Posted by: Mountain Ash

Hello from United Kingdom - 12/30/05 11:03 PM

Hello everyone

looking forward to meeting you all.

Ash
Posted by: Danita

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/30/05 11:31 PM

WELCOME!

Tell us more about you, and how you found us!

What part of the United Kingdom do you live?

Danita

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 12:26 AM

Hello
I live in Scotland .near Edinburgh.

I am married and have two grown children both still single.
My work background was in education .Stopped last November and just waiting to see what life has planned
next. Would like to write text for new workers charting my
era...

Looking forward to many interesing contacts and new experiences.
Just love books... write some poetry which grew from journaling. My passion is my garden ..Love cats....feed the wild birds.

A friend who is Canadian sent me your information and it feels as if I am new girl at a new school.

Mountain Ash

I
Posted by: NHJackie

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 12:35 AM

Welcome, Mountain Ash,

You sound a lot like me, only I live in New Hampshire.

I'm also married with 2 grown children who are still single. I was in education for many years and love to write. Also fond of cats.

I look forward to getting to know you.
Posted by: LSmith5434

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 12:57 AM

Welcome from me too Moutain Ash....
I'm curious about your name....tell us about it?
You will really enjoy yourself here.
Lynne
Posted by: TVC15

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 01:34 AM

Welcome to the forums Mountain Ash!
Nice to meet you!
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 02:27 AM

Welcome Mountain Ash.....I've been to Edinburgh and really loved visiting your country. It's just beautiful.

I'm sure you will enjoy making new friends here - we are a diverse and interesting bunch here on the forum but one thing we ALL have in common is we love it here and enjoy welcoming new women into the fold.

[Big Grin]

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 03:26 AM

Hello new friends...

As a gardener I have favoured plants and trees..Mountain Ash is just that....an old story from Scotland says.
Plant a Mountain Ash at your door to keep bad spirits away...
I did...Its other name is Rowan.
Posted by: Bluebird

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 03:43 AM

Welcome, Ash! I think you're our first "poster" from Scotland. Is it as beautiful there as I've heard?
Make yourself at home and wander around!
Posted by: chatty lady

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 04:56 AM

A very warm welcome to you Mountain Ash. Lots of avid gardners here as well as cat and bird lovers....great group of women.
Posted by: yepthatsme2

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 05:09 AM

Welcome Ash...I know you will absolutely love it here...just like the rest of us.
It is so addictive... so expect to find yourself right here several times a day.
The company of women here...is heart warming.
Posted by: LuckyLady

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 05:11 AM

Welcome, MountainAsh. I'm new too and it has already become addictive. My son-in-law and his whole family relocated to Dallas from Scotland about 20 years ago. They are a wonderful family. My husband and I are native Texans and we still have some problems communicating. Our daughter had bagpipers at the wedding and my son-in-law and his father wore kilts. Look forward to chatting. LuckyLady
Posted by: Searcher

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 12/31/05 06:52 AM

Say, Mountain Ash,

I've heard we have Scottish relatives from way, way back. Does that count? I'm one of our wanna' be gardeners. But I do put plants in the ground every year. How they grow is questionable.....

Addictive is an understatement.

Welcome Aboard The Boomership!!!!

Searcher
Posted by: ladybug

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/01/06 03:53 AM

Mountain Ash, we share all the same interests, love to garden, feed the birds and I love my cat!

I am a former I.R.S. auditor and now, a stay at home mom. I've been married nearly 31 years and still am to the same man. We've got two children ages 20 and 18. I'm a strict vegetarian and have been for almost 11 years now. I also am into fitness and walking a lot - almost seven miles a day. I hope to see you making a lot of posts so welcome to our web site!
Posted by: Sherri

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/01/06 04:46 AM

Welcome Mountain Ash,

I would love to visit Scotland some day. Welcome to Boomer Friends!

Sherri
Posted by: jawjaw

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/01/06 06:43 PM

Welcome Mountain Ash. I visited Scotland in 1996 and fell in love with it. Edinburgh to be exact. I cried when I had to leave. Lovely place, and lovely people.

JJ
Posted by: Dotsie

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/01/06 07:28 PM

Welcome Mountain Ash. Two of my dearest elderly friends (who have both died) were from Scotland. They were warm and gentle. I loved their accent. WEre you born and raised there?
Posted by: norma

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/01/06 09:57 PM

'morning Ash, welcome and the best to you in this new year... gosh i think half our town was scottish when i was growing up, i'm sure you must have relatives here, or those here, are probably related to you somewhere along the line, (my husband included).... hey Ash, in my family we've watched Heartbeat, The Royal, Jack Frost, Rosemary and Thyme, to mention a few of the most enjoyable tv shows possible, have you also been addicted to these?

