Skin Cancer

Posted by: Saundra

Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 01:03 AM

Yesterday I had a sun-related skin cancer growth removed from my right cheek. My dermatologist took the whole thing (it preceded me into rooms). He called it a biopsy.

Next week we get lab results and find out if he has to do a small production or a large production (his words). Now that I'm not working outside anymore this seems extremely unfair.

I no longer like irony.

Has anyone else has this on their face? I had two small ones removed from my chest in the last two years, but they were nothing like this.
Posted by: Eagle Heart

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 04:21 AM

Saundra, what a frightening thing to go through!

I had a similar scare this past year, a small growth just above my mouth. She removed the whole thing to do the biopsy...took a long time to heal. Thankfully, it was "pre-cancer" and doesn't seem to be anything to worry about.

Saundra, I'll be carrying you in heart-prayer! Waiting to hear back is so discomforting, isn't it!
Posted by: meredithbead

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 07:47 AM

Saundra, I'm hoping for the best. I had basal cell carcinoma on my mid-upper back about 7 or 8 years ago, but nothing on my face.

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 12:55 PM

Thanks for your kind words, Eagle and Ms. M.

Yes, Eagle Heart. Waiting to hear back is discomforting. Knowing is a better place to be so you can move forward.
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 03:02 PM

Saundra,
I've had one removed from my breast, a basal cell carcinoma. Actually, I've had it removed twice, surgically. No problems, either time. Being a red-head, I burn in the sun so I've never laid out much. I could because I love being in the sun, but just never have.

Good luck sistah...I'm sure it will be fine!
Posted by: jabber

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 04:21 PM

MY MIL just had five spots removed. The one on her nose they wanted to do radiation on, but she refuses. She a spot
removed from her shoulder a few years back. MIL is 88 years old;
she's keepin' the faith. Prayers and blessings, some of these
things are rough. Just wanted you to know, you're not alone.
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 06:07 PM

Saundra, I know two men who have had them removed from their faces. Both are fine.

Did the doctor instruct you to use anything on the scar? I've heard it really helps to use cocoa butter, and of course, to stay totally out of the sun while it's healing.
Posted by: browser57

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/03/09 07:49 PM

I have a friends who's husband had to have the upper rim of one ear nearly removed. He's an avid golfer and was an athlete in his younger years and would never be caught dead with sunscreen on. So, they had to rebuild the little rim on the top of his ear from skin grafts and stretching his own skin (ouch!!)- he's a sorry little puppy right now. Wonder if he will change his ways.
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/04/09 01:44 AM

Someone could actually play "connect the dots" on my body, I have so many little moles. None seem to be troublesome but who knows. I also have bumps under my skin in many places. My father had them too called "fatty tumors" but they were never cancerous.
Such scary stuff! God bless you Saundra.

Re: Skin Cancer - 04/04/09 01:46 PM

I have a fatty tumor on one leg. Guess all this stuff comes with
added birthdays. But the alternative isn't all that attractive, either. I know other people who've gone through similar stuff,
and they're okay now, Saundra. Prayers and blessings,

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/08/09 07:30 PM

Okay, it wasn't quite that easy.

The biospy was last week and I lived in denial all week. It was a low grade, sun-related skin cancer - the best to get!!!

A small procedure in the office (thank G-d) instead of a real surgery with stitches. Still, 2 needles in the right cheek, below the cheekbone, and that cutting and scraping pressure is not pleasant. And it will hurt tonight and tomorrow.

I love Dr. Possick. He helped me through it with humor and told me it won't look good for months. I so appreciate his honesty.

Don't everyone come over with cupcakes at once. Spread 'em out.

