself), you can purchase supplements in the vitamin section at your local grocer or nutrition store. Target and Wal-Mart have good deals.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 03:27 AM

MG, that's one thing he didn't touch on - green tea. But stevia came up... it's a herb, I learned. One lady, attending the class, said she grew a stevia plant at home. We received a handful of stevia samples. I've never tried it, but will --- in my green tea, which I love. Do you know if Target or WalMart carries NOW products? Several times he mentioned that brand, and some doctor who does research for them. I couldn't catch the name, even though he said it 3 or 4 times.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 08:17 AM

Gims, my b-2 is NOW and I get it at Henry's. I'm pretty sure it's not at Target and I don't go to Walmart but their website might say.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 06:35 PM

Lots of info Gims. I don't take anything. Is there something that I SHOULD be taking at my age? I feel great, lots of energy and all. When we were kids, we got MALTEVOL in the wintertime, Cod liver oil capsules in the summertime and A dose of EXLAX every now and then...never asked why.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 08:48 PM

gims, what have you decided to take as a result of this seminar?

I had Dad at an appointment todya, and the pharmacist was telling us how everyone is now deprived of Vitamin D because we're rarely outside and when we are, we have on sumblock. I've heard thsi before.

Here's my problem. I get so many mixed messages about what to take, that I'm always changing what I take and I'm sure that's not right.

What fish oil product doesn't make you burp a fish taste? I know I need to take that because heart disease is prevalent in Dad's family.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/13/08 11:53 PM

Meredith, I checked the Walmart site, and unless they carry it under a private label, I don't think we can buy it there. I was hoping not. I don't care for Walmart either, although I confess, I go there sometimes for convenience.

chick, you don't know how I envy you... if my sad and tired days would go away, I might not be searching so diligently. If you are feeling as well as you make it seem, I'd say not to worry. Realize I am not a professional... and that I'd prefer to refer you to one than to say, 'sure, take this or that.' Zero in aging parts - heart, bones, brain, and so forth, thinking of the future.

I'm waiting til after Sat.'s class to make my decisions, Dotsie. The instructor is going to go through each system of the body and explain how they support each other, what each needs to function, the best applications, etc. But, from Wed.'s class, I have added lutein to my supp. chest, for my eyes... and re-started HSN (a hair, skin and nails formula).
Sat., I'll be asking about and tuning in to find out more on ox bile, something Wed.'s instructor suggested to help me with the intermittent trouble I'm having digesting beef and chicken. I understand fully what you mean, dots, about the confusion. I'm hoping this class, and the consult with the iridologist will help me make better and necessary choices. I'm fed up with medical doctors... guess that's why I'm turning back to natural.
And, here's a link to the lemon flavored omegas that I'm taking... I only get a rare bad burp with them: Natrol Omega Complex

Again, I am not a professional. Not advising one thing or another... but, I think you can agree, we are not getting what we need in our food and water, or from our environment, as you so noted in your comment about Vit D and the sun, dots.
If anyone is seriously interested in this sort of thing, see if you can find the book Prescription for Nutritional Healing. It's been my nutritional reference for years... well worth the $$$s I gave for it years ago... not that you can't find any and all information you'll ever need by way of the internet.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/14/08 04:16 PM

gims, how did you learn abot the class, and who's teaching it? Just curious. It sounds great.
Posted by: Sharonie

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/15/08 06:53 PM

Hi, everyone. Just joined. I'm a Registered Dietitian. I take 1,000 IU of vitamin D3, Centrum Silver, 1,000 mg fish oil, probiotic every day. As to the fish taste...keep trying until you find one you can tolerate. Actually, Costco brand is pretty good. It's really an important supplement for everyone. D3 should be mandatory. None of us gets enough sunshine (that's the way our bodies make vitamin D) and as we age our bodies are less able to make it so taking a supplement is extremely important. I take a probiotic (containing pre and probiotics) because I have read the science and I believe it is an important supplement to take for immunity, gut health and lots of other issues. The Centrum is just my little insurance pill. The research is a little iffy on taking vitamin E as a supplement. And vitamin C supplementation is a bit overrated. E, however, has been shown to be potentially unhealthy when taken as a supplement although the amount in a multi is okay. I believe one poster asked about Calcium and D...one of the roles of vitamin D is to help calcium be utilized by the body so, yes, very important. That's why milk has vitamin D added to it. But for all the other functions of D in the body, a supplement is truly necessary. Over supplementing can be a dangerous thing...especially if you are taking other medications. Supplements are medications. They are not without their dangers.
Posted by: chickadee

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/15/08 08:11 PM

Welcome Sharonie to BWS. We have been talking supplements in another thread and you are a wealth of information.I think I will start the vitamin D soon.Thank you for posting.I'm sure the questions will be coming from other members soon.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/16/08 03:03 AM

Sharonie, thanks for jumping in, and welcome. Are probiotics good for digestive health? Do you know anything about that? Also, I swear by E. I have cyctic fibrous disease (lots of cysts in the breasts) and E definitely helps with this. Heaven help me when I run out. I get more cysts and my breasts hurt. No joke. Staying away from caffeine also helps.