[ January 01, 2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: norma ]

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 02:25 AM

Happy New Year
such a welcome.

Yes born in Edinburgh...visit often ..drive there over the Forth Bridge. or by train..
I live in a village....near bye is the coast
ask any questions about Scotland...its history or culture and if I know I will share.
I enjoy writing poetry....trying to capture the essence of a place or event.

My Great Uncle emigrated to Canada and he left family there who will now have their own faimlies.
Sadly when Granma died so did the contact
He came home for his last year so I remember him.......

may 2006 be a good year.
Ash
Posted by: Sadie

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 05:05 AM

Welcome Moutain Ash,
My family history come from UK. My maiden name was"Staton" . We have a coat of arm from the Family of Staton's . In fact I do know how far my family history goes back from England . Some day I will get there . Welcome again.Hope we can talk more.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 11:39 PM

Hello All

I have a question.
When I joined I said that I did not want private emails..how do I change that...in fact edit my form.just cannot work this out
two days since joining
What I realise is that what I see here is what I got from my school friends and work collegues..a sisterhood..
since stopping work this vacancy has been there.
any one else feel like this.?
bye
Ash

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 11:46 PM

Yes, we are a sisterhood!! It is a major blessing for me as I have never had many women friends, let alone a group of them! It definitely fills a void for me.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 11:47 PM

Mountain, go to the top right corner of this page and click on my profile. You should be able to change it there.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 11:48 PM

Hi Ash...

Scroll all the way up to the top of the page...to the very right hand side of the page (Past Boomer Women Speak.com) you'll see my profile.
Click on that.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/02/06 11:49 PM

In "my profile" click on "edit preferences". Put a check mark where it says "allow private messages". You should be good to go!

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/03/06 07:49 PM

Bluebird, thanks for taking care of things. I love it.
Posted by: Songbird

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/04/06 08:34 AM

Welcome Mountain Ash! I believe I welcomed you in some other thread, but just in case I didn't: [Smile] Welcome! I'm glad you joined us. May your experience here be enriching and fulfilling! Oh, and a happy 2006 for you and yours [Wink] !

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/24/06 10:50 PM

Every day I familiarise myself with you all. I go into any web pages and feel interested in how diverse you are in the New World...
I do however feel alone at my side of the Atlantic and wonder if within all your knowlege you can advise me how to engage in some discusions.
I am not all that competent on my pc but enjoy how you all express yourselves.
Girls thank you for the smiles you allow me to have..
Love Ash

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 12:07 AM

Ash..just jump right in and post... what you think, feel, love. I really enjoyed when you were sharing... your poetry.
You have a talent you know.
Tell us what else you love doing...your dreams and such.
Would like to hear more about your country, family, and friends. Any and everything...don't be shy.
See a post you want to respond, go ahead...share your thoughts.
The more you post the more at home you will feel.
We are all sisters here, no matter how far apart.
Posted by: Evie

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 12:37 AM

A belated welcome, Mountain Ash.

We have a mountain ash tree in our backyard, which brings lots of birds when the berries are out [Smile]

I enjoy gardening, writing poetry, journaling, and cats - so I see we have a lot in common.

My mother's side of the family (great grandparents or something like that) came over from Scotland - clans MacLeod and MacLaren. I'd love to visit Scotland someday.
Posted by: Dianne

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 02:34 AM

I apologize for being so late in welcoming you. I'm excited to hear about your life and country.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 04:18 AM

O My such kindness..
I was born in 1946 so this year will be a special birthday..
Married with a daughter and son...Both as yet single and darlings. Love my country my church and my garden........
I write poetry and try to capture moments and experiences.I like reading and so admire those boomers who are in print...
My working background was in education I miss being in the hub of a school/college but hold dear my new life as a home person...doing things at a slower pace.sometimes.so anyone do contact me for a chat..we will discover similar thoughts I am sure.
Love from Scotland.
Ash...

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 07:03 PM

Mountain, you're one of the boomers that turns 60 this year. Woohoo! It seems to be the big news for the past few weeks. I don't know what all the hype is. We're as young as we feel.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 08:41 AM

Mountain,

You and I have much in common. I will also turn 60 this year, am retired from teaching and have a wonderful son and daughter who are both still single.