Stay pale. cry

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/08/09 10:23 PM

Thank the Lord the worst is over. I will send you some cyber cupcakes today, a chocolate with coconut and cherry frosting.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/08/09 11:21 PM

Yipee! All is well!
Posted by: Lola

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/09/09 06:40 AM

I second that, JJ! Gosh, Saundra. I had'nt come across your earlier posts on this and I am glad it's all done and dusted now.
Posted by: Edelweiss3

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/09/09 09:32 AM

Oh yes Saundra...stay pale is right! I have had so many sunburns, it is a wonder that I don't have any skin problems yet. So glad you are healing.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/09/09 12:47 PM

My cupcake is chocolate with chocolate icing. Enjoy.

Make sure you keep it protected from the sun while it's healing.

I've started wearing sunglasses AND a viser on the beach. I know I look like a geek, but it's so much more comfortable and safe. Gone are those teen days of lathering up with Johnson's Baby Oil. What were we thinking?

I remember lying out in the backyard on a beach towel the weekend before prom, trying my darndest to get some color.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/09/09 03:32 PM

Saundra,
Glad the worst is over. Good luck and stay safe. My MIL had
5 spots taken off. I took her an Easter present yesterday and
she does not look well. She had several small patches on her
forehead. And the area on her nose looked sore. Prayin' for
everybody. And will keep on, keeping on!
Posted by: Anno

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/09/09 09:57 PM

Saundra, I have just caught this, and wish you the best. Sounds like you may not look perfect for a bit, but you will be living for a while. And that's darn good.

My cupcakes should arrive soon. A nice white cake with caramel frosting. Sweet, but delish.

How did you discover the thing? Did someone else tell you to go to the doc, or did you do it on your own?

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/10/09 12:12 PM

Ladies, I love the cupcakes. I found a box of brownie mix in the cupboard...hmmmm.

Anno, I lost my job in January, my doctor died in February and in March I thought I had stress-related adult acne. Then it grew. Then it felt wrong when I touched it. In two weeks I was afraid of it.

My new doctor said it was cancer and go see a dermatologist. I called and had the biopsy on April 1st (bad joke). One week later he removed the cancer.

I looked at it yesterday - I swear he used a melon ball scooper. Then I got nauseaus(sp?) and cried. I had no idea skin is so thick.

This morning it looks smaller than I thought, but it's deep so I will put a bandaid over it when I leave home. Yikes. Every time I think I have it together, something goes wrong - just like real life!

Yes, Dotsie, what were we thinking, even us redheads? I needed a job with insurance and I worked outside for 5 years knowing I wasn't suppposed to be in the sun. Now I pay.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/10/09 01:00 PM

Saundra Goodman,
Any relation to Len Goodman on "Dancing With The Stars?" You're not the only person who should've stayed out of the sun. As a kid, I worked in the fields in summertime. Dad always had a farmer's tan; I tan easily and am dark complexioned but still got way too many sunburns. My MIL is light skinned. And you, being a redhead, sound like you're light skinned. Take care of yourself! Prayers and blessings... Here's praying for 100% healing 4 U & MIL!

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/15/09 05:11 PM

Thanks, Jabber. One week has passed and the hole is filling in. Don't ask...

JJ and all us other redheads are more susceptible. Yes, I take responsiblity for working outside for 5 years.

It may be worse than I think it is because people are looking at me funny when I go out. Or is that because...?

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 04/19/09 10:41 PM

No relation to Len Goodman, Jabber.

Summer's coming and I'll be happy to stay inside with the A/C.
Posted by: dsunicorn

Re: Skin Cancer - 05/10/09 04:36 AM

I have red hair and light skin so have had to deal with skin cancer for year.. had three on my face and several on arms and hands. I have had them cut off, burned off with dry ice, laser used.. so pretty much everything ... well last summer my dr told me about a cream to use .. it is called Efudex..you put it on twice a day for like two weeks and it bring the cancer cells to the top of the skin.. your skin turns red and blisters and it does hurt.. feels like a burn..but after 6 weeks all the new skin grows back and the cancer is gone!
This really worked for me...hope if anyone else is haveing skin cancer they will talk to there dr. about this cream...
You can find more information about it on there web site..
Posted by: andrewson

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/13/09 07:15 AM

Thanks to god you are safe and Glad the worst is over.Always stay happy and safe life smile

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/14/09 06:21 PM

dsunicorn, thanks for checking in and sharing the hot tip about the cream.