Anxious to hear how gims did today.
Posted by: Heartstrong

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/21/08 04:48 AM

Hi,
Just a helpful hint for people taking fish oil capsules - if you experience a fishy aftertaste - put the fish oil capsules in the freezer. This will eliminate the fishy aftertaste but does not alter the potency of the capsules. Reliable brands for fish oil capsules include Natures Made, Natures Bounty and Kirkland which is the Costco brand.
You need to be careful when taking any kind of supplement because they are not regulated by the FDA and some supplements may contain more or less than what is actually listed on the label. A good site to check for more info is consumerlabs.com

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/21/08 05:01 AM

Hi,
Quick comment about Vitamin D:
A recent study (The Framingham Offspring Study) published earlier this year reported an increased risk for heart disease in people whose Vitamin D levels were low. People with high blood pressure were at an even higher risk than people with normal blood pressure.
The study suggests that Vitamin D blood levels less than 15 ng/ml may increase your risk for a heart attack, heart failure, and stroke. In the study even after adjusting for other common risk factors (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes) people with low Vitamin D levels were at a much higher risk compared to people with normal Vitamin D levels. Low Vitamin D levels are relatively common in the United States, especially among people who do not get a lot of sun exposure or in areas that do not get a lot of sunshine. Darker pigmented skin and the use of sunblock prevents the sun rays from being absorbed and decreases normal Vitamin D production in the body. Routine screening of Vitamin D levels is currently not recommended and you should discuss your individual risk with your health care provider. The American Heart Association recommends getting Vitamin D from food sources (milk, salmon, mackerel, sardines, fortified cereals) rather than taking supplements. Most people should consume between 800 and 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) daily.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/23/08 01:43 PM

Carolyn,

I have read some of the same things you've mentioned above about Vit. D. I'm wondering why all of a sudden V-D is in the news. Seems like everything I pick up here lately in the health arena has a focus on V-D.

I wonder why that is. Do you have an opinion on this media frenzy?

Just curious. Oh and I've checked my own VIT routine to make sure it includes it! HA!

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/23/08 02:29 PM

heartstrong, thanks for your hot tip on putting Fish Oil in the freezer. I'll be back to my fish oil tomorrow. I liked taking it becasue I felt like I was doing soemthing good for myself by simply taking a viatmin, but couldn't take the fish taste. I'm not a real lover of fish, unless it's grilled, or deliciously seasoned so this is great news. Thanks.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/26/08 02:50 AM

JawJaw,
A few recent studies have been published about Vitamin D. That's how most medical trends start and unlike other health trials (which frequently report conflicting results) these studies all keep showing the same results about the importance of Vitamin D. It just appears to be the "trendy" vitamin of 2008.
Dotsie,
Glad you will be able to start taking your fish oil capsules again they really are very beneficial.

Happy Thanksgiving to All !!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/28/08 10:05 PM

In the past 15 to 20 years when patients are going in for colorectal cancer surgery and given blood tests, it shows them ALL to be almost completed depleted of Vitamin D. I find that perplexsing as we only need to expose our skin for 15 minutes a day to the sun in order to get the Vitamin D needed to sustain itself in our systems. Or take a supplement. I take a su[pplement daily to make sure my body has all it needs. Its cheap and so simple.

Dotsie, the fish oil is beneficial but you need to make sure you get both Omega 6 and Omega 3 in order for either to be as beneficial as they could be.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/29/08 12:49 AM

chatty, what fish oil do you take?

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/29/08 12:49 AM

And where is gims? Anyone seen her? I miss her.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 11/30/08 09:51 PM

Wasn't she having trouble getting back into the forum????????
Posted by: justjoan

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 12/05/08 01:56 AM

I'm going to try the fish oil in the freezer! I have the Kirklands and even though it says it doesn't have the aftertaste - it does...not as bad as another brand I couldn't even tolerate!