I've always wanted to visit Scotland, but haven't managed to get there yet. Maybe someday.
Posted by: Sandpiper

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 08:47 AM

Mountain, Welcome to the BWS boards. You've had an interesting, full life. Glad your Canadian friend sent you the URL to us.

This is a wonderful online community. It is full of warm, caring, loving, funny, prayerful women who really care about others. It is truely addictive at times. Love flows easily here.

So, sit back and enjoy being with us. Welcome!
Sandpiper

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 11:06 PM

I am so glad I posted again and to those boomer sisters be assured that anyone who gets as far as Edinburgh....I will meet you in a tea room and say hello in person.
My impression is that we are being through the net being allowed a chance to revisit the girls we were(and I know she is within us all)
Today is a special day in Scotland
Robert Burns Birthday is celebrated by Burn's Suppers
He is our national poet..every time you sing Auld Lang
Syne..you sing his words...
At these suppers a format of toasts are followed by songs and poems The meal is of.
Haggis Potatoes and Turnip(neeps) and a whiskey toast to The Lassies ...Rabbie was some man.....
Has anyone heard of this....?
Ash

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 11:24 PM

nay.. but it sounds lovely [Smile]

except for the neeps - not my favoritest of vegetables!! and...um... what are Haggis Potatoes made of??

[ January 25, 2006, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Evie ]

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/25/06 11:35 PM

So...will you be having Burn's supper today?
Oh...no neeps for me. But, I'll take an extra helping of potatoes.

The tea room will give me something to dream of...how nice. I would love to travel to Scotland.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:04 AM

Neeps are turnips.preferably .swede mashed
Haggis...oatmeal minced liver offal and onion boiled in a sheeps stomach,,NO KIDDING
Scotland had many poor people despite castles and palaces in the past...
There is a Burns poem
To A Haggis recited by the host.
it is central to a Burns supper. A piper pipes in before the woman(Poosie Nancy) who carries the cooked haggis in to clapping from the guests.
A dagger is plunged into the Haggis...
Fables about haggis being a bird circulate but my version is correct.
No ..supper for me. I cooked haddock tonight.However my daughter is attending the supper at her place of work.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:12 AM

Ash...I'll need to pass on the potatoes also.
Minced liver and onion boiled in a sheeps stomach...no can do.
Can do the haddock.
I just adore bag pipes...could listen for hours.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:16 AM

I am sending a poem of mine to show that although I posted about Robert Burns I am a modern (well you all know how old!!) woman who refused the stereotype
of a kilted Scot.
Despite being small Scotland has send explorers and was in the forefront of education and medicine.Born locally Andrew Carnegie was a poor weavers son who became wealthy in the US. again locally the inventor of Beta Bolockers Dr Black is a hero..and in my time.
Enjoy the humour of my poem...all references will be explained if you want to know more.
I am of course refering to the circular letter that sent Scots from their homes to the cities to Canada US and Australia so that sheep could take over the crofts
.A time of great mourning for many (To this day)

MY NAME IS NOT FIONA
I am a woman from Edinburgh
I have no plaid
I have no pibroch
My name is not Fiona

My home does not look
Like a shortbread tin
I do not keep cooked porridge
In a table drawer

I do not have the monarch
Of the glen
Above my fireplace
I have no chimney anyway

Had I been born earlier
I may have gutted fish
Picked blue flax
Up to my knees in water

I would not have worn tartan
I am a lowlander

No one in my family
can play the bagpipes.

I adore the landscape of Scotland
and weep for those who were
pushed from their own back door
by a circular letter

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:17 AM

Sheep's stomach???...Excuse me if I'm being rude, but EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! [Eek!]

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:26 AM

Ash, your poem is awesome. Thanks for sharing Scotland with us in your posts.

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 12:50 AM

I love your poem, Ash.

They tell me haggis is an acquired taste -- one I have no interest in acquiring. LOL
Posted by: Pam Kimmell

Re: Hello from United Kingdom - 01/26/06 02:15 AM

Wonderful poem Ash.....when we were on our vacation in Scotland a few years back we went to a "Scottish night" in a hotel where there was traditional dancing, recitation of several Robert Burns' works, and of course "a wee dram" to accompany a tiny slice of haggis. I came back with a copy of the recipe but I know it's gathering dust in the back of my recipe drawer...!