Welcome to BWS. I hope to see you in the other forums while posting today. Looking ofrward to learning more about you.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/14/09 09:53 PM

WELCOME dsunicorn, wow what a grand way to start posting. This information could save someones life. I do hope to see more of you here. Its is a magical place.

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/15/09 01:23 PM

Welcome to you, dsunicorn! I'm with the others. Thanks for the post and the tip on the cream. I'm a redhead, so I REALLY thank you!
Posted by: crazymom

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/15/09 02:36 PM

Efudex is a wonderful addition to the arsenal of treatments for skin cancer. However, Efudex is NOT used for melanoma, the deadly type of skin cancer. I know this personally. Efudex is effective for Actinic Keratoses or superficial basal cell carcinomas, which are types of skin cancer but are not deadly. I don't believe these types of skin cancer are even staged, the way melanoma and other serious cancers are. Using Efudex on a melanoma will just delay proper care and risks metastasis...and could lead to death.

Valeant Pharmaceuticals International (NYSE:VRX)is the pharmaceutical company which produces Efudex. This is the product statement issued by that company:
"Efudex® (fluorouracil) Topical Solutions and Cream is recommended for the topical treatment of multiple actinic or solar keratoses. In the 5% strength it is also useful in the treatment of superficial basal cell carcinomas when conventional methods are impractical, such as with multiple lesions or difficult treatment sites. Safety and efficacy in other indications have not been established."

I wish Efudex was a miracle cure for all types of skin cancer, but I have the huge, deep surgery scars to prove that it is not. My experience with melanoma was frightening and horrible and turned the future for my entire family upside down.

An interesting fact I learned about skin cancer: A few years ago I started getting horrible migraines. I had to have an MRI of my brain to make sure that the melanoma hadn't spread there and was causing the headaches. I had no idea that skin cancer could invade the brain!

Re: skin cancer update - off, like a prom dress! - 05/23/09 09:18 PM

Thanks for trying, dsunicorn. The cream would not have helped the sun-related malignant tumor I had. Thanks crazymom for your useful information.

There are so many types of skin cancer there can't be one miracle cream for all of them. I don't believe there's a miracle cream for anything. We'd all be using it.
Posted by: Charlotte

Re: Skin Cancer - 11/21/11 06:07 PM

I have an appointment myself and hoping for the best. I unfortunately used to be a big time beach person and I have acquired a lot of sun spots and moles. I would really advise anyone who spends a lot of time in the sun to use sun blocker. I wish I had.
Posted by: Anne HolmesAdministrator

Re: Skin Cancer - 11/22/11 03:13 AM

Great advice, Charlotte, but not what we Boomer women were thinking about back in our teens, when we were in search of the perfect tan.

Who else remembers hanging out by the pool for hours on end, making up your own "tanning lotion" out of baby oil and iodine? Or using one of those silver tinfoil mats to focus the rays on your face?

Fortunately for me, I burn really easily, so I gave up searching for the perfect tan many years before most of my friends did!
Posted by: Ellemm

Re: Skin Cancer - 11/22/11 02:15 PM

Yes, Anne, I have come to be grateful for the fact that I freckle and burn (typical Irish dark hair and very fair skin) and had to quit any attempts at tanning. Now that I'm older, I can see the benefits of not smoking or sunning -- you sure don't think about that when you are young!

Now, I'm still kind of paranoid about the sun, even wearing a neck scarf in the car during the summer. I can actually pink up running errands, which is a pain. A lot of sun blocks give me a rash, so I cover up with something light.
Posted by: orchid

Re: Skin Cancer - 11/25/11 01:04 PM

I no longer sit out in the sun to tan and haven't for past 20 years.

Cycling gives me plenty of sun...I do have to be alert about sunblock. Same for winter, the sun can be powerful reflecting off the snow.