I admit I should be better about taking supplements. When I'm good I take:

a multiple vitamin
glucosamine plus chondroitin (spelling?)
an aspirin
the fish oil
calcium plus D

I have a huge stock of soy powder drinks as well I purchased for those annoying menopausal symptoms but haven't been good about drinking them. I've been such a slacker lately! I think it's Seasonal Affective Disorder. Michigan. Grey skies. Blah, lol!

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 12/05/08 04:57 PM

Not that it matters, I suppose, but I buy all of my vits and supplements, including Stevia, from Puritan Pride. I call their 1-800 number because I don't like buying online, but they are great! And I know that what they say is in there, IS in there. They have such great buys, too. I just love um.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/28/09 07:17 PM

thought I'd bring this back up. Yesterday I went to an Educational Nutritional Consultant...spent about 2 hours there and I got educated!

She has me on Co-Enzymes B-Complex, Progesta-Care Plus (a natural Progesterone) with Phytoestrogens Body Cream. Having had a hyst and my going off Premarin, I was in need of something. Seems my testosterone is a bit too high.

We are also testing my Magnesium to see what dosage I'll need. And my return to taking a daily multi-vitamin is needed as well. I'll go back to my liquid one.

I'm amazed at how much we NEED the B vitamins and Magnesium. She gave out some reading material that I've read thru.

She also gave me the "muscle" test. Anyone hear of it? It has to do with muscle resistance when you hold the container of the product you most likely are deficient in. I thought it was a bit bazaar, but heck, I'll do what she says since it kinda lined up with what I felt I need anyway.

She also told me her 89 yr old Dad, who was in a nursing home, is now out of it...living well and no longer on Alzheimer's meds (and does not have it!) nor insulin. He is on a diabetes diet instead. She educated herself due to a dental procedure gone bad some years back.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/29/09 04:22 AM

I have been following the Julian Whitaker healthy diabetes eating plan now for 6 weeks and have been off all my meds for two full weeks and my glucose stays in the normal range. He says follow it long long enough and I won't have the disease anymore, or ever again, as long as I don't go insane and start stuffing myself with all the wrong foods. Amazingly, I can have just about everything in moderation.

Dr. Whitaker has a clinic in Newport Beach, CA. He does wonders wiyth Type I disbetics as well. So they can live normal lives. I wanted to spend a week there, they have the facilities but apparently don't need to since the eating plan has worked. I take lots of supplements on my own and vitamins as well but depend on good food for most of what I need.

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/29/09 12:36 PM

good for you, Chatty! I have a friend who eats all sorts of sweet stuff and one time asked her "I thought you were diabetic". She said yes but she takes shots. I thought a good diet was important. Hmmmm..

I JUST now read the label on the Progesta-Care Plus. It says that it's known to cause Cancer in California! (the progesterone part) So, back to square one! The packaging says "all natural". I'm mad about that one. Dad was very concerned when I told him that I'm trying this. There have been many cancers in women in my family including Mom. (all have died) So, I"ll call the consultant and find an alternative.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/29/09 03:43 PM

Hey ya'll - my knees are bothersome. I've always yard work, riding, house work, etc. and my left knee will hurt a bit. Thus, I'f thought of taking glucosamine with maybe chondroitin and/or MSM. Yet, whats the difference? Pros/cons?

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/29/09 10:55 PM

First of all you need a supplement that contaiuns all three of them, chondroitin, MSM, and glucosamine...WHY? Because the act and react off of one another. Each makes the others work more effectively. One by itself is okay I guess, but kind of a waste of time. Huge study done and thats the conscensus.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Let's Talk Vitamins and Supplements - 05/30/09 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Sharonie
Over supplementing can be a dangerous thing...especially if you are taking other medications. Supplements are medications. They are not without their dangers.

From the dietician who posted earlier months ago.

At this point in time, admittedly I don't take any vitamins and supplements. In the past, it has been recommended that I take some iron but that was when I was underweight and ..during my non-cycling years. Calcium has been recommended to me also. Just haven't gotten around to it.

I think I'm eating probably 5-10% more food because I'm at home and food is close to me. But with my daily exercise routine...I've actually lost abit of weight over past 3 months. I don't worry about vitamin C since I eat several fruits daily.

I get probably abit too much sunshine because I am cycling daily early morning for the past 2 months. During colder/rainier season, I can only fit in 2-4 times of cycling per week. I just focus on eating dishes/food made of whole original produce, with least amount of processed ingredients/foods.